Why do I have deferred app updates?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There are 2 reasons
a) /some/ updates are Fast Ring only. Maps for instance. Or they appear first on Redstone1, and are backported later to TH2 if no new API is needed
b) regional differences.

The issue is : no windows blog, including WC, mentions "we got this update only on our insider devices".

Well, after having ranted a while here and on MSPU, this is starting to change; see the last article by Daniel on the Outlook update, where he reckons there is no logicial pattern. We don't have any clue why some devices, insiders or not receive updates first, other later.

So starting from now, don't stress. You're not doing anything wrong and, ultimately, you'll get these updates. Maybe a week later, or 2. But you'll get them, and only that matters, doesn't it?

Checkoff

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If thats the case, its not a problem. But someone should say clearly that updates get rolled out in waves and NOTHING is wrong with the phones or whatever...
Ok, lets relax ;)

Checkoff

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
just got an update for XBOX on my L830. At least some unimportant updates are working.... oh well...

setting up a new L640 tomorrow as a birthday present. Hope it gets ANY updates then.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
just got an update for XBOX on my L830. At least some unimportant updates are working.... oh well...

setting up a new L640 tomorrow as a birthday present. Hope it gets ANY updates then.

do let us know the app version later on phone-camera on when you update your 640 :)

have a great birthday party :)

* got xbox updated on my 730 - seems true that app updates are indeed differed by devices as this proves there is nothing wrong on the devices but it is MS who is controlling and targeting specific devices :)

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
do let us know the app version later on phone-camera on when you update your 640 :)

have a great birthday party :)

* got xbox updated on my 730 - seems true that app updates are indeed differed by devices as this proves there is nothing wrong on the devices but it is MS who is controlling and targeting specific devices :)

I think the problem is regional, not by a device model. None of my Lumia devices (550, 830, 930) are receiving the latest system app updates (photos, camera, mail+calendar) in the UK. The 550 is on Redstone and even that isn't getting them.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: differed app updates!

I got today an update: ver 2016.218.141.0

But WHY I cannot get video stabilization on my 650 ???

EDIT: some updates ago I got video stabilization on My 520 and it works perfect. Then disappeared

Digital Image Stabilization was enabled in earlier versions of the camera app for the Lumia 650, but they removed the option in last update (not the latest one). I'm not entirely sure why, as DIS did work ok when I tested it (see samples here)

Oddly the option wasn't removed for the Lumia 550, despite it having a lower CPU clock.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

yep received 14mb xbox update today... photos, camera, windows store as well.
is digital video stabilization a new feature? it's below WinCam video settings..

Ben_NC

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Waiting here for the recently updated Outlook Mail and Calendar app. Currently running an Insider Slow build. Hope we'll get further clarification about how the app updates are rolling out. I'll post if this app (mail & calendar) becomes available for me.

Checkoff

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

It installed the same (older) versions like on my L830.
Well ok then we just wait...ok

Ben_NC

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Alarm update. No Camera (may not need that one for my device - not needed in any case for me).
Still waiting for the Outlook Mail & Calendar update; really want to have that proper email formatting.
I really, really hope msft doesn't start to give vital app updates ONLY to 'Select Phones'. I'm not saying we won't get these updates.. but I don't know. What better way to get people to leave an unsupported os build (like Threshold will be), than to NOT push vital sys apps to their devices.

But as has been said; will just have to wait and see who is getting what apps, and who is not.

[Lumia 521 - .164 slow]

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Alarm update. No Camera (may not need that one for my device - not needed in any case for me).
Still waiting for the Outlook Mail & Calendar update; really want to have that proper email formatting.
I really, really hope msft doesn't start to give vital app updates ONLY to 'Select Phones'. I'm not saying we won't get these updates.. but I don't know. What better way to get people to leave an unsupported os build (like Threshold will be), than to NOT push vital sys apps to their devices.

But as has been said; will just have to wait and see who is getting what apps, and who is not.

[Lumia 521 - .164 slow]

I guess core app updates are BY FEEDBACK collected MODEL by model. My 520 doesn't get. My 650 GET.

Ben_NC

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
i just got alarm and camera. still office, photos and outlook (maybe more?) missing.

strange, but who knows

What phone and OS / Build please.

=== Note to posters: We could narrow this down, and see who is getting the updates & who is not.. if you would, include your device, region and OS / build. Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb