W10 & USB Mass Storage

cipher7

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I recently tried to connect my Windows 10 upgraded Lumia 640 and BLU Win HD phones to my car stereo, a Pioneer DEH-X8500BS, using a USB cable so I could play music and charge the phone at the same time. With both phones, the Pioneer deck displayed a "Not Compatible" message. When I looked for this message in the manual for the Pioneer deck it says the following:

Cause - The USB device connected is not supported by this unit.
Action - Connect a USB Mass Storage Class compliant device

According to the following article, Microsoft was supposed to be adding Mass Storage support in Windows 10 mobile:
Windows 10 for phone supports USB Mass Storage, peripherals and hubs | Windows Central.

Does this mean that Mass Storage support hasn't been added yet or is there a hardware requirement that is missing from my two Windows phones? It would seem to me that as long as a phone has a USB connector, and you have the correct OS software support, this capability should be supported. Also, my wife has an older iPhone and when I connect it to the same deck it works without any issues as I can play any audio from my phone.

Any help explaining this all would be greatly appreciated.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The link is for some phones that came with Win10 installed.
Phones upgrading to 10 do not have the hardware and the low end 10 phones don't have it either.
No 8 phones support this.

cipher7

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, T Moore. Outside of a USB port, do you know what other hardware is required for this? It seems strange that a connector that was built to provide almost universal support, would require additional hardware for certain features.

I'm just trying to my head around this so I know exactly what hardware I should be buying in the future.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, T Moore. Outside of a USB port, do you know what other hardware is required for this? It seems strange that a connector that was built to provide almost universal support, would require additional hardware for certain features.

I'm just trying to my head around this so I know exactly what hardware I should be buying in the future.

That's a USB OTG, a port able to act two-ways. It's a different hardware even if same port and retrocompatibility. I guess a 950 could act as a external mass storale if plugged with a OTG capable cable

cipher7

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
That's a USB OTG, a port able to act two-ways. It's a different hardware even if same port and retrocompatibility. I guess a 950 could act as a external mass storale if plugged with a OTG capable cable

My car receiver doesn't say anything about USB OTG, just that it needs to be USB Mass Storage compliant. How does USB OTG relate to USB Mass Storage?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My car receiver doesn't say anything about USB OTG, just that it needs to be USB Mass Storage compliant. How does USB OTG relate to USB Mass Storage?

"USB mass storage " is the common usb port used on all usb-pens and external disks
It was able to do only 2 things: receive input power (for working) and send data (to the player)

SO, I don't think a phone could do that, undependent from usb tecnology

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

USB OTG has nothing to do with the phone acting as mass storage. That is the other way around, where if you connect a mass storage to your phone, you need USB OTG.

As far the the OPs issue, i posted the same thing http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/415043-copy-files-usb-pc.html
for my 640 XL a few days ago, when i connect the phone to my computer i cant write to the memory card, because it doesnt show up as "Mass storage" but as a "Portable Device" and it is write protected. I think it is some sort of protection by M$.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
USB OTG has nothing to do with the phone acting as mass storage. That is the other way around, where if you connect a mass storage to your phone, you need USB OTG.

As far the the OPs issue, i posted the same thing http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/415043-copy-files-usb-pc.html
for my 640 XL a few days ago, when i connect the phone to my computer i cant write to the memory card, because it doesnt show up as "Mass storage" but as a "Portable Device" and it is write protected. I think it is some sort of protection by M$.

We was talking about another thing: a car stereo reading a mass storage.

A car stero isn't a notebook, so it can do basic things. A pen drive is a mass storage by firmware, so most of device can handle it.
A phone isn't a mass storage, but a notebook can handle ALSO like that, due to driver and o.s.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
But the whole point was that, even a notebook is not handling it like mass storage. Thus your analysis is wrong. Its the phone.

If you connect via usb and go to My computer, you'll see your phone as a drive=mass storage
If you double click, you'll see two separate devices, Phone memory and SD card.
If you cannot do that, one things doesn't work: pc, phone, owner. ;)

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
We was talking about another thing: a car stereo reading a mass storage.

A car stero isn't a notebook, so it can do basic things. A pen drive is a mass storage by firmware, so most of device can handle it.
A phone isn't a mass storage, but a notebook can handle ALSO like that, due to driver and o.s.

And to be clear my galaxy y supports usb mass storage mode along with ptp mode which is older than my Lumia 520. Even my fathers Samsung metro city supports usb mass storage mode which has something to do with the phone software.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
And to be clear my galaxy y supports usb mass storage mode along with ptp mode which is older than my Lumia 520. Even my fathers Samsung metro city supports usb mass storage mode which has something to do with the phone software.

ALL my phones support mass storage, since my Nokia N78 throug all my Lumias. I think you got a little confusion about it ;) A car stereo can handle only keys, some models external drive too, but not phones via usb. Only bluetooth. You are making a big mess. ;)

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It started with windows 10, hence My post is in Windows 10 forum. When i had wp8.1, it worked fine, i could write to the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte