Firmware - how get the latest?

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hoping someone can demystify something about Windows 10 Mobile. Running W 10 Mobile production ring on Lumia 640. When I downloaded and installed - does that make sure the device's firmware is the most recent version - or only the operating system. If only the OS, how do you download and install the latest firmware.

OS build: 10.0.10586.164
Firmware revision #: 02177.00000.15184.36016
Hardware revision: 2.1.4.0

The firmware revision and hardware revision are the same as the 640 running the stock 8.1 installation.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It depends how you got there.

If you were in Insiders and then opted out to production, you just have 8.1 firmware.
If you were on 8.1 and a carrier OTA upgrade took you to 10, it is likely the latest..

Easiest way to answer if the latest is to use the Microsoft WDRT. It will show available firmware versions and then you'll know if the latest. However you cannot upgrade it using that without a complete wipe.

I believe even if you upgraded the Insider path, at some point it will upgrade the firmware too though. This was mentioned by Microsoft as coming... perhaps when an OTA upgrade exists for 8.1 users.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Windows 10 still hasn't been offered by my carrier - but with Build going on - get excited to modernize my phone. I used Insiders to get on Insider Release Preview. That's the same version being released by some carriers, right?

Took your advice and ran the WDRT. It showed the firmware on the phone matches the version on the server

I guess this means I'm good, right, and will get future firmware updates?

Last edited:

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know this, too!
I had way out of date firmware (Lumia 830) on 8.1; I ran the Recovery Tool the other night and saw how horribly out of date it was. Curious why I wasn't getting the firmware updates in the first place. I was not on any Insider or Developer program, until I upgraded to 10 a few weeks ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12