I really miss Windows Phone, and it's quite literally driving me insane.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I should probably start off by stating that I do have obsessive-compulsive tendencies in a lot of areas of my life, but nothing debilitating and I lead a perfectly normal life. One area that greatly impacts my daily well-being, however, is my obsession with any device (desktop, laptop, phone) feeling "right". As I grew older and began using smartphones more and more, I felt an unrelenting nagging about something feeling "off". My first solution to this problem was back in 2013 when I finally switched to an HTC 8X from an HTC Incredibe (I think that's what I was using, can't recall). Windows Phone 8 was the answer to all of my "technological mental ailments". It felt incredibly clean, minimal, sexy, and smooth. I loved every minute of it and was not bothered that much by the app gap. Below is a brief timeline of my phones over the last 3 years that outlines how I am never fully satisfied, I guess.

-HTC 8X in March 2013. Dropped it and screen cracked. Bought a...

-Nokia Lumia 928 in September 2013. Hated it. What a disaster that phone was, embarrassingly buggy. Traded it in for a new one, which turned out to be better, and then dropped that one. Traded in for a...

-iPhone 4S. Loved it for two weeks, missed my 8X. Bought a...

-HTC 8X in December 2013. Fell in love all over again. Then the Icon came out, which I began itching for. I held off for a while but then...

-Nokia Lumia Icon in May 2014. Man, what a device. Loved this puppy. In February of 2015, I had to give my dog back to the breeder and I felt an emptiness. I no longer liked my phone for a variety of frustrating reasons, especially because Chase vanished from Windows Phone which really pissed me off. So...

-iPhone 6 in February 2015. Waited for a jailbreak. Jailbroke it and boom, themed my life away.

We are now in the present day, and my feeling for wanting something fresh and new is tearing me apart like an addict. I got bored and frustrated with a jailbroken iPhone, so I upgraded to iOS 9.3 and I absolutely hate it. iOS is so incredibly ugly that I hate even using my phone anymore. I've never liked iOS. You know what I've always liked? Windows Phone. Never once have I felt bored from it, merely frustrated. But what I was bored by, I suppose, was the lack of apps (I know I know, we are all sick of this argument, but it's a real one). It's something I do not take for granted on my iPhone. I'm sure there are many other things about Windows Phone that I am forgetting really sucked (I'm sure if I picked up a Windows Phone I'd very quickly remember the things that are lacking), but a huge selling point in phones for me is how comfortable I feel using it. If I don't like the look of a device, it bothers me to no end. I'm extremely bored today because my fiance is working a 12 hour shift at the hospital, and it's raining outside. So I'm sitting here watching Arsenal while feeling like I need a serious dose of Windows Phone.

Does this sound insane? Yes, it does. But I miss my Windows Phone like no other and there's obviously some big issues with W10M that are preventing me from going to the store and buying a new device. And probably that I have a wedding to save for, but even so...you don't understand how hard it is to not go buy one. Every time I'm in the mall I go and play around with them just to get my fix, but it's never the answer.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If you're in the US (I say this as you said you were watching Arsenal, but then I noticed you mentioned the Chase app & a mall lol) you could always buy an AT&T Lumia 640 as Walmart seem to have them on and off for $30. You could unlock it if you're on for T-Mobile.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
i get you, it's all shaped up, but for some reason, MS isn't interested in tweaking and putting the final touches on it, it's missing that thing n I have a gut feeling that W10M will be the next big thing, but not yet..... Keep that urge tamed for some more months and you will get something perfect from MS!!

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i get you, it's all shaped up, but for some reason, MS isn't interested in tweaking and putting the final touches on it, it's missing that thing n I have a gut feeling that W10M will be the next big thing, but not yet..... Keep that urge tamed for some more months and you will get something perfect from MS!!

Ha, I feel like people have been saying this for years, to "wait to get something perfect". It's hard to tame the urge. My fiance would throw a fit if she came home and saw I had a new phone, so that fear is keeping me from doing it.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, can't switch at the moment. And yes I am in the US but I'm a huge Arsenal supporter!

Ah just being on Verizon in itself helps keep the Windows Phone lust in check lol

Since it's so cheap, you could get one just to play with on WiFi, although I admit it's not going to be quite the same as using it as a phone. Of course even a $30 phone might still not go down to well so I hear ya :)

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I would say go get a cheap 640. Use the at&t sim for a while. I have a 1020(needs screen) a 1520 and a 535 all on w10m and so far no real issues. It's getting there slowly. Advice is to get a cheap one.
Ps im also a gunner...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Since you're on Verizon the only devices that can run W10 today (Insider route) are the Icon and 735...I would inch towards the 735 if I were you. It's cheap, has a gorgeous screen, comes with wireless charging, has a very nice camera (CZ but no PV), great battery life, and is most likely to be upgraded to W10 officially.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Since you're on Verizon the only devices that can run W10 today (Insider route) are the Icon and 735...I would inch towards the 735 if I were you. It's cheap, has a gorgeous screen, comes with wireless charging, has a very nice camera (CZ but no PV), great battery life, and is most likely to be upgraded to W10 officially.

Well, I probably should see a therapist because I DID IT BABY! I'M BACK! Bought the 735 for $200. Swapped the SIM from my iPhone, no need to go through Verizon which is fantastic. Phone is setting up now. I am so, so excited. Wish I hadn't sold all my wireless chargers.

For 30 day returns, I was fine shelling out $200. I kept my iPhone 6, so if worst comes to worst I can just switch back.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford an iPhone you can afford a 950. I say go for it and see for yourself what W10 is like, but stay off the Insider's builds. Just go with the production releases and you'll be fine. I'm running a Lumia 640 on .168 and there are no major problems--a few minor bugs, sure, but no show stoppers.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I probably should see a therapist because I DID IT BABY! I'M BACK! Bought the 735 for $200. Swapped the SIM from my iPhone, no need to go through Verizon which is fantastic. Phone is setting up now. I am so, so excited. Wish I hadn't sold all my wireless chargers.

For 30 day returns, I was fine shelling out $200. I kept my iPhone 6, so if worst comes to worst I can just switch back.

Haha, and not even two hours passed... the 735 is a solid phone :)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Lol, this is entertaining. I was told the 735 is very close to the HTC 8x in feel and touch.

Sent from my Surface 3

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Only thing immediate issues:

Turn by turn navigation that will disappear in June.
No Chase
No Snapchat
Turn by turn navigation is getting better with the new maps app (some of us are running it now). Chase might come back now that BoA is back. SnapChat is not a priority for grown ups.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Turn by turn navigation is getting better with the new maps app (some of us are running it now). Chase might come back now that BoA is back. SnapChat is not a priority for grown ups.

One can only hope that Chase will come back. I've also been considering investing in a GPS since I can't stand paying extra for data anymore (I use GPS a lot for work and our company won't buy us units). As far as Snapchat, it isn't a priority for me either but if you like making up characters/voices like I do then it's quite entertaining.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I should probably start off by stating that I do have obsessive-compulsive tendencies in a lot of areas of my life, but nothing debilitating and I lead a perfectly normal life. One area that greatly impacts my daily well-being, however, is my obsession with any device (desktop, laptop, phone) feeling "right". As I grew older and began using smartphones more and more, I felt an unrelenting nagging about something feeling "off". My first solution to this problem was back in 2013 when I finally switched to an HTC 8X from an HTC Incredibe (I think that's what I was using, can't recall). Windows Phone 8 was the answer to all of my "technological mental ailments". It felt incredibly clean, minimal, sexy, and smooth. I loved every minute of it and was not bothered that much by the app gap. Below is a brief timeline of my phones over the last 3 years that outlines how I am never fully satisfied, I guess.

-HTC 8X in March 2013. Dropped it and screen cracked. Bought a...

-Nokia Lumia 928 in September 2013. Hated it. What a disaster that phone was, embarrassingly buggy. Traded it in for a new one, which turned out to be better, and then dropped that one. Traded in for a...

-iPhone 4S. Loved it for two weeks, missed my 8X. Bought a...

-HTC 8X in December 2013. Fell in love all over again. Then the Icon came out, which I began itching for. I held off for a while but then...

-Nokia Lumia Icon in May 2014. Man, what a device. Loved this puppy. In February of 2015, I had to give my dog back to the breeder and I felt an emptiness. I no longer liked my phone for a variety of frustrating reasons, especially because Chase vanished from Windows Phone which really pissed me off. So...

-iPhone 6 in February 2015. Waited for a jailbreak. Jailbroke it and boom, themed my life away.

We are now in the present day, and my feeling for wanting something fresh and new is tearing me apart like an addict. I got bored and frustrated with a jailbroken iPhone, so I upgraded to iOS 9.3 and I absolutely hate it. iOS is so incredibly ugly that I hate even using my phone anymore. I've never liked iOS. You know what I've always liked? Windows Phone. Never once have I felt bored from it, merely frustrated. But what I was bored by, I suppose, was the lack of apps (I know I know, we are all sick of this argument, but it's a real one). It's something I do not take for granted on my iPhone. I'm sure there are many other things about Windows Phone that I am forgetting really sucked (I'm sure if I picked up a Windows Phone I'd very quickly remember the things that are lacking), but a huge selling point in phones for me is how comfortable I feel using it. If I don't like the look of a device, it bothers me to no end. I'm extremely bored today because my fiance is working a 12 hour shift at the hospital, and it's raining outside. So I'm sitting here watching Arsenal while feeling like I need a serious dose of Windows Phone.

Does this sound insane? Yes, it does. But I miss my Windows Phone like no other and there's obviously some big issues with W10M that are preventing me from going to the store and buying a new device. And probably that I have a wedding to save for, but even so...you don't understand how hard it is to not go buy one. Every time I'm in the mall I go and play around with them just to get my fix, but it's never the answer.

Well, we're similar.. I bought an iPhone 6s + 3 days ago thinking I would love it, but nope... At least not yet. Now I'm thinking of getting the 1520 after I sell my 950XL... haha

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, we're similar.. I bought an iPhone 6s + 3 days ago thinking I would love it, but nope... At least not yet. Now I'm thinking of getting the 1520 after I sell my 950XL... haha

Listen, iPhone 6 is an incredible device. I just can't handle the UI.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you can afford an iPhone you can afford a 950. I say go for it and see for yourself what W10 is like, but stay off the Insider's builds. Just go with the production releases and you'll be fine. I'm running a Lumia 640 on .168 and there are no major problems--a few minor bugs, sure, but no show stoppers.
He has Verizon, so he can't use the 950.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99