Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised this thread has gone on for so long, with so many delusional fanboys trying to defend lies and unethical business practices by Microsoft.

It's this simple:

Microsoft promised all WP8.1 devices will be upgraded to W10M.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2vwjQLAN08

Microsoft broke that promise.

Microsoft blamed the insiders on their decision to break the promise.

Fanboys and biased publications trying to justify Microsoft's lies by spewing further lies and excuses.

The End.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
One is that the promised feature update in the form of an OS update is not delivered. The second and much bigger one in my opinion is the straight killing of the 8/8.1 platform where apps will stop working and no new apps will be published.

No need to play word games by saying that developers can still develop for 8/8.1 as we all know that won't happen and no sane developer will maintain on a small dead platform.
where did you read the apps would just stop working? OK, no new ones will be released as devs are shifting to the UWP platform that makes the Windows 10 ecosystem nice...

And I do know devs won't make new app for Windows Phone 8.1 anymore but again, look at the prices of the list of supported phones you can buy now... Tech gets old and sometimes it's time to move on to a new phone.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I am surprised this thread has gone on for so long, with so many delusional fanboys trying to defend lies and unethical business practices by Microsoft.

It's this simple:

Microsoft promised all WP8.1 devices will be upgraded to W10M.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2vwjQLAN08

Microsoft broke that promise.

Microsoft blamed the insiders on their decision to break the promise.

Fanboys and biased publications trying to justify Microsoft's lies by spewing further lies and excuses.

The End.
if they are such liars, breaking all promises and stuff, what are you still doing here? Move to Android Central or iMore and see if other platforms are holy and fulfill everything they promise.
"We fanboys" just try to put these decisions into perpective instead of keep whining and hammering about this topic.

Do you now feel better? Do you think MSFT will now reconsider their decision? No, they won't so either you take it or you buy another phone. The end.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
There is no reasoning with you my friend. You just bulldoze past contrary evidence, dismissing it without consideration - you are like the terminator (just wrong). I do admire your unshakeable confidence in your own conviction. You're still wrong though. Your constant references to '******' are tiresome and lazy though, in fact it's a boring clich?.

I'll await the "evidence" because I haven't seen any.

Evidence of what exactly anyway?
  • Were people led to believe their devices will be updated to Windows 10? Yes.
  • Were they holding out for a long time so they can finally see their devices on par - feature wise - with other platforms? Sure.
  • Had they received any real major updates compared to other platforms in the long period they were waiting? Of course not.
  • Haven't they been through this with Windiws RT and Windows Phone 7? They have.
  • Isn't the broken promise going to make their entire hardware obsolete because the WP 8.1 Store is going to be obsolete? Obviously.
  • Weren't they told that WP 8 and Windows 8 now have a unified core and so they believed their OS is unlikely to be declared dead? You tell me.
  • Is people giving negative feedback on how bad the software is a sign that the software needs to get better, or an excuse for the company to bail on users? Are you kidding me?!

Even Daniel merely cites the financials of the operation as the excuse for Microsoft betraying the user base saying "you know, they had to betray people" (interestingly calling us obsolete audience) and he is more or less a fan of Microsoft. You go anything beyond that - denying the betrayal itself - and you are obviously a ******.

But hey, I'll wait for the "evidence". Clearly list the evidence, and I'll respond to each one of them...one by one.

Last edited:

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
if they are such liars, breaking all promises and stuff, what are you still doing here? Move to Android Central or iMore and see if other platforms are holy and fulfill everything they promise.
"We fanboys" just try to put these decisions into perpective instead of keep whining and hammering about this topic.

Do you now feel better? Do you think MSFT will now reconsider their decision? No, they won't so either you take it or you buy another phone. The end.

Don't worry. People are already gone. And soon enough we will leave the 12 of you to enjoy the beloved half OS.
The thread is called "Microsoft cheated Lumia users". If you don't think that, what are you doing here?

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Don't worry. People are already gone. And soon enough we will leave the 12 of you to enjoy the beloved half OS.
The thread is called "Microsoft cheated Lumia users". If you don't think that, what are you doing here?
let them choose whatever they want... I'm VERY happy with Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 on my Surface and desktop computers... that's all that matters to me.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
And I do know devs won't make new app for Windows Phone 8.1 anymore but again, look at the prices of the list of supported phones you can buy now... Tech gets old and sometimes it's time to move on to a new phone.

That's not a valid argument, it's just a matter of dumb margeting strategy. They want me to buy a new phone, that's something that can't be denied. What also can't be denied, is that my Nokia Lumia 925 runs Windows 10 Mobile 10586.164 fine. I installed it through the Insider app. It runs smooth, almost bugless and is superfast. So the argument that it can't work flawless is just simply wrong, and because of the hardware similarities that is also the case for other previous flagship devices such as the 1020, 920 and a bunch of other devices.

Will it be able to run smooth in a couple of years with a few more OS updates? I don't know, but I know this works fine. And I also know that Apple allows users to decide for themselves if a new iOS update is making the device too slow for them. Microsoft did something really stupid here: they did exactly the same thing as they did a couple of years ago: kick loyal windows phone supporters in the balls. And this time, they even did it worse; when I bought my Lumia 800 I didn't have any promises of getting an upgrade to WP8. Now with my Lumia 925 I did get that promise so I get kicked in the balls even harder.

My father -and many other Apple customers- buys a new iPhone every 3 to 4 years. iPhone 3 users still see new apps popping up in their app store every day. My Lumia 800 just had to be replaced in 2 years to be able to get the new WP8 apps, my lumia 925 is now 2 years old and it's the exact same thing all over again. I love the OS and would not want to go to Android or iOS, but they are making it really hard for me...

Way to go, Microsoft! Keep shooing your most loyal customers away!

PS Lumia 950/950XL owners, see this as a warning, by the end of 2017 you can also throw away your device!

Last edited:

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
where did you read the apps would just stop working? OK, no new ones will be released as devs are shifting to the UWP platform that makes the Windows 10 ecosystem nice...

Not sure if you remember what happened to the WP7 app store and apps - I do as I was there with my Lumia 800. Within a few months apps had started breaking and were not updated, were pulled from the shop entirely and nothing new was published to the shop.

It is blindingly obvious that that is exactly how this scenario will play out again.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll await the "evidence" because I haven't seen any.

Evidence of what exactly anyway?
  • Were people led to believe their devices will be updated to Windows 10? Yes.
  • Were they holding out for a long time so they can finally see their devices on par - feature wise - with other platforms? Sure.
  • Had they received any real major updates compared to other platforms in the long period they were waiting? Of course not.
  • Haven't they been through this with Windiws RT and Windows Phone 7? They have.
  • Isn't the broken promise going to make their entire hardware obsolete because the WP 8.1 Store is going to be obsolete? Obviously.
  • Weren't they told that WP 8 and Windows 8 now have a unified core and so they believed their OS is unlikely to be declared dead? You tell me.
  • Is people giving negative feedback on how bad the software is a sign that the software needs to get better, or an excuse for the company to bail on users? Are you kidding me?!

Even Daniel merely cites the financials of the operation as the excuse for Microsoft betraying the user base saying "you know, they had to betray people" (interestingly calling us obsolete audience) and he is more or less a fan of Microsoft. You go anything beyond that - denying the betrayal itself - and you are obviously a ******.

But hey, I'll wait for the "evidence". Clearly list the evidence, and I'll respond to each one of them...one by one.

The software is fine it is the old dual core S4 that is the limiting factor.

The devices that can run Windows 10 Mobile well are being upgraded. The ones that cannot are not.

Do not blame Microsoft for issues with outdated hardware.

The Snapdragon S4 was outdated in 2013 when the 1020 was released.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The devices that can run Windows 10 Mobile well are being upgraded. The ones that cannot are not.
Please stop promoting microsofts marketing strategy that is only trying to convince us to buy a new W10 device. Read my post above to see proof that it's just not true that the devices have "outdated hardware".

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Now this right here is "bulldozing over the contrary evidence". You say "The software is fine it is the old dual core S4 that is the limiting factor." and I reiterate the first bullet: "Were people led to believe their devices will be updated to Windows 10? Yes."

The hardware thing is now an excuse and doesn't pardon Microsoft.
Imagine if Microsoft figured Windows 10 doesn't run well on 950, but works well on 950 XL. If you are promised to get Windows 10 on 950, would a hardware excuse satisfy you? If you came here and said "I thought 950 is supposed to run Windows 10 well!" would you accept me saying "you see, 950 doesn't have this chip thing that 950 XL has so it won't work well".
You were told your device runs Windows 10 when you bought your device just like I expected my 1320 to run Windows 10 when I bought it because I was told it would. The rest is an excuse.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 was not around withe the 1020 cane out. It came out with Windows Phone 8.0 on it and it was upgraded to 8.1

You are talking bull****. The 1020 did run the preview but it was sub par running it.

Insiders would put up with it running Windows 10 Mobile but the general public would not.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 was not around withe the 1020 cane out. It came out with Windows Phone 8.0 on it and it was upgraded to 8.1

You are talking bull****. The 1020 did run the preview but it was sub par running it.

Insiders would put up with it running Windows 10 Mobile but the general public would not.
Please stop promoting microsofts marketing strategy that is only trying to convince us to buy a new W10 device. Read my post above to see proof that it's just not true that the devices have "outdated hardware".

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
You have served up exactly zero actual evidence so I am not sure where you're going with your post. Maybe it's just that his opinions bother you and your world view. Perhaps you're just afraid that he might be right and you would rather he kept quiet about it.
If you bothered to read back I first got hooked on his 'proof' of a promise. This link which referred to 3 years support was presented as proof of a promise broken. Trouble is it was nothing of the sort. There was a plain, easy to read qualification which was nicely ignored. Read it yourself....

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The 950 came with Windows 10 on so your point is not valid.

If the 950XL hardware supported some features in Windows 10 Mobile that the 950 does not that is just life and you have to deal with it.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

You are completely missing the point here.

The blame is with Microsoft, because they knew perfectly well what the hardware in the older devices was when they made the promise that "all WP8.1 devices will get W10".

It might be outdated hardware by todays standards but that does not change the underlying principle of Microsoft promising the update for said hardware and then breaking that promise.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Infantile b*llocks! Where did you get 12 from anyway, I'm pretty sure there are close to 20 of us ;)

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if you remember what happened to the WP7 app store and apps - I do as I was there with my Lumia 800. Within a few months apps had started breaking and were not updated, were pulled from the shop entirely and nothing new was published to the shop.

It is blindingly obvious that that is exactly how this scenario will play out again.
so because it happened in the past, it will happen again?
That's not a bright future you're looking at with history repeating itself...

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups; remember that.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

The blame is with Microsoft, because they knew perfectly well what the hardware in the older devices was when they made the promise that "all WP8.1 devices will get W10".

It might be outdated hardware by todays standards but that does not change the underlying principle of Microsoft promising the update for said hardware and then breaking that promise.

The S4 was outdated in 2013. Microsoft did offer the upgrade for said hardware via the insiders program but it was felt that the experience was not good enough to release it to the general public.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

I've said this before and I'll say it again : Microsoft messed up with communicating that all devices would get Windows 10 mobile but again (also) would you rather get a crappy experience than no experience (no upgrade)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa