Let us be honest. Snap chat is killing Windows 10 mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You keep talking about a broader issue, not Snapchat which is the topic. Snapchat's animosity is long running and well documented.

The point you are trying to make is like blaming the table at the restaurant because the bakery you favor won't deliver to that restaurant's kitchen. It may be true you are not getting the muffin of your choice, but it has nothing to do with the tablecloth and dishes the restaurant puts on the tables.

And I've eaten @ that wm restaurant ..... You kinda go hungry.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And that's just how I see it and maybe in the minority

You are free to have your own opinion of course... even if it's wrong. 😉

I'll state the same thing another way:
MS could be spending billions of dollars on closing he app gap, declare WM to be their #1 strategic priority and brilliantly follow through on that. MS could treat WM as a first class citizen and provide the best version of their apps on WM first, and do whatever else you think they should be doing...

WM would still not receive the Snapchat app!

I agree with you that MS isn't doing everything they could/should. In this particular case it just wouldn't make a difference. That's why MS not going "all in" (however you define that) is irrelevant (in this particular case).

Snapchat will not change their policy unless forced to do so. Right now Snapchat can completely ignore WM with no negative consequences whatsoever, so no amount of enticement or groveling will bring Snapchat to WM. In a nutshell, even if MS went all out with WM, enticements and groveling are all MS can offer. That's not enough.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You are free to have your own opinion of course... even if it's wrong.

I'll state the same thing another way:
MS could be spending billions of dollars on closing he app gap, declare WM to be their #1 strategic priority and brilliantly follow through on that. MS could treat WM as a first class citizen and provide the best version of their apps on WM first, and do whatever else you think they should be doing...

WM would still not receive the Snapchat app!

I agree with you that MS isn't doing everything they could/should. In this particular case it just wouldn't make a difference. That's why MS not going "all in" (however you define that) is irrelevant (in this particular case).

Snapchat will not change their policy unless forced to do so. Right now Snapchat can completely ignore WM with no negative consequences whatsoever, so no amount of enticement or groveling will bring Snapchat to WM. In a nutshell, even if MS went all out with WM, enticements and groveling are all MS can offer. That's not enough.

Yeah I guess with wm it is what it is if you don't like it leave sadly I had to leave they have awesome potential to be the best os but it's on the back burner for now . But once we see snapchat, and the ones that are missing then we'll REALLY know somethings happening.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Nope, it's not like that. Snapchat isn't an extremely popular app whose unavailability on WM causes people to not buy one. People need much more on a phone than a silly app. Moreover, that app doesn't even have much presence in top mobile markets like China, India and Brazil. It's mostly used in countries where the mobile market is nearly or completely saturated. So no, Snapchat isn't obstructing WM's growth. But the overall app gap surely is which is also narrowing now albeit steadily.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Snapchat is to apps, what boybands/teen-bands is to music
their audience will grow up, the group fades away - and the rest who didn't use it will wonder what the fuss is all about

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Too many people here seem to be understating the importance of Snapchat due to their own distaste of the service. Snapchat has a massive and dedicated market share, and is a deal-breaker for lots of folks. Snapchat is certainly not single-handedly "Killing Windows 10 Mobile", but I would at the least call it a serious contributing factor, unfortunately one Microsoft has little control over.

It may be anecdotal, but at least half of the millennials I met and have preached the graces of W10M to stopped listening when I said no snapchat.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My wife left WM b/c she wanted to Snapchat the kids at college...that's what they use, and like it or not, they respond much quicker with a snapchat vs. a text. Its just the reality of their communication habits & preferences. I'm holding on for now...mostly b/c they know that if they want gas & grocery money, they better respond to me. :D

Chelsey Love

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
we actually had about 3 third party apps for snapchat a while back, the one by rudy who does the apps with 6 was the best and lasted the longest.
he however was not able to suppor the app anymore because snap chat was giving him a hard time with coding options on making the app even better. i never use such things but i tried out the offical one on a friends phone and the 6snap and rudy's app was on par with the offical one if not better in some area's.

MS has tried the pay by the app option with other devs and such, but they gave us lacklust apps and plently of them never came back to update them.

its all a work in progress, both apple and google both started from zero in the begining.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
snapchat is really for teenagers and young adults. I use it's something you can do without. Cool and would be a welcomed addition to the windows store. But it's never a deciding factor for a phone purchase for most

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not just Snap chat, but it is emblematic of the problem. I never thought the app gap would bother me, but it's really starting to. I can't download a plethora of apps that my iphone friends are playing with or using. Recently downloaded Robinhood that my iphone friends were talking about... but I can only use it on my iPad (which I don't really like, but it serves as my "couch tablet"). :\ Now, with all the Windows 10 bugs, I'm seriously considering switching. MS puts all of its apps on iphone (OneNote, OneDrive, Outlook). What's the reason to stay on Windows mobile now? Windows 8.1 was smooth. Windows 10 has these random hiccups (random resets, random bluetooth crashing, random Cortana crashing, Band 2 connection issues)... If you can go to another phone with less bugs AND get all the apps? Hmm, why not?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure in using the restaurant as analogy sure ms has nice tables to sit in and nice dishes to offer but then in contrast to iOS and android they also have a menu, servers,food ,cooks to cook the food on the menus and one of there best dishes is snapchat. It's why more go to the iOS and android restaurants and not the ms ones and I'm just referring to mobile not pc's. And that's just how I see it and maybe in the minority

I'm not trying to dismiss the issue you are raising. I'm just trying to show how it doesn't apply to Snapchat which becomes a special case...

It's not just Snap chat, but it is emblematic of the problem...

Not really. Snapchat becomes a separate category. To the best of my knowledge the CIO of Bank of America never stated the reason their App was pulled from 8.1 was over a dislike of all things Windows.

Choosing not to make or support an App for a platform because the numbers don't add up for you is one thing.

Refusing to ever develop for a platform because you don't like it is quite a different situation.

These two conditions require different solutions for the platform in question. Solving one does not solve the other.

Last edited:

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Deepak- IMO, I feel that's not so true. It had just passed Blackberry and was predicted to double the user base by 2016, no snapchat.
Late 2014 early 2015 those predictions were lowered. Snapchat was around at THAT point.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, snap chat is certainly not the reason alone. Maybe for some sure. But I don't know a single person that uses snap chat. Maybe it's not as popular in Canada.
But I foresee a snap chat client coming to Windows 10. Call me psychic. We shall see after build.

My reasoning is because the open source snap chat client for windows 10 still hasn't been pulled down. Usually that stuff gets dropped really quickly.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, snap chat is certainly not the reason alone. Maybe for some sure. But I don't know a single person that uses snap chat. Maybe it's not as popular in Canada.
That is what I think. Well that may be the reason of MS having low marketshare in US, but not for non-US world.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest, this thread and specifically the OP has been adequately answered several times and any further discussion won't change the main issues here. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs