Let us be honest. Snap chat is killing Windows 10 mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
2 years ago you could walk into a Microsoft store and see every employee with a windows phone.

Today, at the Microsoft store where I go which has 2 mall locations. Not a single employee has a Windows phone. When asking several of them why. Snap chat was the reason.

Other things too but that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Microsoft is not caring or giving a hoot about this issue.

I know a lot of people on here may say it doesn't matter and who uses that anyway. But if you look at the graph of snap chat growth and Windows phone user base decline you could correlate the 2 for sure. Not the only reason but a major one for some people.

What do you think?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
2 years ago you could walk into a Microsoft store and see every employee with a windows phone.

Today, at the Microsoft store where I go which has 2 mall locations. Not a single employee has a Windows phone. When asking several of them why. Snap chat was the reason.

Other things too but that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I know a lot of people on here may say it doesn't matter and who uses that anyway. But if you look at the graph of snap chat growth and Windows phone user base decline you could correlate the 2 for sure. Not the only reason but a major one for some people.

What do you think?

WTF IS snap chat????? :shocked: Never heard before. Are you joking???

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I tell my 26 year-old niece. "If you want to be treated like an adult, act like an adult. Adults don't use snapchat, and don't post kissy-face pictures anywhere else online either."

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ill agree with you, I have a group of around 10-15 friends who I was hanging out with recently and all of them liked the picture quality, and speed of my phone, but when I told them I didnt have snapchat they immediately dismissed it as a phone option. Let alone I didnt tell them we dont have bank apps... although there is alternatives (prizm) there is no alternatives for pop apps

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apparently this dead horse requires more flogging...

How much MS cares or how many hoots they give is completely irrelevant! The last thing the Snapchat CEO requires is more money, and he's personally opposed to supporting anything MS. Combined, those two facts mean there is no direct action MS can take to change the CEO's mind.

With the exception of a massive amount of users defecting from iOS and Android to WM (maybe not even that), there is nothing MS can do to bring Snapchat to WM. It's not for a lack of trying.

The reality is you can either live without Snapchat, or you move to iOS or Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Outside of buy Snapchat? Not much MS can do to make Snapchat dedicate resources to Windows Mobile. Its a "chicken/egg" situation.

Snaptchat is not a publicly owned company, so it can't be bought or taken over [edit: unless the owner decides to sell, which he won't]. We might see an IPO in 2016, but until then that's not an option.

There is nothing Microsoft can do?

Paulxxwall's answer to this question is BS, or at least it is as a response to your specific question.

Like I said, WM becoming very popular and surging in market share would at least make Snapchat (and many other companies) reevaluate the need for a WM app. In that sense it's incorrect to say that there is no solution at all. That is a solution. It's just not a solution which MS is likely to turn into reality anytime soon, nor is it a simple enough problem that MS could just spend their way to success on (no matter how many billions MS spends).

Ultimately though, this is the only solution that is really worth striving towards, because it's the only solution that would solve all of WM's app problems, rather than "solving it" for just one specific app.

Beyond that MS has zero options, at least as far as Snapchat is concerned.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I e-mailed Snapchat for grins and got the generic blah-blah:
Capture0.JPG

They do send their love...
Also if you dive into their support links it states the app is not available for WP or Blackberry.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Snaptchat is not a publicly owned company, i.e. it can't be bought. We might see an IPO in 2016, but until then that's not an option.

Paulxxwall's answer to this question is BS, or at least it is as a response to your specific question.

Like I said, WM becoming very popular and surging in market share would at least make Snapchat (and many other companies) reevaluate the need for a WM app. In that sense it's incorrect to say that there is no solution at all. That is a solution. It's just not a solution which MS is likely to turn into reality anytime soon, nor is it a simple enough problem that MS could just spend their way to success on (no matter how many billions MS spends).

Ultimately though, this is the only solution that is really worth striving towards, because it's the only solution that would solve all of WM's app problems, rather than "solving it" for just one specific app.

How is it bs? In contrast to desktop,enterprise ,Windows as a service, wm is not a priority. What's apples main source? Googles large portion of revenue is android so where's the bs?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How is it bs? In contrast to desktop,enterprise ,Windows as a service, wm is not a priority. What's apples main source? Googles large portion of revenue is android so where's the bs?

I'm not arguing with that point if you leave it at that. However, as an answer to to the question you quoted, that answer implies that Snapchat is not available on WM because WM is not a priority for MS. That is BS.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Snaptchat is not a publicly owned company, i.e. it can't be bought. We might see an IPO in 2016, but until then that's not an option.

I've come to the understanding that ms is not chasing shares or consumers or whatever and I've moved on as many have but I still have my 1520 so that when ms gets serious about mobile (and we'll know when that happens) I'll try them out again but not until then mean while iOS is boring but mature.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've come to the understanding that ms is not chasing shares or consumers or whatever and I've moved on as many have but I still have my 1520 so that when ms gets serious about mobile (and we'll know when that happens) I'll try them out again but not until then mean while iOS is boring but mature.
On my 1520 on wm10 preview now and I do miss it...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not an answer to the question you quoted. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte