SMS backup/restore is still effed up on 10586.164

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

We insiders knew that the SMS backup/restore system had some hiccups in W10M, especially between build 10549 (IIRC) and above (10572). Between these 2 builds, Microsoft have changed the architecture of SMS saving and restoring:
a) before 10572 (10549 and below, including WP8.1), SMS were restored sms by sms, in chronological order
b) after 10572 (including 10572), texts are restored by thread (contact A entirely, then contact B, etc.)

BUT. Since December, we were many insider noticing that only some messages are restored. Some gaps were observed, or hit and miss sync (a 8 SMS conversation was instantly synced the same day on another device, but with 2 or 3 SMS missing).

But then we were insiders.

My only devices now are: Lumia 950 (main phone, with my 2 SIMS) and Lumia 535 (simless). The 535 was flashed to 8.1 last Friday and upgraded "properly" to 10. SMS are starting to restore slowy today only.

And I got only one thread back at this stage: my wife's one. All messages are there up to 5th of June 2015. Then nothing until this Monday, and it's mainly my messages, 70% of hers are missing.

Microsoft are TOTALLY silent about this issue. I wouldn't fuss if we KNEW that all SMS are saved systematically, but they fail to restore. But we're not even sure of that. Maybe some SMS fail to be saved in the cloud, and then, are lost forever.

Contacts+backup is a nice app, but not adapted to dual sim devices.

Have you hit this issue too? Comment below.

I find it very rude, from MS, to allow W10M upgrade when their SMS backup process is NOT reliable. Because non Insiders are genuinely upgrading their devices to W10M, thinking it's better, and they may lose memories, or SMS, in the process.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
That's strange. I've just turned on my old 520 after days (it becomed my backup phone), and everything gone sync in 10 mins I guess, standing on a table

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok, switched to one month (and not forever) and they came back instantly, but the gaps are still there for my wife.

So I'll switch sync off, reboot, delete all messages, and resync on one month to see if it works better.

Gabe said that if you delete while sync is enabled, then these messages are also removed from the server.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, if people are informed.

Started my experiment yesterday evening, nothing has restored today on the 535, set to one month. Sigh. Waiting for the next RS1 build anyway, will see if it reacts better after a hard reset.

Incredible that this service is not 100% reliable.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've installed w10 on a number of devices and most times messages come back fine. I've had instances when they didn't come back and doing a hard reset would usually fix it. Now I just got a 640, upgraded it to .164 production build, and messages won't sync. have hard resetted twice but still not downloading. been a few days now and still nothing, have tried all sorts of things but looks like they aren't coming down. this is frustrating...

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I've installed w10 on a number of devices and most times messages come back fine. I've had instances when they didn't come back and doing a hard reset would usually fix it. Now I just got a 640, upgraded it to .164 production build, and messages won't sync. have hard resetted twice but still not downloading. been a few days now and still nothing, have tried all sorts of things but looks like they aren't coming down. this is frustrating...

Seems same temporary server iussue of last december

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but the issue is: is that server failure means some messages are lost for ever (not saved), or just not restored, that is the question.

And Microsoft won't even recognise the problem (6 months old problem), which means disrespect and despise to me. Now W10M is official, people are upgrading their devices, and they *may* lose some messages, while they're not even warned of the possible issue.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but the issue is: is that server failure means some messages are lost for ever (not saved), or just not restored, that is the question.

And Microsoft won't even recognise the problem (6 months old problem), which means disrespect and despise to me. Now W10M is official, people are upgrading their devices, and they *may* lose some messages, while they're not even warned of the possible issue.

I knew everyone got back their own messages at last

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You're a bit optimist mate. Most people say that /most/ SMS are restored, but never 100%. And depending on device (mobile, PC, etc.), it's not necessarily the same messages which are missing. And this, no matter how long they've waited for.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I too am having this issue now..funny cause I made it through all the insider build with no issues, and my reward for beta testing for free?my sms are now gone
:(

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I reset my 950 to .164 since it was too buggy on the latest build. SMS synched after two weeks of nothing. I didn't do hard reset because we were travelling.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
not sure what the heck just happened but my messages have just started syncing. is it happening for anyone else? maybe MS fixed something on the back end? the only things I've done since it wasn't syncing was download the windows 10 PC app 'windows phone message backup' just to view my backed up messages and also I updated my dell tablet with the latest 14316 and opened the skype messaging app which shows all my text messages. not sure if those things kicked anything off but I hope other people are getting theres now as well. phone still on build 164.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad that worked for you. It unfortunately didn't work for me. If anything, it may have illuminated the problem:

As I've already observed, WP8.1 can sync texts from 2014 through to about 11/2015 and then stops. W10M syncs nothing at all on any build, currently, for me. The new beta "Messaging Everywhere" app on the latest desktop "Insider" build seems to show all SMS from 2014 until about 3/24/2016.

This makes me think that they tweaked some of the web services that are involved with the sync function and, as a result, we're left without restoration and possibly without a current backup of any recent text messages.

Also: Thanks for the tip on the "Windows Phone Message Backup" app. Neat freebie app!

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Darn, guess that means my new phone won't have my old SMS history transferred over. *sigh*
I really expect that this is a temporary problem. There are reports on the Feedback app for it and folks on Twitter. Here's to hoping that Microsoft fixes whatever is causing the sync to not work!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99