Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year!

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think it's actually as bad as the TC thinks. I know it's hard to keep the faith but things really aren't all that bad. :)

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I absolutely hate that MSFT would communicate the way they did, but hey, its MSFT. They pull this crap all the time. Poor communication, idiotic statements and so on. I have preached about this for a long time now: They neglect the cool things (or kill them off) they had like photosynth, they poorly marketed their devices, they now have the tools available to port iOS, Android, and Win32 apps but they neglect their own mobile platform.

Why on earth are they resources on a product that they themselves shun? I saw someone point out that the executives on stage were presenting with Droids and iPhones. WTF!? They needed to push the idea of UWAP (Universal Windows App Platform), with their phones and really push continuum if they want to educate the public on these types of features.

Satya Nadella talks about the defining feature is continuum. However if they do nothing to keep marketing their mobile devices how will do they expect to sell their devices or ideas or software? How is Cortana becoming better on other platforms better for WM?

They do not encourage VR tech for cardboards in spite of having hack-a-thons on it, they don't do anything to create apps to set itself apart from the rest and advertise them. They do not try to fine tune things like customizable lock screen to fix issues that were presented in WP 8.1. They do nothing to even encourage the small developers to build great games and potential franchises. They do nothing to spotlight games and apps and create ads around them for encouragement of developers or people to say "hey, we have fun games and apps to try". Windows Store still breaks more so than iOS or Play Store.

For Myerson to say that exciting things aren't happening on phones and to, basically look elsewhere, is a slap in the face to long time users and newer (WP 7 era newer folks). Did I waste my money on buying apps/games and the hardware powered by Windows? I think so!

I don't care how the writers on this site spin it and say it has been talked about for a while with its "retrenchment" phase. It sounds more like retreating phase to me. Its mind blowing that the execs would be fine with statements like these.

So I ask again, why bother keep building up a mobile OS that you (MSFT) have ZERO faith in, will not market, and will not even showcase whether it be ads, or other ways.

As a side question, if MSFT's goal is to fill the Windows Store with apps and games, and thus by extension, it helps mobile, how is it possible? Wouldn't the developers have to target their apps to work with mobile phones even though its "Universal"? For example, can we play the new Tomb Raider (the real thing, not the GO version or the endless runner version) that's available in the Store now on a PC/Tablet and on phones? If not then so much for it being a UWP.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
You guys really don't get it do you, There is no Windows PC there is no Windows Mobile, it is all Windows 10, That's the purpose of universal APP's, everything they talked about at Build that is coming to Windows 10 will be coming to your phone. That is the whole big reason and purpose of Windows 10, one OS, one platform for all Windows devices, you are all worked up over nothing. If you want to keep driving your car great but sooner or later no one will be making parts for it, same goes for your Windows phones running the older versions of Windows mobile.

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Can't agree with you Kevin. Windows for PCs is still different to Windows Mobile 10. Yes they're closer than they've ever been, but not all the apps for the desktop will work on a phone and vice versa. A universal app will only become so if the dev makes the extra effort to adapt it. Extra effort equals extra time and cost. I still don't understand what encouragement there is for devs to put the extra investment into adapting apps for WM10 when even Microsoft are distancing themselves from it and the public are shying away in droves.

Moez Juventus

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I agree with hamphlet. But, I hope that the success of the apps on W10 will bw the motivation for the developers to make this extra effort and transform the most of them into Universal ones.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You guys really don't get it do you, There is no Windows PC there is no Windows Mobile, it is all Windows 10, That's the purpose of universal APP's, everything they talked about at Build that is coming to Windows 10 will be coming to your phone. That is the whole big reason and purpose of Windows 10, one OS, one platform for all Windows devices, you are all worked up over nothing. If you want to keep driving your car great but sooner or later no one will be making parts for it, same goes for your Windows phones running the older versions of Windows mobile.

AHHHHHHHH, I just saw what they did. At first they said all windows 8.1 mobile phones will get windows 10 mobile. Then they cut out the mobile at the end and theres the way out of doing that! Thanks for clarifications.

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hear what you are saying, I too am a long time fan that gets pretty disillusioned with MS, especially where WP is concerned, they certainly have promised the world but only shown us an atlas.

However by focusing their energies on W10, the one platform and universal apps, they are by default progressing WP.

Can't build a house until the foundations are complete, and after several attempts, finally now maybe that foundation is nearing completion. Focus then on the walls and roof, and along the way the house becomes complete, a home.

Get the basics of the platform right with a new and revolutionary direction, work on the devs and hopefully then the remaining pieces will automatically fall into place.
You can't build a house from the top down. MS knows this, so they have bulldozed the old house and started again.

Fingers crossed.

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
quote without content

I agree with you hamphlet. This is exactly what I have been thinking and writing about. I get the whole "one platform" thing and everyone is saying to cool their jets. When people build apps they will, by extension, help with mobile, not just PC. However you hit the nail on the head. If they don't target phones when the devs either write a new app, or porting, then it doesn't matter how many apps are in the store. They are only going to fill it with garbage and Win32 legacy apps (though it depends whether developers want to do that). Then nothing will work on phones and so their mobile efforts are for nothing. If phones are taking a back seat for a year then they might as well just stop completely with mobile builds. I am not sure if I will ever buy a new phone with Windows.

Hear what you are saying, I too am a long time fan that gets pretty disillusioned with MS, especially where WP is concerned, they certainly have promised the world but only shown us an atlas.

However by focusing their energies on W10, the one platform and universal apps, they are by default progressing WP.

Can't build a house until the foundations are complete, and after several attempts, finally now maybe that foundation is nearing completion. Focus then on the walls and roof, and along the way the house becomes complete, a home.

Get the basics of the platform right with a new and revolutionary direction, work on the devs and hopefully then the remaining pieces will automatically fall into place.
You can't build a house from the top down. MS knows this, so they have bulldozed the old house and started again.

Fingers crossed.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

The above is incorrect. At least they aren't progressing WP by default. Terry Meyerson said:

"Windows Phone isn't our focus this year"

That statement would make absolutely no sense if working on UWP automatically translated to work on Windows Phone by default. Why even state that they are not focusing on something, which according to you (and many others) is impossible to not focus on while progressing UWP. That's contradictory. Hell, just using the name "Windows Phone" is an outright admission that there is no single W10 OS. MS is currently trying to have it both ways, and the only way not to see that is to not want to see it. It's a terrible idea on MS' part.

Developing apps for WM requires that devs create a separate UI for that specific form factor. That's one example of a feature that doesn't automatically translate to WM. The DirectX improvements MS intends to bring to the UWP are very unlikely to have any affect on WM either. There are many more such examples. Changes to the UWP can affect WM, but they aren't guaranteed to. It depends entirely on the feature.

When MS talks of "One Windows", that isn't a technical statement about OSes, which is how most people here interpret it. It's instead referring to the fact that MS has one Windows Store and one universal Windows API that developers can use to create apps for multiple form factors... basically... one (WinRT based) ecosystem. Calling it "One WinRT" would be the technically accurate message, but that isn't one consumers understand nor is it worth marketing.

If MS would just admit it and say "One Windows" is equivalent to "One Ecosystem" rather than "One OS" we'd all be better off IMHO. And again... those aren't the same things.

Last edited:

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
The above is incorrect. At least they aren't progressing WP by default. Terry Meyerson said:

"Windows Phone isn't our focus this year"

That statement would make absolutely no sense if working on UWP automatically translated to work on Windows Phone by default. Why even state that they are not focusing on something, which according to you (and many others) is impossible to not focus on while progressing UWP.

Logically speaking you are wrong, they are working on the bigger picture and one part that will benefit as much as the other parts is mobile. Focusing on something means the contrary of what you are saying:

To focus on something: "[intransitive, transitive] to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation, or person rather than another"

So the statement makes perfect sense. Your logic, for once, is flawed ;) They are "focusing" on the bigger picture which, by definition is the contrary of focusing on a part of it. In other words they are focusing on windows10, full stop.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
they are working on the bigger picture and one part that will benefit as much as the other parts is mobile.

I just gave you two examples of how MS can focus on W10 without doing squat for W10M. How many concrete examples do you need before you'll admit that belief is simply wrong?

They are "focusing" on the bigger picture which, by definition is the contrary of focusing on a part of it. In other words they are focusing on windows10, full stop.

Yup. They are focusing on W10 (not W10M). I see nothing wrong with that sentence. It's just completely different from and in no way contradicts what I'm saying.

Ralph Casimir

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

That makes some sense considering that they are pushing Continuum and making more universal apps, but that would be more for business clients and not so much the average consumer base who wouldn't have as much of a reason to use Continuum

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying Continuum would not appeal to you if you could hook your phone or Tablet to any TV or monitor wirelessly and it would work just like a Desktop or laptop, Ask Cortana to make dinner reservations, buy show tickets. Someday play your game through your phone with your Hololens. Give it time, it just started. there are more universal APP;s every week, this is not the drive thru at Burger King.

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree, it?s really a stupid way to say and write, it was not a clever decision fro Microsoft, it makes a lot of misunderstanding.
And we are waiting and waiting, for what, maybe nothing.
I?m afraid to buy some hardware from Microsoft, whatever its Surface tablets or MS phones, what ever the name is today. Maybe everything is finished tomorrow, only because Microsoft again change things and make a new decision, then it?s me whos stay without nothing and useless garbage.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree, it?s really a stupid way to say and write, it was not a clever decision fro Microsoft, it makes a lot of misunderstanding.
And we are waiting and waiting, for what, maybe nothing.
I?m afraid to buy some hardware from Microsoft, whatever its Surface tablets or MS phones, what ever the name is today. Maybe everything is finished tomorrow, only because Microsoft again change things and make a new decision, then it?s me whos stay without nothing and useless garbage.

Tell that to 6 Million 2015 Surface buyers before writing! ;) Surely you are a very smart boy

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Quantum Break is UWP? How well does it play on the Lumia 950XL?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I love my surface, but that's an entirely different ball of wax, you can access websites easily with a computer, not so much so with a phone. they just don't work right. Plus, you want apps on the phone to work right, as well as use the phone to the full potential. Also, even the apps out there for 10 are half assed compared to the android/ios versions. Everyone knows that. That is, if the app is available at all.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
It seems obvious to me that Microsoft are going to run Windows 10 Mobile as it is until there are technical advances in processor technology (almost certainly from Intel), at which point they will truly merge the two OSs, or to put it more accurately, they will replace Windows 10 mobile with Windows 10.

I see Windows 10 mobile becoming like Windows RT. It will hit the end of its development cycle and effectively be replaced by Windows 10.

By then we may be on a different version of Windows, probably one that doesn't have a number. Also by then, there will be a huge number of UWP apps that will run like phone apps on a Windows device that has a screen smaller than say six inches.

I think that this is Microsoft's vision. If I were running Microsoft, this is where I would want to get to as soon as possible but it is obvious that it will take quite a long time to achieve it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss