My phone is the AT&T Go Phone version of the Lumia 640. I don't have my sim card in it yet because I wanted to play around with the OS for a bit before deciding to migrate over. (I'm currently on Android.) I downloaded the Windows 10 Advisor App and checked for updates but it says I don't have an update available. (I was hoping to put Windows 10 on my phone.)

Is this because I need to put my SIM card in it and have the phone active on AT&T's network to get WM10? I thought I could simply upgrade it to Windows Mobile 10 without having it on a network...is this not true?
    03-28-2016 05:34 PM
    At&t has not released windows 10 yet. No you wont need to put in your sim to get the update when they do.
    03-28-2016 06:35 PM
    If I have an unlocked AT&T phone, with no sim card installed, will the update be available to me from AT&T (if and when it ever comes out)? I have the Windows Insider .164 OS installed, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. But perhaps there are firmware updates. Would I automatically get them from AT&T, given how I never have been an AT&T customer with this phone, other than purchasing it under the AT&T go phone banner? How would this work?
    03-29-2016 06:39 PM
    In the past with other Lumias running on various AT&T MVNOs I would always receive updates to software and firmware, sometimes even prior to my wife's phone on GoPhone. But, in general, I think you will eventually get any updates released to AT&T as long as you use the phone on an AT&T MVNO. However, I am not sure exactly what the story is with various W10 updates. Things like the new version of the Outlook app still have not shown up in the store for me. I also have several updates pending that fail every time. The update process doesn't appear to be working too well.
    03-30-2016 07:28 AM
    If I have an unlocked AT&T phone, with no sim card installed, will the update be available to me from AT&T (if and when it ever comes out)? I have the Windows Insider .164 OS installed, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. But perhaps there are firmware updates. Would I automatically get them from AT&T, given how I never have been an AT&T customer with this phone, other than purchasing it under the AT&T go phone banner? How would this work?
    Update behavior is the same across the AT&T board. Regardless of service status or whether there's a SIM or not, all you need is an internet connection to download the update.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    03-30-2016 10:44 AM
    I also have several updates pending that fail every time. The update process doesn't appear to be working too well.
    So I'm not the only one with this problem?? Good to know!
    03-30-2016 11:18 AM
    Thanks.
    03-30-2016 03:45 PM