03-25-2016 03:08 PM
33 12
tools
    how to install android apps in windows phone 10 any options.
    03-22-2016 04:51 AM
    Microsoft officially cancels 'Project Astoria' plans for porting Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.
    It can't be done.
    I believe it was something that Microsoft enabled on an earlier preview build, but can no longer be done.
    03-22-2016 05:14 AM
    Microsoft officially cancels 'Project Astoria' plans for porting Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.
    03-22-2016 03:21 PM
    Thats a bit sad, such potential... wasted... They could've allowed to install these apps at least temporarily till they're able to offer them on MS store. Make the installation process hard so only experianced powerusers would be able to do this and voila, happy community (at least some of) with apps and this beautiful, mininalistic os.!
    03-22-2016 07:39 PM
    Apparently the Android layer gunked up the works and slowed the system down over time... (Sound familiar? O_o)
    03-22-2016 07:53 PM
    Apparently the Android layer gunked up the works and slowed the system down over time... (Sound familiar? O_o)
    Yep, talking big and then failing to deliver is a Microsoft specialty we are all familiar with.
    Greg Wenzler and xandros9 like this.
    03-22-2016 09:29 PM
    Yep, talking big and then failing to deliver is a Microsoft specialty we are all familiar with. That's what you meant, right?
    Noooo... I'm referring to all the complaints about how Android handsets slow down over time and need a reset to blow out the gunk. I'm pretty sure you knew that though.
    03-22-2016 09:33 PM
    The other issue is that this would have created rampant piracy. The developers were supposed to port their Android apps. It was never meant to be something where ordinary users could just install any old Android apps they felt like installing on Windows 10 Mobile.
    03-22-2016 09:49 PM
    Too bad there isn't a way to install working Windows apps on Windows phone
    03-22-2016 10:02 PM
    So glad this was cancelled. I don't want Android crapps on my Lumia.

I don't mind the iOS ports though.
    03-22-2016 10:06 PM
    Is this a blanket statement?
    Which ones do you consider inferior?
    Are the Microsoft built apps for Android garbage?
    03-22-2016 10:11 PM
    Osmosis. Preferably the windows phone on top and be sure NFC is turned on. It helps.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    03-22-2016 11:11 PM
    Is this a blanket statement?
    Which ones do you consider inferior?
    Are the Microsoft built apps for Android garbage?
    I want nothing Google related in my phone and as i said when Astoria was a thing, it slows hardware down. Notice how laggy the builds with astorias were and immediately after it was tremovred improvements were noticed..

Microsoft apps are nowhere as better as the Android users of Windows central will have you believe. I noticed improvements and what not, but nothing that makes them immensely better.

Crappy Reddit apps on Android.
    YouTube official app just feels a mess.
    03-22-2016 11:26 PM
    Place an android phone that has the desired apps installed on top of the Windows Phone you'd like the apps to be installed upon. Place the two phones on a straight roadway. Hop in your car/truck, drive exactly one mile away from the two phones, and turn the vehicle around. Make sure that your Flux Capacitor is functioning as it should. Signal to the Doc that you're ready to roll. As soon as Doc gives you the signal, put the car in drive and apply pressure to the accelerator. You must hit the two phones with your front, right tire at exactly 55 miles per hour in order for the android apps to install correctly. If you don't hit the phones at exactly 55 mph, you will only have two ruined phones. Good luck. ;D
    03-22-2016 11:27 PM
    Place an android phone that has the desired apps installed on top of the Windows Phone you'd like the apps to be installed upon. Place the two phones on a straight roadway. Hop in your car/truck, drive exactly one mile away from the two phones, and turn the vehicle around. Make sure that your Flux Capacitor is functioning as it should. Signal to the Doc that you're ready to roll. As soon as Doc gives you the signal, put the car in drive and apply pressure to the accelerator. You must hit the two phones with your front, right tire at exactly 55 miles per hour in order for the android apps to install correctly. If you don't hit the phones at exactly 55 mph, you will only have two ruined phones. Good luck. ;D
    Came home from work in a horrible mood. Read your post and now laughing so hard. Thank you!
    03-22-2016 11:40 PM
    Came home from work in a horrible mood. Read your post and now laughing so hard. Thank you!
    Sorry work was rough.
    Glad I could provide you with a laugh or two. :)
    03-23-2016 12:03 AM
    I want nothing Google related in my phone and as i said when Astoria was a thing, it slows hardware down. Notice how laggy the builds with astorias were and immediately after it was tremovred improvements were noticed..

Microsoft apps are nowhere as better as the Android users of Windows central will have you believe. I noticed improvements and what not, but nothing that makes them immensely better.

No google is fine.
    I'm not into Reddit.

YouTube on Android is wonderful.
    What is wrong with it exactly?
    03-23-2016 12:32 AM
    Awesome!
    Thanx Scienceguy!
    Double-triple
    03-23-2016 12:35 AM

No, that's just you. I would've loved to have Android apps on my Lumia. If you don't like them, don't install them.
    03-23-2016 11:36 AM

Know what, I am not sure on that one. When we had the feature, I used it big time, Yea, I grabbed a few *questionable* apps, to try it with, never mind I had a PC app that would download FREE apps directly from the Play store.

It was nice to have BOA working again (coming soon ! Finally) but, the app was updated all the time so it was a pain to keep it updated (could not log onto it if it was a old version). Some games ran, higher performance games were questionable and choppy, most just crashed 1/2 the time. Most video streaming apps didn't work or had really poor performance.

It could not access any hardware so BOA worked as good as the mobile site, cant deposit checks as cant use the camera. No Pebble watch app, nor 3rd party Google wear watches (no blutooth), Or even GPS didn't work on most apps.

TO the OP, as it did work, it was VERY hit or miss and performance on a higher end phone at the time (ICON) was questionable on most apps.

The only thing I really liked is I had the option of all those missing apps...but, over all it WAS a dispointment and performance of the phone dropped HUGE after about 2 weeks of playing with assorted apps...

Quality of apps was better than MOST WP apps (more updated meaning more features) but, the feel of WP apps are nicer... but, maybe that is me..
    03-23-2016 12:02 PM
    ...TO the OP, as it did work, it was VERY hit or miss and performance on a higher end phone at the time (ICON) was questionable on most apps.

The only thing I really liked is I had the option of all those missing apps...but, over all it WAS a dispointment and performance of the phone dropped HUGE after about 2 weeks of playing with assorted apps...

Quality of apps was better than MOST WP apps (more updated meaning more features) but, the feel of WP apps are nicer... but, maybe that is me..
    Sort of reminds me of when I was all in with the little green robot and I had a Google TV set-top box I was sideloading Apps onto. It was so hit or miss, yes/no/maybe that it became not really worth the effort for all the heartbreak that ensued.

And that was a device that was supposed to be in lock step with the ecosystem.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-23-2016 03:37 PM
    I agree...The IOS project is still in development. Project Islandwood. Apparently it is being used by Instagram.

03-23-2016 03:52 PM
    No, that's just you. I would've loved to have Android apps on my Lumia. If you don't like them, don't install them.
    The problem that arises though is that it has adverse effects on the ecosystem as a whole.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-23-2016 05:01 PM
    I agree...The IOS project is still in development. Project Islandwood. Apparently it is being used by Instagram.
    I don't think they used Islandwood. I believe they have their own tool, Osmeta.
    03-23-2016 05:01 PM
    I sicerely don't understand people saying that they don't want android apps and that they're glad astoria was cancelled. Well guess what, you acctualy don't have to install or use them (android apps) at all, while many would benefit from them. It'd have been cool if they left astoria in special astoria build ring, so if you wanted you could simply install wm version with that ability and if you're alergic to "crap from Google", fine, install different builds. Maybe it'd have made me stay with windows phone...
    03-23-2016 07:18 PM
33 12