The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-25-2016 01:42 PM
380 123 ...
tools
    I this so Serious, Microsoft keep promising from the earlier release of windows 10 mobile, saying all lumia will get the windows 10 mobile OS for compulsory update.
    But now , no update for 512MB devices. I will keep away from lumia devices. Microsoft told, they provide windows 10 has a service. and after some time, this gonna be stoped, by giving some bad reason. RIP MICROSOFT whole bunch cheaters. If you can't keep up you'r word , don't lie to the consumers.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 03-19-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: cleanup on aisle 5
    03-19-2016 07:10 AM
    I this so Serious, Microsoft keep promising from the earlier release of windows 10 mobile, saying all lumia will get the windows 10 mobile OS for compulsory update.
    But now , no update for 512MB devices. I will keep away from lumia devices. Microsoft told, they provide windows 10 has a service. and after some time, this gonna be stoped, by giving some bad reason. RIP MICROSOFT whole bunch cheaters. If you can't keep up you'r word , don't lie to the consumers.
    the decision was solely made on insider reviews on stability and performance. hardware restrictions are the major cause here as most of the now unsupported windows 10 devices are with snapdragon s4 processors. as of now these remain unsupported.

promises were made but because of the unsatisfactory performance of win 10 on those devices this decision was made. microsoft did do well by upgrading majority of upgradeable devices including low end 435. here we notice that minimum SoC requirement for windows 10 seems to be snapdragon 200 processor which are found in 435 low end and also recently launched 650 .

microsoft has even declared there wont be any second wave of windows 10 upgrade. while lumia icon is still being considered. whereas high end 925 is left behind. so its all about the outdated hardware which is the major culprit here.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 03-19-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: cleanup on aisle 5
    03-19-2016 07:57 AM
    Seriously, what??
    03-19-2016 07:57 AM
    So the excuse for the high end Icon and M8 is.....?
    03-19-2016 08:05 AM
    non of the 512MB devices not getting windows 10 mobile OS
    03-19-2016 08:06 AM
    Thing is, they always said the 512mb devices might not get the update or might get a version with reduced functionality. Every other device was supposed to get it, and to spring the announcement on everyone with an x2x that they won't on launch day is very poor of Microsoft, especially after they abandoned all the 7 devices when they moved to 8 as well.
    03-19-2016 10:22 AM
    [WARN]Mobile Nations Sites are Family Friendly.

Cuss all you want in your living room, but keep it off the forum.

Foul language is not tolerated here.[/WARN]
    03-19-2016 10:46 AM
    I feel your pain. My phone (Lumia 810) won't be upgradeable either, even though it is technically capable. Mainly because the carrier won't validate newer firmware (stuck on Amber and technically on WP8.0, as I have to use the developer preview to get to 8.1).

So... I'm just waiting to see what the newer phones look like when they come out, and I will be getting a non-branded phone. Hopefully the one I pick won't be orphaned quickly (I have a knack of picking those).
    03-19-2016 11:12 AM
    at least they give us reduced functionality. but they not even did that too. i loved the windows phone but now i'm really sad
    03-19-2016 11:16 AM
    Maybe everyone wanted 10 on the preview but were to bothered to give any feedback.
    As a Windows Insider, you get the Windows Feedback app, which makes it easy to send your thoughts straight to us. We know you early adopters aren't shy, so bring it on. We want to hear the good, the bad, and the kludgy.
    03-20-2016 01:46 PM
    There's lots of people planning on leaving the platform soon and I was told the same - they feel cheated and disappointed. I'm not going to pick sides or blame anyone, it's just an observation of this complicated situation our community has to deal with right now. And it gives you something to think about. How will this reflect on Windows Mobile and ultimately those of us who don't dig Android and iOS one bit? Our community keeps getting smaller with time which is starting to creep me out.
    03-20-2016 01:51 PM
    So the excuse for the high end Icon and M8 is.....?
    ICON: Verizon
    M8: Carriers in general

Note that the devices to get the updates were the unlocked ones. Did the AT&T 1520 get W10M with the rest?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-20-2016 01:57 PM
    ICON: Verizon
    M8: Carriers in general

Note that the devices to get the updates were the unlocked ones. Did the AT&T 1520 get W10M with the rest?
    Do you really expect any carriers to be ready?
    03-20-2016 02:56 PM
    well they had time to get ready :D
    03-20-2016 04:15 PM
    So where are the ambulance chasing attorneys threatening to file class action lawsuits? lmao

But seriously, it wouldn't be a surprise if people tried to get the FTC or on a more local level their BBB involved.
    03-20-2016 06:55 PM
    I must say I've always recommended windows phones as I liked where company/OS was heading, but after being stung from win7 phones not being upgraded to win8 and now after recommending some win8 phones that won't be upgraded to win10, I doubt ill be recommending anymore windows phones. Going to look like a fool as Ive already told them they would be upgraded MS just can't keep making huge mistakes if they want to get anywhere, I'll still stick to my windows phone as android is crappy and ios is just over priced.
    03-20-2016 07:14 PM
    I feel your pain. My phone (Lumia 810) won't be upgradeable either, even though it is technically capable. Mainly because the carrier won't validate newer firmware (stuck on Amber and technically on WP8.0, as I have to use the developer preview to get to 8.1).

So... I'm just waiting to see what the newer phones look like when they come out, and I will be getting a non-branded phone. Hopefully the one I pick won't be orphaned quickly (I have a knack of picking those).
    Wow! The 810 was my first smartphone on T-Mobile in Dec. 2012. Glad to hear you are still using it.
    I have to say that phone was the smoothest experience I have had on a windows phone. I now wish I had kept it. Solid phone that was eol'd too soon.
    03-20-2016 07:57 PM
    I'm not even switching off .164 on my Lumia 1520 to get an "official update" because as soon as I do I'd go right back to preview for the last build and then I'm not official again.

What's the point? Just keep up with the latest preview builds and your not missing out assuming your phone can run 10 smoothly to begin with.
    03-20-2016 08:01 PM
    Lol at all the people expecting perfection with the insider builds, leaving awful feedback, only to help ruin the chances of them getting the upgrade. Lots of back pedaling now. "But but but, it was fine on my x20, even though I complained about it nonstop before."

Signed, 822 owner

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Last edited by xandros9; 03-20-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: minor sanitizing
    03-20-2016 08:15 PM
    I'm not even going to bother to read beyond the first post. Look guys, Microsoft NEVER explicitly promised to update all Windows phones to Windows 10 Mobile. They said their GOAL was to update all Windows phones, but this is what they get for telling us anything. Because they were cautiously optimistic long before they had any concrete answers about what would be possible, half the Windows world is yelling and whining because they think they were cheated. Microsoft did exactly what was expected of them and it's a whole lot better than a lot of other companies. They said they'd TRY to update as many phones as humanly possible, than let us all have VERY early access through the Windows Insider program, and carefully and meticulously evaluated the performance and reliability of every phone that joined the Insider program. After months of testing and developing it became clear that some Windows phones CANNOT run Windows 10 Mobile safely. So Microsoft, intent on providing the best experience possible, has to take all these hits because people don't understand that, sometimes, three year old phones can't run the latest software. Microsoft never made promises, they made optimistic hints that they would do their best, and they did. They sure did a lot better than anything but a Nexus device on Android, and Android Central even took note of that, if no one noticed that happened. You know what? Well done Microsoft. You're taking a hit for no reason, but well done. The update is going much smoother than most people expected, even if it's apparently just not good enough.
    03-20-2016 08:26 PM
    the decision was solely made on insider reviews on stability and performance. hardware restrictions are the major cause here as most of the now unsupported windows 10 devices are with snapdragon s4 processors. as of now these remain unsupported.

promises were made but because of the unsatisfactory performance of win 10 on those devices this decision was made. microsoft did do well by upgrading majority of upgradeable devices including low end 435. here we notice that minimum SoC requirement for windows 10 seems to be snapdragon 200 processor which are found in 435 low end and also recently launched 650 .

microsoft has even declared there wont be any second wave of windows 10 upgrade. while lumia icon is still being considered. whereas high end 925 is left behind. so its all about the outdated hardware which is the major culprit here.
    The reasons from MSFT are pure excuses. They are first party, didn't they use their old product as testbed BEFORE they openly made their promise last year during presentation? Aren't there any old devices in the field running preview build stably? Performance issue is another joke, the SoC 430/435 using are even weaker than the old S4 plus SoC. The only honest reason to me is political consideration, they don't want to pay QCom for new driver support or they don't want to put more resources into old products. I don't blame them for this because those EOL product are really out of profit/maintenance cycle but you SHOULDN'T GIVE FAKE PROMISE THEN COVER WITH STUPID EXCUSES.

I'm not even going to bother to read beyond the first post. Look guys, Microsoft NEVER explicitly promised to update all Windows phones to Windows 10 Mobile.
    Oh yes they did

I don't know since when the word "WILL" means "TRY" and "ALL" means "SOME"?

Is there new definitions updated in MS fanboys' dictionary?
    03-20-2016 08:31 PM
    I think a big question here is not how much Insider's complained, etc. I think the question that we should be asking is...

Attachment 124053
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2016 08:42 PM
    Running a Lumia 640 currently, I'm not directly affected by Microsoft's decision to only support newer devices. That said, I do have my old 925 running the preview that I have as a backup phone (and also a 635 that I picked up cheap a while back as my initial device for running early Insider Preview builds.) So I would like it if those were officially upgradeable to extend their useful lives as backup devices.

But I have to agree that Microsoft's messaging has been poor. From the beginning they should have made it clear that they were going to provide Insider builds for as many phones as possible and as W10M progressed, they'd incorporate feedback from that to decide which phones would ultimately get the official update. Even when they announced the final phones, they did it poorly in my opinion, leaving off the Icon, killing the idea of a 2nd wave, and then when questioned stating that they were still looking into it. Couldn't they just state something like at this point we're launching W10M officially for the following phones; we're still evaluating an eventual official release for the Icon (or for certain other phones if any others still have a chance.) The way they did it, it looked like they were waffling on their plans.

The other thing is I wonder - assuming Microsoft's stated reasoning about how they chose to cut phones based on insider feedback is accurate - how much divergence was there in expectations between the "insiders" and the Windows 10 team. I mean, if an insider voted that they wouldn't recommend a build because it was significantly slower than Windows 8.1, would they have voted the same way if they realized that it would possibly mean not getting an official update at all? (I assume that insiders were expecting Microsoft to keep optimizing W10M based on feedback....)

Would Windows Phone users rather have a compromised experience, but be able to run the latest apps written to the current SDKs? Here's an experience of mine from the Apple side of the fence. I have an iPad 2. Not an iPad Air 2, the old iPad 2. I picked it up on a deal when the iPad 3 launched; it was before the original Surface came out, maybe Spring 2012? Anyway, unlike the 1st gen iPad, the iPad 2 is still getting iOS updates and runs the latest version (v9.2.1 currently). However, it's gotten really slow with more recent versions of iOS, and Safari in particular seems a bit crashy, probably due to the small memory. Nowadays I don't use it for much of anything other than a way to keep my toe in the iOS waters, and also to run apps that aren't available on Windows Phone. Although I also now have an Android phone I switch between with my 640, so even that's less frequent. But anyway, if Apple asked me if I'd recommend running iOS 9.X on the iPad (or even iOS 8.x for that matter), and I was just comparing the experience from when I first got it running earlier versions, I'd have said no. But that also would have made it much less useful as a device now.
    03-20-2016 10:54 PM
    Lol at all the people expecting perfection with the insider builds, leaving awful feedback, only to help ruin the chances of them getting the upgrade. Lots of back pedaling now. "But but but, it was fine on my x20, even though I complained about it nonstop before."

Signed, 822 owner

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I got what you're saying, and agree to an extent. I can understand the frustrations (practically promised an os that won't officially materialize for many, and etc)

But MSFT didn't give too many options on the type of feedback that could be given in the feedback app. Actually only two: Suggestions & Problems. So you get the feedback you ask for. Perhaps they should've added an 'What do you like' option as well. Really, I mean the OS kept getting better with each build, for many .. buy they only wanted to hear what was wrong and what was wanted.
    Laura Knotek and RumoredNow like this.
    03-20-2016 11:16 PM
    The reasons from MSFT are pure excuses. They are first party, didn't they use their old product as testbed BEFORE they openly made their promise last year during presentation? Aren't there any old devices in the field running preview build stably? Performance issue is another joke, the SoC 430/435 using are even weaker than the old S4 plus SoC. The only honest reason to me is political consideration, they don't want to pay QCom for new driver support or they don't want to put more resources into old products. I don't blame them for this because those EOL product are really out of profit/maintenance cycle but you SHOULDN'T GIVE FAKE PROMISE THEN COVER WITH STUPID EXCUSES.

Oh yes they did

I don't know since when the word "WILL" means "TRY" and "ALL" means "SOME"?

Is there new definitions updated in MS fanboys' dictionary?
    here is the elephant in the room : most of the devices carrying s4 chips are dual core whereas the new snapdragon 212 processors are quad core. i guess that explains it all. :)
    popiter34 likes this.
    03-21-2016 01:00 AM
380 123 ...