Missing features (or they are very well hidden)

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
All available on Windows Store - I installed "QR Code Reader", Shazam and Soundhound on my Lumia 950 W10M 10596.164.
Pierre

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I mean the builtin WP 8.1 features accessible from the search button. Why should I have to use a third party app?
I tested Shazam: it works but it is very slow to start (7 to 10 seconds) when builtin tool was very fast. This is a regression to me.

I just found I can't do vocal command anymore from the search button (like "call home"). Cortana is not available so how do I proceed now?

However the builtin flashlight is a very nice feature.

NeoDerGrosse

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Music search is there, but it's really hidden. You have to press the voice command button first, then the music search button appears in the upper right corner.

QR code reader is gone for a while. Since Cortana appeared on Windows Phone 8 this feature is absent.

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Music search is there, but it's really hidden. You have to press the voice command button first, then the music search button appears in the upper right corner.

QR code reader is gone for a while. Since Cortana appeared on Windows Phone 8 this feature is absent.

What is the voice command button? You mean the search button? I tried, but can't find any music button in the upper right corner.
I had QR code reader on my WP8.1 until I "upgraded" to W10M. Cortana is not available in my country language (french canada).

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
QR Code Reader is gone. You will have to get over it and use a third party app.

You can try typing "What song Is playing?" in cortana

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Really??? "You will have to get over it and use a third party app"
The fact is you proposed Cortana as a solution when I already stated twice that Cortana is not available for me.
I may get over it, that doesn't mean I'm happy with this situation, as third party app are slower than built-in functions. I don't have anything to replace the vocal commands. This is a functional regression.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The fact is you proposed Cortana as a solution when I already stated twice that Cortana is not available for me.
I may get over it, that doesn't mean I'm happy with this situation, as third party app are slower than built-in functions. I don't have anything to replace the vocal commands. This is a functional regression.

I am in Canada using United states as region and language USA. Not only does this guarantee great success with cortana and features but also the store is WAY better in US region. Same apps/games but way more ratings/comments. This creates a different order of best rated games/apps. They need to merge everything. It's so silly that an app may have 1 rating in Canadian region with a 5 star but then you go to U.S. and there's hundreds giving it a low rating. Makes it easier to fall victim to fake apps and other stuff.

You can still have a french keyboard and such.

Oh and I use QR Scanner RS.

You can also get Shazam app. Redstone has a music button in the search area, but I removed redstone due to it being a battery eating bug nightmare. Hehe

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh...so the music button may be back in a later build.. That's interesting. So the qr code could be too.
I know I can make Cortana works but I don't want to change my language (would you change to French or any other language to use it?).
Cortana could use French from France for French Canada, at least for basic command: "appeller maison" is same in all French variations.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I used Windows 10 for about 3 months before finding out that this feature still exists in Windows 10. I, like the OP, tried Shazam and was disappointed with the results. When trying to identify background music in a TV show, it would tell me the name of the TV episode instead of the song.

What is the voice command button?

I don't know if it's different with French regional settings, but the way I do it is press and hold the search button to enable voice commands. Alternately, you can press the search button, then tap the microphone button to the right of the search text box.

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hum... if I press and hold the search button, I get nothing. Nothing is happening, no search page, no vibration, nothing at all. If I just press it, I get the bing search page.
Anyone else can confirm if it works on non English language phone?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hum... if I press and hold the search button, I get nothing. Nothing is happening, no search page, no vibration, nothing at all. If I just press it, I get the bing search page.
Anyone else can confirm if it works on non English language phone?

Tap Search, then tap hamburger, Then try Cortana to enable everything (if available).
If not available, you got only Bing text search and nothing else.

In Italy, Cortana is available and long pressing search open her in voice listening mode

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Tap Search, then tap hamburger, Then try Cortana to enable everything (if available).
If not available, you got only Bing text search and nothing else.

Thank you for the confirmation. Cortana is not available for me so I'm stuck with bing search. Having a dedicated button to only open Bing search page is so useful on a "smart"phone. :|

NeoDerGrosse

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Music search is tied to Cortana and I wouldn't count on Microsoft adding it. Your best chance is that Cortana will become available in Canada.

But since then, have you considered using France as region to get Cortana? It's not perfect, but at least it's not an other language.

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
But since then, have you considered using France as region to get Cortana? It's not perfect, but at least it's not an other language.

The issue is that changing country/region just for Cortana to be available is leading to so much annoying side effects that it is not a easy choice to make.
It really is an issue not having a separate country/region configuration just for Cortana that would make your proposal an acceptable alternative.
I am in Belgium, French speaking... Much closer to Paris than Canada and yet, setting region to France is not a choice I have made due to these side effects.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The issue is that changing country/region just for Cortana to be available is leading to so much annoying side effects that it is not a easy choice to make.
It really is an issue not having a separate country/region configuration just for Cortana that would make your proposal an acceptable alternative.
I am in Belgium, French speaking... Much closer to Paris than Canada and yet, setting region to France is not a choice I have made due to these side effects.

funny enough she is available for japan and china, you know, those places where wp literally doesn't exist

OP I think your only choice is setting your phone as if you lived in france, you can select kb and language separately so no problem there, I live in a Spanish speaking country and my phone is like I'm in the US, for me its just a few options that enable features, not select which country I'm in, that's how the software sees it, don't be fooled :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre