Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Can you educate me about how the guy above tying in Xamarin with UWP is justifying his reason to be glass half full on WP? I don't get it. :confused:

Could you be a bit more specific in your question? I don't understand what you don't understand.

If you're trying to wrap your head around what Xamarin is, you might want to look at post #39 and #48 in this thread. Since Xamarin is squarely focused on software developers it's admittedly not the easiest thing to understand.

umovies

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
don't you mean Microsoft has never committed to windows phone and wont do it till they get a good competitive windows mobile candidate which they haven't done yet.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Could you be a bit more specific in your question? I don't understand what you don't understand.

If you're trying to wrap your head around what Xamarin is, you might want to look at post #39 and #48 in this thread. Since Xamarin is squarely focused on software developers it's admittedly not the easiest thing to understand.

Direct links are your friend: post 39 and post 48.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not fully functional.

But, it does actually work with Android and iOS. And I would venture to say that replying to messages and using Cortana are probably not the most used features of the band since it's primarily designed as a fitness tracker (since it's driven by the Microsoft Health app). In the context of this thread and the original statement that by killing Windows phone MS is killing the band is well, the answer is no, it does not kill the band. If they completely dropped Windows phone (i.e, no new devices ever) there'd still be a compelling case for the band (other problems with it such as the straps tearing aside).

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
MS has a lot of product/services and they have decided to focus on something else. If it helps MS, will eventually help WP. We will get our turn.

I think as W10 picks up steam it will help WP.

Looking forward to the world of Cortana, HoloLens, W10, Xbox, Skype and all the other MS voodoo converging .... interesting world we are moving into!

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Well, as much as I like Android and iOS, I have found over the last 2 weeks like I love the Windows OS much better. Yes, I would like the apps on it but, as long as the mobile sites are available for what I want to do, I will be happy there. Unfortunately, although I really want a 950 or XL, I am on Verizon and have a $270 ETF so I will just have to wait. :( I am starting to use the Windows Phone 8.1 features I have not used before though so, that does help.

DjeTe

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Ohhh Microsoft is not focusing on phones, my god I must throw my L950 away. Maybe MS will come knocking at my door to collect my Phone saying this is the end, give it back.
Please, really all of you.
They could have said (no one asked them, though) that the office suite is not their main focus this year either. Would you suddenly move over to Apples versions of "Word" or "Excel"?
My L950 still works, will get updates, new features and so on. Ms will not just stop working on these things but they need to get Windows 10 right, be with Xbox and at the for front with Hololens.

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Ohhh Microsoft is not focusing on phones, my god I must throw my L950 away. Maybe MS will come knocking at my door to collect my Phone saying this is the end, give it back.
Please, really all of you.
They could have said (no one asked them, though) that the office suite is not their main focus this year either. Would you suddenly move over to Apples versions of "Word" or "Excel"?
My L950 still works, will get updates, new features and so on. Ms will not just stop working on these things but they need to get Windows 10 right, be with Xbox and at the for front with Hololens.
As always, wait it's coming: Windows 10 not ready, xbox one is too weak, Hololens too expensive & Verizon....

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it time to say that windows phone is not our focus also for some years...??

I mean Microsoft's flagship line also doesn't stand out in front of android and iPhone.....also mid range......and lack of developer support and Microsoft's focus......and what about most awaited surface phone......what do you think....????

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Isn't it time to say that windows phone is not our focus also for some years...??

I think 650 is over priced....
(Snapdragon 212)its a entry level soc not even mid range........don't you think it should be snapdragon 400...
in that range Moto g series, galaxy j series are much more better....

Totally wrong. Name numbers fool unexpert. 212 doubles 400 performances with the half of battery. And that's a phone priced a grand total 150 € using a montly fee (nice for a real OLED 5" with one of the best 8 MP cameras + 5 wide angle front camera on the market)

EDIT: for you to focus difference, the new Audi A6 2.0 TDI got 30% more torque and power than previous Audi A6 3.0 V6, with less fuel burning ;)
Do you like more a 3.0 V6 badge, or a 2.0 TDI on the back of a car? :D

Last edited:

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Isn't it time to say that windows phone is not our focus also for some years...??

Totally wrong. Name numbers fool unexpert. 212 doubles 400 performances with the half of battery. And that's a phone priced a grand total 150 ? using a montly fee (nice for a real OLED 5" with one of the best 8 MP cameras + 5 wide angle front camera on the market)

Number games......don't need to tell that.....i know that........no way doubles, totally wrong, its the minor upgrade over snapdragon 210. Read this

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/11/new-entry-level-snapdragon-processors-detailed-by-qualcomm/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9511/qualcomm-launches-snapdragon-616-412-and-212

http://www.google.co.in/url?q=http:...ggWMAM&usg=AFQjCNH7ZULczLNqunt1XeMEql8cOl-wNA

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Number games......don't need to tell that.....i know that........no way doubles, totally wrong, its the minor upgrade over snapdragon 210. Read this

Qualcomm Details Snapdragon 212 and Snapdragon 412

Qualcomm Launches Snapdragon 616, 412, and 212

Snapdragon 412 and 212 offer small upgrades over 410 and 210 - GSMArena.com news

Try some benchmark... Or, better a "screen to screen" ;) (I did it).
I got last firm update 2 days ago, I feel battery difference on Redstone.
640 is surely one of best quality/price deal at now,
650 is the next, considering use on the field and full win10 support (firmware first)

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

Totally wrong. Name numbers fool unexpert. 212 doubles 400 performances with the half of battery. And that's a phone priced a grand total 150 ? using a montly fee (nice for a real OLED 5" with one of the best 8 MP cameras + 5 wide angle front camera on the market)

EDIT: for you to focus difference, the new Audi A6 2.0 TDI got 30% more torque and power than previous Audi A6 3.0 V6, with less fuel burning ;)
Do you like more a 3.0 V6 badge, or a 2.0 TDI on the back of a car? :D

Previously I mentioned galaxy j and Moto g series stands out in mid range than windows phone.....also market share.....and performance wise.
Then what about galaxy j7 super amoled......with better soc (better than snapdragon 212) over 5" 13 mp + 5 mp wide angle......at same priced
Also Moto g turbo, x play,....j5

Rest of choice is user dependent whether he or she pick android or windows....
But i just compared, also mentioned developers and Microsoft's interest
and asked on that basis if whether we focus on WP for few years are not......
And by the that Audi example doesn't fit here either....

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^^ Microsoft just wants to make maximum money by offering low SOCs.. There was nothing to stop them from providing a mid level chip for the business oriented users(lumia 650). It's all MS ideas :(

David630

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
So, I just read this article on Verge and thought of sharing with you guys. This is a really big disappointment.
Microsoft is making it ever more harder to stick with Windows Mobile. For the first time, seriously considering switching to Android. :(
Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year | The Verge
I see, not happy with their selective Windows 10 mobile updates Microsoft saw the need to instill more confidence in consumers.

Xamarin is not a tool to port apps from one operating system to another.

In it's most extreme and purist form (known as Xamarin.Forms) it allows developers to create an app with a single C# code base that runs on iOS, Android and WM. You can think of this as the truly universal app platform. A single app that runs on multiple form factors and OSes. However, many developers find this approach to be somewhat finicky and not suited to apps that must be lean, mean and fast. The advantages of Xamarin.Forms are bought by sacrificing some runtime performance, often times notably so. Most developers would say Xamarin.Forms is suited to projects where developer productivity (how fast they can crank out apps for multiple platforms and how cheaply they can be maintained) is far more important than app run-time performance.

More typically, Xamarin is used to create an app where all the non-UI components share a single C# code base that runs on iOS Android and WM. In those scenarios developers can still use C# as the language to create the UI, but the APIs their UI layers call differ between platforms. This still performs worse than an approach without Xamarin, but in many scenarios not notably so.
The problem for the developer is competition, for some of them losing performance and let's say battery life is not worth it because customers would go and buy or download another application that works better. Then we have the problem of old applications with their old code optimized or not, not sure how debugging would be, etc, it can be a good approach for some developers but as you say is not going to be good for all .

Quantum Break is UWP? How well does it play on the Lumia 950XL?
lol. But that is another problem, Microsoft is working very hard to build the perception that their UWP sucks.

Try some benchmark... Or, better a "screen to screen" ;) (I did it).
I got last firm update 2 days ago, I feel battery difference on Redstone.
640 is surely one of best quality/price deal at now,
650 is the next, considering use on the field and full win10 support (firmware first)
The last time I entered a phone shop there were a lot of phones with better specifications for comparable prices or lower, nowadays it's easy to see phones with more than 1GB of memory and 4 A7 cores, and surely with less cheap aesthetics than the Lumia 640.

Richard Bouchard1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree they have really not put any major focus on windows phone ! They were way ahead of many with the pocket PC but let that just go ! My problem is I no longer can experience any of the new new improvements because I now need a new phone and Verizon has no Flagship Windows Phone and I'm sorry but I will not move to The others !

Michal Poterek

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Actually I'm tired of big phones. 950 XL is a monster. I was looking at various sizes of phones and think something around 4-4.5" is perfect for me. Smaller would be difficult to use and bigger is just a hog in my pocket. You can;t even sit at the table with 950XL in your pocket and I'm not a fan of having phones on the table.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss