The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-12-2016 11:35 AM
205 ... 45678 ...
tools
    You guys really don't get it do you, There is no Windows PC there is no Windows Mobile, it is all Windows 10, That's the purpose of universal APP's, everything they talked about at Build that is coming to Windows 10 will be coming to your phone. That is the whole big reason and purpose of Windows 10, one OS, one platform for all Windows devices, you are all worked up over nothing. If you want to keep driving your car great but sooner or later no one will be making parts for it, same goes for your Windows phones running the older versions of Windows mobile.
    AHHHHHHHH, I just saw what they did. At first they said all windows 8.1 mobile phones will get windows 10 mobile. Then they cut out the mobile at the end and theres the way out of doing that! Thanks for clarifications.
    Varun Rajan likes this.
    04-05-2016 04:59 AM
    Hear what you are saying, I too am a long time fan that gets pretty disillusioned with MS, especially where WP is concerned, they certainly have promised the world but only shown us an atlas.

However by focusing their energies on W10, the one platform and universal apps, they are by default progressing WP.

Can't build a house until the foundations are complete, and after several attempts, finally now maybe that foundation is nearing completion. Focus then on the walls and roof, and along the way the house becomes complete, a home.

Get the basics of the platform right with a new and revolutionary direction, work on the devs and hopefully then the remaining pieces will automatically fall into place.
    You can't build a house from the top down. MS knows this, so they have bulldozed the old house and started again.

Fingers crossed.
    04-05-2016 07:48 AM
    I agree with you hamphlet. This is exactly what I have been thinking and writing about. I get the whole "one platform" thing and everyone is saying to cool their jets. When people build apps they will, by extension, help with mobile, not just PC. However you hit the nail on the head. If they don't target phones when the devs either write a new app, or porting, then it doesn't matter how many apps are in the store. They are only going to fill it with garbage and Win32 legacy apps (though it depends whether developers want to do that). Then nothing will work on phones and so their mobile efforts are for nothing. If phones are taking a back seat for a year then they might as well just stop completely with mobile builds. I am not sure if I will ever buy a new phone with Windows.

Hear what you are saying, I too am a long time fan that gets pretty disillusioned with MS, especially where WP is concerned, they certainly have promised the world but only shown us an atlas.

However by focusing their energies on W10, the one platform and universal apps, they are by default progressing WP.

Can't build a house until the foundations are complete, and after several attempts, finally now maybe that foundation is nearing completion. Focus then on the walls and roof, and along the way the house becomes complete, a home.

Get the basics of the platform right with a new and revolutionary direction, work on the devs and hopefully then the remaining pieces will automatically fall into place.
    You can't build a house from the top down. MS knows this, so they have bulldozed the old house and started again.

Fingers crossed.
    04-05-2016 09:18 AM
    The above is incorrect. At least they aren't progressing WP by default. Terry Meyerson said:

"Windows Phone isn't our focus this year"

That statement would make absolutely no sense if working on UWP automatically translated to work on Windows Phone by default. Why even state that they are not focusing on something, which according to you (and many others) is impossible to not focus on while progressing UWP. That's contradictory. Hell, just using the name "Windows Phone" is an outright admission that there is no single W10 OS. MS is currently trying to have it both ways, and the only way not to see that is to not want to see it. It's a terrible idea on MS' part.

Developing apps for WM requires that devs create a separate UI for that specific form factor. That's one example of a feature that doesn't automatically translate to WM. The DirectX improvements MS intends to bring to the UWP are very unlikely to have any affect on WM either. There are many more such examples. Changes to the UWP can affect WM, but they aren't guaranteed to. It depends entirely on the feature.

When MS talks of "One Windows", that isn't a technical statement about OSes, which is how most people here interpret it. It's instead referring to the fact that MS has one Windows Store and one universal Windows API that developers can use to create apps for multiple form factors... basically... one (WinRT based) ecosystem. Calling it "One WinRT" would be the technically accurate message, but that isn't one consumers understand nor is it worth marketing.

If MS would just admit it and say "One Windows" is equivalent to "One Ecosystem" rather than "One OS" we'd all be better off IMHO. And again... those aren't the same things.
    Last edited by a5cent; 04-05-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    tgp, libra89, Guytronic and 5 others like this.
    04-05-2016 09:23 AM
    The above is incorrect. At least they aren't progressing WP by default. Terry Meyerson said:

"Windows Phone isn't our focus this year"

That statement would make absolutely no sense if working on UWP automatically translated to work on Windows Phone by default. Why even state that they are not focusing on something, which according to you (and many others) is impossible to not focus on while progressing UWP.
    Logically speaking you are wrong, they are working on the bigger picture and one part that will benefit as much as the other parts is mobile. Focusing on something means the contrary of what you are saying:

To focus on something: "[intransitive, transitive] to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation, or person rather than another"

So the statement makes perfect sense. Your logic, for once, is flawed ;) They are "focusing" on the bigger picture which, by definition is the contrary of focusing on a part of it. In other words they are focusing on windows10, full stop.
    04-05-2016 09:34 AM
    they are working on the bigger picture and one part that will benefit as much as the other parts is mobile.
    I just gave you two examples of how MS can focus on W10 without doing squat for W10M. How many concrete examples do you need before you'll admit that belief is simply wrong?

They are "focusing" on the bigger picture which, by definition is the contrary of focusing on a part of it. In other words they are focusing on windows10, full stop.
    Yup. They are focusing on W10 (not W10M). I see nothing wrong with that sentence. It's just completely different from and in no way contradicts what I'm saying.
    04-05-2016 10:04 AM
    You guys really don't get it do you, There is no Windows PC there is no Windows Mobile, it is all Windows 10, That's the purpose of universal APP's, everything they talked about at Build that is coming to Windows 10 will be coming to your phone. That is the whole big reason and purpose of Windows 10, one OS, one platform for all Windows devices, you are all worked up over nothing. If you want to keep driving your car great but sooner or later no one will be making parts for it, same goes for your Windows phones running the older versions of Windows mobile.
    That makes some sense considering that they are pushing Continuum and making more universal apps, but that would be more for business clients and not so much the average consumer base who wouldn't have as much of a reason to use Continuum
    04-05-2016 10:27 AM
    Are you saying Continuum would not appeal to you if you could hook your phone or Tablet to any TV or monitor wirelessly and it would work just like a Desktop or laptop, Ask Cortana to make dinner reservations, buy show tickets. Someday play your game through your phone with your Hololens. Give it time, it just started. there are more universal APP;s every week, this is not the drive thru at Burger King.
    Maurizio Troso and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-05-2016 11:13 AM
    I agree, its really a stupid way to say and write, it was not a clever decision fro Microsoft, it makes a lot of misunderstanding.
    And we are waiting and waiting, for what, maybe nothing.
    Im afraid to buy some hardware from Microsoft, whatever its Surface tablets or MS phones, what ever the name is today. Maybe everything is finished tomorrow, only because Microsoft again change things and make a new decision, then its me whos stay without nothing and useless garbage.
    04-05-2016 11:14 AM
    I agree, its really a stupid way to say and write, it was not a clever decision fro Microsoft, it makes a lot of misunderstanding.
    And we are waiting and waiting, for what, maybe nothing.
    Im afraid to buy some hardware from Microsoft, whatever its Surface tablets or MS phones, what ever the name is today. Maybe everything is finished tomorrow, only because Microsoft again change things and make a new decision, then its me whos stay without nothing and useless garbage.
    Tell that to 6 Million 2015 Surface buyers before writing! ;) Surely you are a very smart boy
    04-05-2016 11:44 AM
    It won't be? OK. Then my money will be focused on Android until it is.
    Last edited by Matt Dargis; 04-05-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    04-05-2016 12:45 PM
    Quantum Break is UWP? How well does it play on the Lumia 950XL?
    04-05-2016 03:46 PM
    I love my surface, but that's an entirely different ball of wax, you can access websites easily with a computer, not so much so with a phone. they just don't work right. Plus, you want apps on the phone to work right, as well as use the phone to the full potential. Also, even the apps out there for 10 are half assed compared to the android/ios versions. Everyone knows that. That is, if the app is available at all.
    04-05-2016 04:00 PM
    What?
    04-05-2016 04:42 PM
    It seems obvious to me that Microsoft are going to run Windows 10 Mobile as it is until there are technical advances in processor technology (almost certainly from Intel), at which point they will truly merge the two OSs, or to put it more accurately, they will replace Windows 10 mobile with Windows 10.

I see Windows 10 mobile becoming like Windows RT. It will hit the end of its development cycle and effectively be replaced by Windows 10.

By then we may be on a different version of Windows, probably one that doesn't have a number. Also by then, there will be a huge number of UWP apps that will run like phone apps on a Windows device that has a screen smaller than say six inches.

I think that this is Microsoft's vision. If I were running Microsoft, this is where I would want to get to as soon as possible but it is obvious that it will take quite a long time to achieve it.
    04-05-2016 06:07 PM
    ...... I say this very sadly but, I'm done. I hate iPhone and dislike Android... but we're let with no other options. MS has given up, we're left with cheap phones or flagships that fall short. HP is really exciting and promising... but is a ways away and/or not for "users". My Band 1 and Surface RT should have been signs, but as of tomorrow.... and I say with with a bit of vomit in my mouth, I'm buying a Samsung S7.... not because I want to, but because their isn't any options.
    04-05-2016 11:52 PM
    I'm buying a Samsung S7.... not because I want to, but because their isn't any options.
    1) Lumia 950
    2) Lumia 950 XL

There you go..2 options
    SunToucher likes this.
    04-06-2016 12:02 AM
    It seems obvious to me that Microsoft are going to run Windows 10 Mobile as it is until there are technical advances in processor technology (almost certainly from Intel), at which point they will truly merge the two OSs, or to put it more accurately, they will replace Windows 10 mobile with Windows 10.
    This is incorrect. MS' vision is what they have now! One ecosystem but with two OSes... W10 and W10M.
    There is no benefit to be had from doing what you say. Zero. Only drawbacks. RT was killed because it couldn't compete with the cheapest Android tablets on price. Running full Windows requires hardware that put RT at a cost-disadvantage it could never overcome. That's the main reason why W10M exists. W10M reuses parts of W10 (but sheds all the Win32 fat), while making due with less and thereby being able to run on much cheaper hardware.
    If MS wants to build a smartphone that runs all windows software, including Win32 software (which I very much doubt is happening BTW), they'd just install W10 on it rather than W10M. They can do that perfectly well without introducing any Win32 bloat back into W10M.
    Laura Knotek, tgp and libra89 like this.
    04-06-2016 12:17 AM
    Anyone wants to purchase a Lumia 950 XL or swap it for an iPhone SE? Seriously the more I read about MS's attitude towards Windows 10 MObile the more I think to myslef 'why the hell did I buy this phone?!' Lucky as I was my L950 is actually broken so I may be able to swap it for a brand new one and exchange it for an iPhone.
    04-06-2016 04:56 AM
    The last 3 years I have used an iPhone 5. Which is in my opinion a fragile phone ( replaced at least 3 screen glasses, problems with camera) my wife uses a apple iphone 4s which has problems connecting to wifi (twice repaired , breaks after a while (known problem for 4s)). The app offering on Apple is nice, but in day to day use I have discovered only a few apps are often used.
    Before that i used an Lumia 620 which still proves to be unbreakable ( if you accidentally drop it, the floor breaks, the screen stays perfect). Last week I upgraded to a 650 which is absolutely brilliant.
    At this price point the 650 phone kills all competition. I've found android phones to be usability nightmares ( i'm repairing , fixing stuff for family members endlessly). Problem with Apple phones is the price point which is getting ludicrously overpriced. I didn't have the heart to go for a Lumia 950 due to bad reviews, missing / broken features and a premium price tag.

So far the 650 impresses in functionality and speed. And again at the price point it is offered you simply can't go wrong with this phone.
    Even the so called lower budget iPhone SE retails at 589 euro's here.
    Sure you 'll miss some apps, but it 'll safe you cash.
    04-06-2016 06:19 AM
    ^^iPhone SE speed will blow all Wp10 mobiles out of the water with its speed. And absolutely none of that "resuming" or "loading" crap that we often see on WP OS.

edit: dad has an ip6s, its really quick in everything.
    It's fast. Whoa.

Anyone wants to purchase a Lumia 950 XL or swap it for an iPhone SE? Seriously the more I read about MS's attitude towards Windows 10 MObile the more I think to myslef 'why the hell did I buy this phone?!' Lucky as I was my L950 is actually broken so I may be able to swap it for a brand new one and exchange it for an iPhone.
    Why not do that? If you don't find yourself liking the iPhone after all, it doesn't take much to sell.
    04-06-2016 07:34 AM
    Passing from 6" to 4" ? Sounds like selling a Land Rover for buying a tacky coloured Smart IMHO
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-06-2016 08:03 AM
    Here's the thing. Yes, they are not focusing on mobile this year. But that's because what's their left to salvage? Nothing. Most of the mobile OS is Windows 10 and the rest is remnants of a failed OS. The OS being Windows 10 already gives it the Windows Store. If Windows 10 gets apps then mobile gets apps and if they don't design them for mobile then Microsoft can make deals to get them to do it.

If that strategy fails, so will Windows 10. Because the whole goal is to build a store for all devices running Windows 10. If there are no apps, then Windows 10 will fail.

Now once this strategy succeeds, or at least begins to, Microsoft will focus on their mobile OS. And unlike what others have said. The mobile OS was delayed many times because it wasn't a focus and it still has issues. Their latest hardware was a me-too effort. So there's a lot Microsoft could be doing but are holding out on until their store has evolved.

For example we could have an entirely new start screen experience. Or we can have Surface Phones. But we don't have these innovations because the platform needs a decent app store to succeed.

I like to believe Microsoft is rebooting their mobile OS efforts but silently this time. Best thing to do is what I and many others did, switch to Android or iOS. Come back another day when it's actually heating up again in the Windows world.
    04-06-2016 10:39 AM
    Well said.

I've had every iphone from day one. I was just using a Galaxy Note 5 alongside my Lumia 640 and I'm now selling my Note 5. Lumia 640 does everything I need it to do, and if I bust it, I've got two replacements in the closet that only cost $30! Oh, and each of them came with one year of Office 365 and 1TB of OneDrive so I'm set until 2019!

For the money WP is the only way to go. Great ecosystem with cheap phones that do everything I need.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    04-06-2016 11:26 AM
    A company this big can't multitask?
    04-06-2016 02:20 PM
205 ... 45678 ...