The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-25-2016 02:48 PM
58 123
tools
    But only Snapchat can address this...
    I also feel ms has some blame too. When the word is that ms is not going all in like they should why would devs take them serious ? If I was a Dev and knew ms wasn't really trying to attract consumer why would I waiste my time and $ ? There doing good on the pc front but mobile?.........
    03-24-2016 09:33 PM
    I also feel ms has some blame too...
    You keep talking about a broader issue, not Snapchat which is the topic. Snapchat's animosity is long running and well documented.

The point you are trying to make is like blaming the table at the restaurant because the bakery you favor won't deliver to that restaurant's kitchen. It may be true you are not getting the muffin of your choice, but it has nothing to do with the tablecloth and dishes the restaurant puts on the tables.
    03-24-2016 09:50 PM
    I see no reason for Snap Chat. Ever. But I do understand the frustration for liking platform and something you care about isn't there, its a turn off.
    03-24-2016 09:58 PM
    I will say this. To me, using snapchat it seems like an unfinished product. It is really cool but someone could come along and do something better.
    03-24-2016 09:58 PM
    I don't think people understand what snap chat is. It has a lot of cool ad content and short video stories too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-2016 10:00 PM
    I don't think people understand what snap chat is. It has a lot of cool ad content and short video stories too.
    I like the National Geographic content on Snapchat. The short video about cats awhile ago was cool.
    03-24-2016 10:06 PM
    snapchat, is that where celebrities use text to hide their nude bodies if i am not wrong, this thing should be banned :(

"flagged adult content"

i don't even consider it a social platform
    03-25-2016 12:25 AM
    "Snapchat is only for sex" logic is from people that don't understand snapchat
    03-25-2016 12:48 AM
    point-up.png
    03-25-2016 01:16 AM
    ^^^
    That's the ticket!
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    03-25-2016 01:26 AM
    Only for sex? Of course it isn't.
    Used often for sexual purposes...Of course it is.

Even more so than other apps since its very 'privacy' features are what lured the teen demographic to it.
    Keep in mind I am the target audience for Snapchat....I am not someone in his 40s-50s who doesn't 'get it'.

Whenever I am interested in getting to know someone or whatever whatever....Snapchat is what they use. It isn't to send me cool stories or videos of Cat. It's usually for sexual purpose (which thankfully I was raised with self-respect so I don't partake in that).

That's just like saying Tinder isn't used predominantly for sexual purposes. Sure, you can have some tame and G-rated/PG conversation. I use Tinder. Not for the hookups but for the LOLs and I have had some great conversations.

Guess what? A vast majority of users are using it for sexual purposes because that is sort of what it is marketed towards.

Snapchat:
    Send whatever you want. It self-destructs (Teen and Young adult mentality: 'Ooh I can send WHATEVER ;), Ay turn up. It'll be deleted soon."

Tinder:
    Match with people near you....(Especially in a college setting "Hmm, I wonder what hot chick/guy I can meet up with now."

Anyone who labels Snapchat is purely a sexual app is being hyperbolic. And in my opinion, I find it willfully ignorant that anyone who tries to downplay the sexual nature and appeal of Snapchat.

The 'snappening' was a thing. What? you think since SNapchat broaden the features/appeal...that people suddenly have stopped sexting with each other and currently are just sending videos of cats.

**Snorts Loudly**
    Okay.
    Last edited by Nogitsune Micah; 03-25-2016 at 04:12 AM.
    03-25-2016 02:39 AM
    I swear, never heard before that snap chat, I had to search on Wikipedia. I knew celebrities used Vine for piggy selfies
    03-25-2016 05:53 AM
    Technically, not true. It can be bought - the owner just has to be willing to sell. Which, in this case, he's not - at least if the interested party is Microsoft.
    Yes, that would have been more precise. Should have said "in this case can't be bought by MS".
    03-25-2016 06:06 AM
    You keep talking about a broader issue, not Snapchat which is the topic. Snapchat's animosity is long running and well documented.

The point you are trying to make is like blaming the table at the restaurant because the bakery you favor won't deliver to that restaurant's kitchen. It may be true you are not getting the muffin of your choice, but it has nothing to do with the tablecloth and dishes the restaurant puts on the tables.
    Sure in using the restaurant as analogy sure ms has nice tables to sit in and nice dishes to offer but then in contrast to iOS and android they also have a menu, servers,food ,cooks to cook the food on the menus and one of there best dishes is snapchat. It's why more go to the iOS and android restaurants and not the ms ones and I'm just referring to mobile not pc's. And that's just how I see it and maybe in the minority
    03-25-2016 06:26 AM
    I will say this. To me, using snapchat it seems like an unfinished product. It is really cool but someone could come along and do something better.
    Snapchat is a ridiculously simplistic app that almost anyone with rudimentary IT skills could create. Snapchat didn't become popular because it's particularly good. It became popular as result of implementing an appealing idea at the right time. It spread from there and will now be very hard to compete with, because its primary selling point is not what it can do or it how well it does it, but how many people you know that use it. No new app can compete with that. It's similar to WhatsApp. A million apps can do the same thing. Often better... that's just not the selling point.

I think Snapchat is here to stay so WM will have to find another way to succeed without it (and without many other apps).

My point is that hoping for "better" and more WM friendly competition to dethrone Snapchat is likely also a lost cause.
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-25-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-25-2016 06:30 AM

And I've eaten @ that wm restaurant ..... You kinda go hungry.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-25-2016 06:33 AM
    And that's just how I see it and maybe in the minority
    You are free to have your own opinion of course... even if it's wrong. 😉

I'll state the same thing another way:
    MS could be spending billions of dollars on closing he app gap, declare WM to be their #1 strategic priority and brilliantly follow through on that. MS could treat WM as a first class citizen and provide the best version of their apps on WM first, and do whatever else you think they should be doing...

WM would still not receive the Snapchat app!

I agree with you that MS isn't doing everything they could/should. In this particular case it just wouldn't make a difference. That's why MS not going "all in" (however you define that) is irrelevant (in this particular case).

Snapchat will not change their policy unless forced to do so. Right now Snapchat can completely ignore WM with no negative consequences whatsoever, so no amount of enticement or groveling will bring Snapchat to WM. In a nutshell, even if MS went all out with WM, enticements and groveling are all MS can offer. That's not enough.
    03-25-2016 06:46 AM
    I swear, never heard before that snap chat, I had to search on Wikipedia. I knew celebrities used Vine for piggy selfies
    It's mostly used in North America, just like WhatsApp is used mostly in Europe and Asia.
    03-25-2016 06:49 AM
    You are free to have your own opinion of course... even if it's wrong.

I'll state the same thing another way:
    MS could be spending billions of dollars on closing he app gap, declare WM to be their #1 strategic priority and brilliantly follow through on that. MS could treat WM as a first class citizen and provide the best version of their apps on WM first, and do whatever else you think they should be doing...

WM would still not receive the Snapchat app!

I agree with you that MS isn't doing everything they could/should. In this particular case it just wouldn't make a difference. That's why MS not going "all in" (however you define that) is irrelevant (in this particular case).

Snapchat will not change their policy unless forced to do so. Right now Snapchat can completely ignore WM with no negative consequences whatsoever, so no amount of enticement or groveling will bring Snapchat to WM. In a nutshell, even if MS went all out with WM, enticements and groveling are all MS can offer. That's not enough.
    Yeah I guess with wm it is what it is if you don't like it leave sadly I had to leave they have awesome potential to be the best os but it's on the back burner for now . But once we see snapchat, and the ones that are missing then we'll REALLY know somethings happening.
    03-25-2016 07:12 AM
    Nope, it's not like that. Snapchat isn't an extremely popular app whose unavailability on WM causes people to not buy one. People need much more on a phone than a silly app. Moreover, that app doesn't even have much presence in top mobile markets like China, India and Brazil. It's mostly used in countries where the mobile market is nearly or completely saturated. So no, Snapchat isn't obstructing WM's growth. But the overall app gap surely is which is also narrowing now albeit steadily.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-25-2016 07:34 AM
    Snapchat is to apps, what boybands/teen-bands is to music
    their audience will grow up, the group fades away - and the rest who didn't use it will wonder what the fuss is all about
    03-25-2016 09:32 AM
    Too many people here seem to be understating the importance of Snapchat due to their own distaste of the service. Snapchat has a massive and dedicated market share, and is a deal-breaker for lots of folks. Snapchat is certainly not single-handedly "Killing Windows 10 Mobile", but I would at the least call it a serious contributing factor, unfortunately one Microsoft has little control over.

It may be anecdotal, but at least half of the millennials I met and have preached the graces of W10M to stopped listening when I said no snapchat.
    03-25-2016 10:16 AM
    My wife left WM b/c she wanted to Snapchat the kids at college...that's what they use, and like it or not, they respond much quicker with a snapchat vs. a text. Its just the reality of their communication habits & preferences. I'm holding on for now...mostly b/c they know that if they want gas & grocery money, they better respond to me. :D
    03-25-2016 10:38 AM
    we actually had about 3 third party apps for snapchat a while back, the one by rudy who does the apps with 6 was the best and lasted the longest.
    he however was not able to suppor the app anymore because snap chat was giving him a hard time with coding options on making the app even better. i never use such things but i tried out the offical one on a friends phone and the 6snap and rudy's app was on par with the offical one if not better in some area's.

MS has tried the pay by the app option with other devs and such, but they gave us lacklust apps and plently of them never came back to update them.

its all a work in progress, both apple and google both started from zero in the begining.
    03-25-2016 10:55 AM
    snapchat is really for teenagers and young adults. I use it's something you can do without. Cool and would be a welcomed addition to the windows store. But it's never a deciding factor for a phone purchase for most
    03-25-2016 11:19 AM
58 123