Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year!

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
...... I say this very sadly but, I'm done. I hate iPhone and dislike Android... but we're let with no other options. MS has given up, we're left with cheap phones or flagships that fall short. HP is really exciting and promising... but is a ways away and/or not for "users". My Band 1 and Surface RT should have been signs, but as of tomorrow.... and I say with with a bit of vomit in my mouth, I'm buying a Samsung S7.... not because I want to, but because their isn't any options.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems obvious to me that Microsoft are going to run Windows 10 Mobile as it is until there are technical advances in processor technology (almost certainly from Intel), at which point they will truly merge the two OSs, or to put it more accurately, they will replace Windows 10 mobile with Windows 10.
This is incorrect. MS' vision is what they have now! One ecosystem but with two OSes... W10 and W10M.
There is no benefit to be had from doing what you say. Zero. Only drawbacks. RT was killed because it couldn't compete with the cheapest Android tablets on price. Running full Windows requires hardware that put RT at a cost-disadvantage it could never overcome. That's the main reason why W10M exists. W10M reuses parts of W10 (but sheds all the Win32 fat), while making due with less and thereby being able to run on much cheaper hardware.
If MS wants to build a smartphone that runs all windows software, including Win32 software (which I very much doubt is happening BTW), they'd just install W10 on it rather than W10M. They can do that perfectly well without introducing any Win32 bloat back into W10M.

Michal Poterek

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Anyone wants to purchase a Lumia 950 XL or swap it for an iPhone SE? Seriously the more I read about MS's attitude towards Windows 10 MObile the more I think to myslef 'why the hell did I buy this phone?!' Lucky as I was my L950 is actually broken so I may be able to swap it for a brand new one and exchange it for an iPhone.

J Starreveld

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The last 3 years I have used an iPhone 5. Which is in my opinion a fragile phone ( replaced at least 3 screen glasses, problems with camera) my wife uses a apple iphone 4s which has problems connecting to wifi (twice repaired , breaks after a while (known problem for 4s)). The app offering on Apple is nice, but in day to day use I have discovered only a few apps are often used.
Before that i used an Lumia 620 which still proves to be unbreakable ( if you accidentally drop it, the floor breaks, the screen stays perfect). Last week I upgraded to a 650 which is absolutely brilliant.
At this price point the 650 phone kills all competition. I've found android phones to be usability nightmares ( i'm repairing , fixing stuff for family members endlessly). Problem with Apple phones is the price point which is getting ludicrously overpriced. I didn't have the heart to go for a Lumia 950 due to bad reviews, missing / broken features and a premium price tag.

So far the 650 impresses in functionality and speed. And again at the price point it is offered you simply can't go wrong with this phone.
Even the so called lower budget iPhone SE retails at 589 euro's here.
Sure you 'll miss some apps, but it 'll safe you cash.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
^^iPhone SE speed will blow all Wp10 mobiles out of the water with its speed. And absolutely none of that "resuming" or "loading" crap that we often see on WP OS.

edit: dad has an ip6s, its really quick in everything.

It's fast. Whoa.

Anyone wants to purchase a Lumia 950 XL or swap it for an iPhone SE? Seriously the more I read about MS's attitude towards Windows 10 MObile the more I think to myslef 'why the hell did I buy this phone?!' Lucky as I was my L950 is actually broken so I may be able to swap it for a brand new one and exchange it for an iPhone.
Why not do that? If you don't find yourself liking the iPhone after all, it doesn't take much to sell.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Passing from 6" to 4" ? Sounds like selling a Land Rover for buying a tacky coloured Smart :grin: IMHO

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Here's the thing. Yes, they are not focusing on mobile this year. But that's because what's their left to salvage? Nothing. Most of the mobile OS is Windows 10 and the rest is remnants of a failed OS. The OS being Windows 10 already gives it the Windows Store. If Windows 10 gets apps then mobile gets apps and if they don't design them for mobile then Microsoft can make deals to get them to do it.

If that strategy fails, so will Windows 10. Because the whole goal is to build a store for all devices running Windows 10. If there are no apps, then Windows 10 will fail.

Now once this strategy succeeds, or at least begins to, Microsoft will focus on their mobile OS. And unlike what others have said. The mobile OS was delayed many times because it wasn't a focus and it still has issues. Their latest hardware was a me-too effort. So there's a lot Microsoft could be doing but are holding out on until their store has evolved.

For example we could have an entirely new start screen experience. Or we can have Surface Phones. But we don't have these innovations because the platform needs a decent app store to succeed.

I like to believe Microsoft is rebooting their mobile OS efforts but silently this time. Best thing to do is what I and many others did, switch to Android or iOS. Come back another day when it's actually heating up again in the Windows world.

jaredweb

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Well said.

I've had every iphone from day one. I was just using a Galaxy Note 5 alongside my Lumia 640 and I'm now selling my Note 5. Lumia 640 does everything I need it to do, and if I bust it, I've got two replacements in the closet that only cost $30! Oh, and each of them came with one year of Office 365 and 1TB of OneDrive so I'm set until 2019!

For the money WP is the only way to go. Great ecosystem with cheap phones that do everything I need.

eddydu

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Well its tough because they are doing very well with win 10 pc aspect. Windows phone is tough because there are no app support what so every. I think even the HP elite phone will not make a huge increase in sales. Yet I think if the surface phone is real, and they do something out of this world, that might save windows phone. Sorry to say this also but the 950 and 950 xl were disapointments.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This thread cracks me up. Especially the last few pages. Myerson said WP isn't MS's focus this year. he also said in the same interview "We're going to do some cool things with phones, but this year phones are an important part of our family but not the tip of the spear." Most everyone seems obsessed with the 'Not our focus this year' statement and is totally disregarding the rest of the interview. I guess people hear what THEY want and just disregard the rest. Typical...

So, I'm no longer going to focus my attention on this thread. I am going to focus on my MS Lumia 950XL. Its a really cool phone. In the summer I'll be focusing on the redstone update that's relaeased to the masses and look forward to RS2.

You all can focus on a statement taken out of context and keep bickering. Hahaha

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
This thread cracks me up. Especially the last few pages. Myerson said WP isn't MS's focus this year. he also said in the same interview "We're going to do some cool things with phones, but this year phones are an important part of our family but not the tip of the spear." Most everyone seems obsessed with the 'Not our focus this year' statement and is totally disregarding the rest of the interview. I guess people hear what THEY want and just disregard the rest. Typical...

So, I'm no longer going to focus my attention on this thread. I am going to focus on my MS Lumia 950XL. Its a really cool phone. In the summer I'll be focusing on the redstone update that's relaeased to the masses and look forward to RS2.

You all can focus on a statement taken out of context and keep bickering. Hahaha

Did you even read what happened at Build? Microsoft CLEARLY EMPHASIZED MOBILE DEVICES FOR DEVELOPERS THIS YEAR. That emphasis is called Xamarin.

According to Bloomberg, Microsoft spent USD$400 million to provide tools for Microsoft developers to port to iOS and Android or develop new apps for iOS and Android. That's huge for mobile this year.

$400 million might not be "the tip of the spear" for a huge corporation like Microsoft but it is a pretty big deal for developers who use Microsoft tools and want to develop iOS and Android apps.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Did you even read what happened at Build? Microsoft CLEARLY EMPHASIZED MOBILE DEVICES FOR DEVELOPERS THIS YEAR. That emphasis is called Xamarin.

According to Bloomberg, Microsoft spent USD$400 million to provide tools for Microsoft developers to port to iOS and Android or develop new apps for iOS and Android. That's huge for mobile this year.

$400 million might not be "the tip of the spear" for a huge corporation like Microsoft but it is a pretty big deal for developers who use Microsoft tools and want to develop iOS and Android apps.

i'm a bit confused. It seems somehow you are saying that phone is still a big part of MS plan just maybe not the main focus, at least that's what I'm getting out of your post. Since that is also the point I made in my post, I am confused as to why the initial part of your comment seems to have an issue with mine.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Well its tough because they are doing very well with win 10 pc aspect. Windows phone is tough because there are no app support what so every. I think even the HP elite phone will not make a huge increase in sales. Yet I think if the surface phone is real, and they do something out of this world, that might save windows phone. Sorry to say this also but the 950 and 950 xl were disapointments.

Government and many companies still use Blackberrys. Government and many non-tech companies tend to move slowly with technology. Read the WC article about the NYPD recently adopting Windows Phones for their beat cops.

So there could still be a market for the HP Elite 3x device. It just won't be a device geared toward consumers. Even if you got one, would you be able to play Quantum Break that is in the Microsoft Store now on the Elite 3x running W10M? Probably not.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
i'm a bit confused. It seems somehow you are saying that phone is still a big part of MS plan just maybe not the main focus, at least that's what I'm getting out of your post. Since that is also the point I made in my post, I am confused as to why the initial part of your comment seems to have an issue with mine.

Mobile devices are important to Microsoft if providing developer tools means anything so Meyerson was making sense. His statement just seemed like a polite way of saying iOS and Android, not Windows Phone, were the focus this year. They are just going where the money is. That's why corporations exist.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Mobile devices are important to Microsoft if providing developer tools means anything so Meyerson was making sense. His statement just seemed like a polite way of saying iOS and Android, not Windows Phone, were the focus this year. They are just going where the money is. That's why corporations exist.

Once again, it would seem that we are both saying the same thing. so once again i'm confused as to why you seemed to have a problem with my post

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
By killing wp MS is killing the band too.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Nobody is arguing that MS isn't doing a lot for mobile or developers.

The argument is over how much MS is doing for WM.

Meyerson clearly stated that not much will be happening for WM this year, and some are trying to reinterpret that as meaning the exact opposite of what he said.

MS has been doing a lot on the app/services/dev front. The Xamarin acquisition is part of that. MS are doing a lot for mobile... just not for Windows Mobile... for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786