I have several weather websites pinned to my Start, for convenience (I'm a road cyclist, and sometimes out weather changes like crazy, it's handy to be able to check several sites, quickly).
    In 8.1 (obviously), WP did a great job of grabbing a representative icon from the sites, so you could tell one from another, on the start page.
    However, in 10, I've just got 5 tiles all with "Weather - X" where "X" is maybe one other character (usually S or B, for Seattle or Bellevue), so there's no way to tell which is which, in terms of pulling up the desired site.
    I've done some digging (good luck, all this platform merging makes it difficult to find mobile vs. non-mobile threads), but no success, I can't figure out any way to actually have decent 8.1 functionality?
    Is there just something I'm missing here? I'm happy to use even a hex-editor, if that's what's needed, I just want some way to differentiate my tiles, I hope...

Thanks for any insight,

-pete
    marcozomer likes this.
    04-01-2016 07:56 PM
    So your talking about pinned webpages? Those no longer provide an image on the tile when pinned. If you're looking for full 8.1 functionality, you'll have to downgrade back to 8.1 (this also depends on which device you have) :/

But if you're simply talking about app, did you try re-sizing the tile?
    04-01-2016 11:21 PM
    Yep, pinned web-pages.
    At this point, I'd be happy to downgrade (I tend to crash and have to reboot quite a bit too, Win10M hasn't exactly been a smooth experience), but I've got a 950XL, and my HTC M8 8.1 device moved to my wife, so I'm a bit stuck.

Right now any way to simply identify my Start page pinned sites would be great, SIMPLE MODIFY-ABLE text, backgrounds, even different colors, so I don't have 4-5 "Weather - B" text pinned pages. I realize that the order is probably sufficient, but it seems a bit of a serious throwback, having to resort to counting and remembering which ordinal tile represents which site?
    The text is stored somewhere, does anyone know how to dig it up and tweak it? I did try to re-size it, thinking I'd just live with 4-5 "wide" tiles until this got sorted, but it won't let me change the pinned sites beyond a medium, and it won't wrap the text, it only uses maybe 8-10 characters, on the bottom of the tile, hmm....
    I'm hoping for a more elegant answer. I haven't been able to figure out a way to downgrade my 950, I don't think the downgrade tool will let me attempt to run 8.1, given that it was never built for this device?
    I'm a die-hard Windows guy, having worked on driver stability tests in the Windows team, back in the day, but W10M has just about done me in, at least on Win10 I can use Chrome as a fallback, when Edge crashes, again, and again, ..., or for something truly futuristic, like an AdBlock plug-in ;-]

Thanks.
    04-02-2016 12:12 AM
    950 with WRDT it only takes you back to 10 OEM specs if you are on the insider program.
    04-02-2016 01:14 AM
    Even if you aren't an insider, the WDRT will only take you back to the build your device shipped with or the build/OS version that is available on the servers for your current device. Since we're dealing with a device that shipped with w10m, there is no going to 8.1

MS wouldn't want you to either, since support for that OS version will end at some point
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-03-2016 12:04 AM
    Best scenario I can think of, but this will take up a lot of you startscreen, is to download one of the apps that allows you to create header tiles. You could then name each of those header tiles and add one of the pinned webpages above or under the header tile
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-03-2016 12:06 AM
    Best scenario I can think of, but this will take up a lot of you startscreen, is to download one of the apps that allows you to create header tiles. You could then name each of those header tiles and add one of the pinned webpages above or under the header tile
    Yeah, I fooled around a bit with one of these, it essentially pins itself (the app) to the screen, and then re-directs to browser. It's too much of a kludge for me, at least at this point.
    Plus, the app faults, at various points, usually after a few launches, and fails to launch anything again, unless I manually re-start it, kinda' defeat the whole purpose. With that much hassle, I could just open edge and each favorite, it's way less inconvenient.
    I made my text 150% (I think it started at 350% recommended, or something like that), and now I can sort of discern which are which, I almost have two words on each tile.
    Downside is that I can barely read anything else, even with decent vision, that font is really getting tiny.
    I'll probably just un-pin a couple of them for now, and hope that there will be a fix, any fix, sometime soon, to get back even close to 8.1.

It's interesting, being on the flip-side of the OS fence, for a change. I just wish this were a bit more polished, ugh.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-03-2016 12:45 AM
    Got pics?
    04-04-2016 09:28 AM
    Got pics?
    Sure:wp_ss_20160506_0001-1.png
    05-06-2016 06:41 PM