Volume buttons are working while phone is locked(no screen)

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Our alarm system at work went off last night and I got an earful this morning because I didn't race to work to find out what was going on. Come to find out, my phone was muted. I've checked my phone a few times recently and found that even though I hadn't ever changed the volume down, my phone ends up with the volume down at random times. I -just- discovered what is going on and trying to figure out if there's a solution(and when the hell this became a "feature").

When I hit the lock button on my phone to turn off the screen, after a second or two it has a resounding "thump" noise. This, to me, indicates that unless I hit the lock button again or hold down the camera button, the phone won't respond to touch screen inputs or any of the other buttons.

The issue is, since I've upgraded to 10.0.10586.164 the volume controls work when the phone is locked(screen off). That means, when I sit in my chair, the fact my phone is in my hip holster can cause those buttons to be pressed. I then end up with volume settings not where I wanted to be(and, honestly, might be the cause of some of my random battery life issues if the phone is reading/reacting to that input).

How do I turn this feature off? Unless my screen is on, I do not want the volume controls to work.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. Never noticed before, but this is the case for me on my 950 on redstone as well.

Though, a phone on silent has no effect on alarms.

Last edited:

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
and when the hell this became a "feature"

It has been like this since the beginning.
How else would you control the playback volume without turning on the screen.
This control of the volume button also applies to the "Ringer + Notifications" control when media is not being played.
This cannot be turned off.
Locking screen doesn't imply locking out the buttons too.
Under locked screen only the power button/tap to wake has the ability to power on the screen
The volume keys does not power on the screen but still has control over "Ringer + Notifications" or "Media + Apps" whichever is happening.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
@Florin
Not really. If you use the default app for alarms it will fire.
If you use another app, that app might use the Media + Apps of Ringer + Notifications volume. This is the case for Realarm.
However, since I bought the 950 and used it also with the 10586.0 build it never missed an alarm. This is probably due to the fact that the alarm app is active no matter the settings in background tasks or battery saver or whatever other setting that prevents apps for running. Also has all options in notification active (banners, sound, vibration, notification in lockscreen).
It is worth checking this settings if an alarm didn't fire.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So fwiw (and that's not much), I often want to change music volume while the phone is locked, but I don't recall a situation where I needed to adjust alarm or ringer volume while the screen is off.

It would make sense to me if they set it up like that: only allow media volume changes when the screen is off.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The "alarm" part of my post was the alarm system at my work calling my phone, it was not me setting an alarm on my phone. Since my phone decided to mute itself in my hip holster, I didn't hear any of the calls. Up until last week I've never had an issue of checking my phone and seeing that the volume level isn't where I set it last.

arie12345

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
The "alarm" part of my post was the alarm system at my work calling my phone, it was not me setting an alarm on my phone. Since my phone decided to mute itself in my hip holster, I didn't hear any of the calls. Up until last week I've never had an issue of checking my phone and seeing that the volume level isn't where I set it last.

The same as described by NXTwoThou happened to me. It should not be possible to reduce volume when phone is locked. I missed a lot of calls because this BUG and yes it is a big BUG!!!

arie12345

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
For some unknown reason the phone ring was muted .

Suddenly, without any action, I found out that I had missed incoming calls because the phone call ring has been muted. I saw a post here thought that it happen because the volume button continue to operate while the device is locked, but that's not the reason the volume is lock too when the phone is locked.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The same as described by NXTwoThou happened to me. It should not be possible to reduce volume when phone is locked. I missed a lot of calls because this BUG and yes it is a big BUG!!!

I can't adjust volume when the screen is locked.

Try this App > Audio Stop Free to kill the persistent Media Volume after closing your media players... I always stop mine after I listen to music or play a video, but I've just watched a video and played a song without using Audio Stop afterwards. No reset or reboot and I still cannot replicate your issue.

Lumia 640, W10M, 10.0.10586.420, Insider Release Ring.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lol it really is a bug, as in, not intended, it really annoys me when i want to change volume without bothering my screen and it doesnt work so i have to unlock and go to music app and lock and then it starts working while locked again, i think the proper functionality should be to only respond to volume changes while listening to music, and keep alarms and ringer untouched unless you unlock the screen

btw this shouldnt be an issue at all, if any of you have noticed, blocking the proximity sensor automatically disables glance and double tap to wake, so why the heck wont it disable buttons too? my phone used to wake up a lot while i was walking because of double tap, but they fixed it long ago with the proximity sensor disabling it

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon