Windows 10 mobile Lumia 640 official Update battery drain

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to Official windows 10 mobile using Upgrade advisor. Was smooth installation and worked fine. Then i got it to full charge and battery usage was mild. After 24hrs it was about 35% charge. I took it outside for a small time and within 30 minutes it died.

Anyone know anything? I had turned off WiFi, Bluetooth, location, sync setting...

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded to Official windows 10 mobile using Upgrade advisor. Was smooth installation and worked fine. Then i got it to full charge and battery usage was mild. After 24hrs it was about 35% charge. I took it outside for a small time and within 30 minutes it died.

Anyone know anything? I had turned off WiFi, Bluetooth, location, sync setting...

battery drain is an ongoing issue with the windows 10 mobile. have patience and wait for future builds. :) . perform a hard reset and see if that helps out.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
One of the biggest culprits in the battery drain has been Messaging+Skype. If you aren't actively using Skype for video chats, be sure to log out from the Skype service and then you will only be using the SMS messaging portion of the app. If you get prompted when sending text messages as to which service to use (SMS / Skype) then you are logged in to Skype still, and it's going to drain your battery pretty quickly.

Second thing you can do is check the list of apps allowed to run in the background and disable any that really don't need it. Some like Messaging will need permission, but others like MS Office apps don't. This should help out a bit more on the battery life. If you are still experiencing a high rate of drain after doing these steps, then you may have to perform a hard reset and start fresh again. It's always better when upgrading from W8.1 to W10 to do the reset and build a fresh system rather than restoring from the W8.1 saved profile. This eliminates any mixing of the older W8.1 apps and data with the newer W10 system.

My L640 can usually get 2 full days on a charge with moderate use, and about 3 days over the weekend when I'm not really using it. So I know it's possible for you to get similar results.

awidy seiza

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
You should hard reset and fresh install (don't restore backup)
Mine was upgraded and done hard reset,everything works well and battery goes for up 8 hours with normal use (social,browsing,take photos,music)

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
If you are using glance, set to turn off in 15 minutes. Also, change your email setting to check your inbox less frequently.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
battery drain is an ongoing issue with the windows 10 mobile. have patience and wait for future builds. :) . perform a hard reset and see if that helps out.
I just installed and will reset it soon. Hope it will be fine now. I was getting around 24hrs with normal use. Had a hard reset before upgrade and started fresh. Does that count to smoothness or I have to reset again with windows 10?

One of the biggest culprits in the battery drain has been Messaging+Skype. If you aren't actively using Skype for video chats, be sure to log out from the Skype service and then you will only be using the SMS messaging portion of the app. If you get prompted when sending text messages as to which service to use (SMS / Skype) then you are logged in to Skype still, and it's going to drain your battery pretty quickly.

Second thing you can do is check the list of apps allowed to run in the background and disable any that really don't need it. Some like Messaging will need permission, but others like MS Office apps don't. This should help out a bit more on the battery life. If you are still experiencing a high rate of drain after doing these steps, then you may have to perform a hard reset and start fresh again. It's always better when upgrading from W8.1 to W10 to do the reset and build a fresh system rather than restoring from the W8.1 saved profile. This eliminates any mixing of the older W8.1 apps and data with the newer W10 system.

My L640 can usually get 2 full days on a charge with moderate use, and about 3 days over the weekend when I'm not really using it. So I know it's possible for you to get similar results.
Yes, I signed out from skype the first hour itself. I want my messaging to be clean from online activity. Had turned off different apps from background, but i feel confused with multiple places to control background running.

How did you upgrade on lumia 640? It is still not available
You have to install UpgradeAdvisor to get update

You should hard reset and fresh install (don't restore backup)
Mine was upgraded and done hard reset,everything works well and battery goes for up 8 hours with normal use (social,browsing,take photos,music)
Let me check with hard reset :)

Was your L640 the at&t version?
I am running a version without Carrier Lock (In India)

If you are using glance, set to turn off in 15 minutes. Also, change your email setting to check your inbox less frequently.
Glance is turned off.

I feel the gallery was refreshing when i closed and the Onedrive must have did something even though i am not logged into onedrive from photos app. Anyone experienced that?

awidy seiza

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Mine have been quietly good performance battery,all app was allowed to running background,including messaging and skype, but battery can used for all day

This is the best experience of w10m compared with insider realese before

Aithan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I hope someone might be able to answer my questions.

I'm not on Windows 10 (on Denim, still, and am on Insider but haven't upgraded), BUT I have a Lumia 640 LTE (yes, on AT&T, but successfully running T-Mobile ROM with correct bands, etc, and everything works fine) and I've been having a seemingly specific battery drain issue on the Denim firmware.

The reason I am posting in this thread in particular is because of @Rugish Dapeca 's comment regarding the battery drain issue re: Skype and I was wondering if Skype (and Internet Explorer) is a battery drain on all Lumias and on all versions of Windows for Windows Phones... or if it's only an issue on Windows 10.

(If this post ought to be moved to its own thread or forum, please do so and excuse me for posting in the wrong place.)

The reason I'm asking is because I've been having a battery drain issue on my 640 and I THINK I've been able to track it down to regular Skype and Internet Explorer usage being the two biggest culprits... but I'm not positive and if I can confirm or deny with other Windows Phone users, I would really like to before I finally give in and do a hard factory reset and start all over.

I can listen to music overnight/6+ hours nonstop through headphones, watch HD video clips, music videos, and movies on my SD card, browse OneDrive, and even type up Word and One Note documents while syncing with OneDrive with minimal or 'expected' battery usage, but when I'm using Internet Explorer or Skype - especially Skype, my battery usage starts getting out of hand. Intense text messaging can be a bit bad at times, but better than Skype and phone calls are fine, too, as far as I can tell.

I used to own a Lumia 635 and where I had noticed a potentially mild issue, it wasn't even remotely this bad (I don't think)... but then again, the 635 also had a different screen type, etc.

I'm a veteran Windows Phone user and have Battery Saver always on, Bluetooth and Location and NFC (and etc) always off, etc., and if it weren't for Skype and Internet Explorer (and maybe Microsoft Health app since I have a Band 2, but I disallowed background processes and only turn on Bluetooth once a day to sync), my phone's battery life is otherwise fairly excellent.

I know that at this point, a hard reset + clean start/no restore might be my only option (or getting a new 640 if it's faulty), but do I really need to?

Is this likely a phone problem/general system problem or a Skype and Internet Explorer problem or... something else?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I hope someone might be able to answer my questions.

I'm not on Windows 10 (on Denim, still, and am on Insider but haven't upgraded), BUT I have a Lumia 640 LTE (yes, on AT&T, but successfully running T-Mobile ROM with correct bands, etc, and everything works fine) and I've been having a seemingly specific battery drain issue on the Denim firmware.

The reason I am posting in this thread in particular is because of @Rugish Dapeca 's comment regarding the battery drain issue re: Skype and I was wondering if Skype (and Internet Explorer) is a battery drain on all Lumias and on all versions of Windows for Windows Phones... or if it's only an issue on Windows 10.

(If this post ought to be moved to its own thread or forum, please do so and excuse me for posting in the wrong place.)

The reason I'm asking is because I've been having a battery drain issue on my 640 and I THINK I've been able to track it down to regular Skype and Internet Explorer usage being the two biggest culprits... but I'm not positive and if I can confirm or deny with other Windows Phone users, I would really like to before I finally give in and do a hard factory reset and start all over.

I can listen to music overnight/6+ hours nonstop through headphones, watch HD video clips, music videos, and movies on my SD card, browse OneDrive, and even type up Word and One Note documents while syncing with OneDrive with minimal or 'expected' battery usage, but when I'm using Internet Explorer or Skype - especially Skype, my battery usage starts getting out of hand. Intense text messaging can be a bit bad at times, but better than Skype and phone calls are fine, too, as far as I can tell.

I used to own a Lumia 635 and where I had noticed a potentially mild issue, it wasn't even remotely this bad (I don't think)... but then again, the 635 also had a different screen type, etc.

I'm a veteran Windows Phone user and have Battery Saver always on, Bluetooth and Location and NFC (and etc) always off, etc., and if it weren't for Skype and Internet Explorer (and maybe Microsoft Health app since I have a Band 2, but I disallowed background processes and only turn on Bluetooth once a day to sync), my phone's battery life is otherwise fairly excellent.

I know that at this point, a hard reset + clean start/no restore might be my only option (or getting a new 640 if it's faulty), but do I really need to?

Is this likely a phone problem/general system problem or a Skype and Internet Explorer problem or... something else?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Skype normally eats battery faster. Internet Explorer was just at boundaries for me with Denim. You should check whether skype and other important apps are installed on Phone or SD card. May be there is some relation with battery drain.

Aithan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi teckris!

Thanks for the reply. Skype is on the Phone and there is no option/App location for Internet Explorer. I think I tried moving Skype to SD before and it didn't work.

Does it matter where the apps are? Phone versus SD?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi teckris!

Thanks for the reply. Skype is on the Phone and there is no option/App location for Internet Explorer. I think I tried moving Skype to SD before and it didn't work.

Does it matter where the apps are? Phone versus SD?

Internet Explorer didn't exists anymore. And you can find apps location in Settings -> System -> Storage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3