I really miss Windows Phone, and it's quite literally driving me insane.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm on a Verizon 735 and I love it. Of course W10M still has some issues, edge crashing often, and the constant OS updates. After a few of the OS updates it requires a factory reset to act right, but when it's right it's fantastic. I've only had to reset this phone once and it was the last update. I came from an S6 and I really enjoy this phone. App gap doesn't bother me, I just pin the web pages to my home which works well for me.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I'm in no rush to upgrade my Lumia 735 to W10M. I'll stick with WP 8.1 until things get a little more sorted out.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm in no rush to upgrade my Lumia 735 to W10M. I'll stick with WP 8.1 until things get a little more sorted out.

I can understand this but one thing that killed me is that it seemed like all of the app updates are for Windows Mobile and not 8.1 which makes it hard to stay there imo.

I can't recall who said this, but the general idea is that with iOS and Android, you are able to use the updated app regardless of if the OS is recent or not

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't recall who said this, but the general idea is that with iOS and Android, you are able to use the updated app regardless of if the OS is recent or not

Some apps on IOS / Android will work only after a certain update (I can confirm on IOS many apps are updated to work only after IOS 8 so if you have 7 it wont install).. For my personal use, I was able to install all my Win8.1 apps on w10M coz they are updated(or was it automatically tagged to w10?)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Some apps on IOS / Android will work only after a certain update (I can confirm on IOS many apps are updated to work only after IOS 8 so if you have 7 it wont install).. For my personal use, I was able to install all my Win8.1 apps on w10M coz they are updated(or was it automatically tagged to w10?)

I agree about the iOS 7 thing, I actually forgot about that. The update works the other way around (i.e. as you said) but it doesn't always work if you have a 8.1 phone and you want that update that has apparently changed things for the better. There are a good number of examples, but one that comes to mind is the Instagram beta. You can't install the new beta on an 8.1 phone. Some of these twitter apps with great updates, they are not on 8.1.

To me that sucks. I was excited about the 550 before because I felt like I could finally try all of the cool updated apps! Like the new GroupMe app is way better than the old one, but I wouldn't have access to it on 8.1 though. :(

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I can understand this but one thing that killed me is that it seemed like all of the app updates are for Windows Mobile and not 8.1 which makes it hard to stay there imo.

Yep. Hope T-Mobile Hurry up and release the W10M upgrade. It's three weeks already.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site

At least on my iPhone 6s, some apps need a relatively new version of iOS to work. The app makers drop support for older versions of iOS after a while. Dunno about Android - I haven't used an Android phone for about two years.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
At least on my iPhone 6s, some apps need a relatively new version of iOS to work. The app makers drop support for older versions of iOS after a while. Dunno about Android - I haven't used an Android phone for about two years.

That's really interesting. When I had a 5c on iOS 8, I was able to install all of the apps I wanted that were first party like Twitter. With Android, I think it is just varied.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
That's really interesting. When I had a 5c on iOS 8, I was able to install all of the apps I wanted that were first party like Twitter. With Android, I think it is just varied.
It doesn't happen often, and when it does it's usually a small independent app maker that can't keep up.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Currently using the 6Plus.....but just not the same.

Here are the things that I miss about my old Windows Phones (burned through 3 of them....HTC Surround, Nokia 900 and 928)

#1 Dark Theme (god please Apple....give me that)
#2 Camera with Advanced controls built right in (Apples is too dumb....and 3rd parties just cant get a logical interface that's comfortable)
#3 skipping around that easy as hell interface brought me joy
#4 Back buttons !!
#5 Back Arrows !!!!! (really Apple.....you give me a 3point font to get back to my mailbox??....&@$^#$)

#6 Tough as nails phone.....(once dropped my 928 off the roof on to my back patio.....no broken screen, snapped it back into place after the corner popped out....ready to roll !)
#7 Gorgeous AMOLED Screens (on my Lumias)

This! For me, I think MS got the right blend of flexibility, customizations and simplicity spot on. Apple is too simple. Heck even Don Norman, who was once Apple's UX architect and VP of advance tech agrees that Apple went too far with minimalism.

FYI, for those who don't know who Don is, he's really famous in the design world, especially in interaction design and UX. Got to meet him yesterday and talked about his annoyances with Apple.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
This! For me, I think MS got the right blend of flexibility, customizations and simplicity spot on. Apple is too simple. Heck even Don Norman, who was once Apple's UX architect and VP of advance tech agrees that Apple went too far with minimalism.

FYI, for those who don't know who Don is, he's really famous in the design world, especially in interaction design and UX. Got to meet him yesterday and talked about his annoyances with Apple.

Apple and minimal should never be used in the same sentence. People have very strange interpretations of what "minimalism" actually is, and iOS is nowhere near it. It's clunky and ugly.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Apple and minimal should never be used in the same sentence. People have very strange interpretations of what "minimalism" actually is, and iOS is nowhere near it. It's clunky and ugly.

iOS is not clunky. It's smooth as silk, and W10 mobile doesn't compare in that regard. Always be honest.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
iOS is not clunky. It's smooth as silk, and W10 mobile doesn't compare in that regard. Always be honest.

I don't consider huge icons that are stuck in a grid, that are barely "flat" in even the most strict design terms, as minimal. The build I'm using for W10 mobile is smooth as silk. I don't feel like dissecting the entire device, but the icons are the first thing that stands out to me as not being minimal on iOS, and that's pretty important since that's what you're looking at constantly.

"Always be honest"...come on, pal. I used an i6 for a year and I love the device. I'm not bashing it, but it took me doing hours of theming on a jailbroken phone to truly get that minimal feel. You can make your WP minimal right out of the box, and you know that.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

See, in terms of design (ID & GUI), Apple definitely has a minimalistic approach, and they're trying to follow one of the 10 principles of Design by Dieter Rams, which is "Less is better." Apple makes gorgeous, elegant products, but they failed when it comes to UX. Their brand is so strong that even though they have awful usability, people would blame themselves for being "stupid" which is bs because Design should functional, and the features should discoverable, has feedback, and can recover from errors user errors.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Kind of sad and funny at the same time, but I've got to supervise a contractor tomorrow and have already swapped my SIM back to my iPhone because I'm worried about not having a reliable phone (primarily for GPS). Don't care though because I've still got my baby to return to after work.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Kind of sad and funny at the same time, but I've got to supervise a contractor tomorrow and have already swapped my SIM back to my iPhone because I'm worried about not having a reliable phone (primarily for GPS). Don't care though because I've still got my baby to return to after work.

I have been wondering how you have been dealing with this since you made the thread. I must ask, how do you deal with texts and such between phones? I have thought about doing something like this but to me, it sounds like more than I would like to deal with.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been wondering how you have been dealing with this since you made the thread. I must ask, how do you deal with texts and such between phones? I have thought about doing something like this but to me, it sounds like more than I would like to deal with.

What do you mean exactl by texts and such between phones? My experience has generally been very positive.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean exactl by texts and such between phones? My experience has generally been very positive.

I mean like say you get a text on your iPhone during the week about some event/get-together/etc, and then you put the sim in your 735 for the weekend, and you miss out on having part of the information for the get-together, because it's on your other phone.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I mean like say you get a text on your iPhone during the week about some event/get-together/etc, and then you put the sim in your 735 for the weekend, and you miss out on having part of the information for the get-together, because it's on your other phone.

been wondering the same thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb