Windows 10 Mobile or Roll Back to 8.1?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying out the Redstone builds on my daily driver 1520 and the official (non-native ROM) WM10 build on my AT&T Lumia 640. The only unstable experience has been Microsoft Edge, it seriously sucks in it's current state. Everything else has been very very stable (my 1520 has minor UI glitches but it's fast).

I've tried the Redstone build as well. Performance is similar to the production build. The only problem I've had is downloading voice language packs (Cortana is finally available in my region and yet I can't download it).

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Ummm...I don't quite understand? Does the Play Store really have something this original looking? WM10 start screen experience is same as 8.1 (or can be made)

There are several launchers on the Play Store that had cheesy transparency effects years before W10M came out so yes.

You do realize every design element is a subset of each other...the only thing that is truly borrowed from Android is the notification center. Everything else can be traced back to WM5.0 or even prior to that.

Not talking about. I was referring to style of the icons and other UI elements. The sudden switch to wireframe icons that look straight out of Android 4.0 and iOS is the most obvious example. It's funny and sad at the same time.

The toggles are similar to WP8.x. The only difference is 8.x = sharp corners, 10 = rounded corners. Does that mean MS copied iOS?

Pretty much, yeah. WP had nice and distinct square toggles for years and now suddenly MS goes to round. The cropped circle profile pictures are on another level of stupidity.

This is subjective..IMO its way better than 8.1, better customization (102 color combinations) than Android Marshmallow (B/W) and a ton better than the cartoony looking from iOS

102 color combinations but most of them are brown and gray. Great design choice there. 8/8.1 had less accent colors but they were much more well designed. We used to have crimson, lime, indigo, yellow and a beautiful cobalt (before it was changed to a lame purple in 8.1). One step forward, a bunch of steps back.

So to summarize...I find WM10 way better looking than WP8.X. Now if you bring the whole (original) Metro UI feel being lost due to the hamburger implementation then I agree...on everything else...WM10 is more or less...better.

That's just super but I can only agree that W10M is better in certain functions but in terms of aesthetics and user friendliness it falls short. It's not even about hamburger menus or copying other bad UI mistakes. It's like MS took 8.1, hit it with a shovel and then added stuff from Android and iOS. Some may like it but honestly it's an insult to those that came to the platform because of how stylish and clean it was.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
User friendshipness? I use everyday the Win10 fast search on apps and settings instead of scrolling for minutes!
And the Fluo line design that remember Cortana ring is The distinguishing Sign. Like the angel eyes on a Bmw or the devil eyes on an Audi
In 8.1 I missed the square people tiles :(

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
cant blame them this time though...

Exactly , just as MS can't be bothered supporting "some" older Lumias what makes it any different for the carriers, way too much time has passed.

It's been 20+ months since purchasing my 830 and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it wasn't a big seller for my carrier, chances are slim to none that W10M will see the light of day on it for those two reasons alone.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
None of the US carriers have officially rolled out WM10.

Wait what? What was that big Mass then on March 17th when it was finally released? It was only through the Insider Program?

What about the Upgrade Advisor? Does that work on all carriers or just some? And where do those upgrades come from, MS directly? So no carrier specific images are used in the US?

Sorry I've been out of the loop for 6 months.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Wait what? What was that big Mass then on March 17th when it was finally released? It was only through the Insider Program?

What about the Upgrade Advisor? Does that work on all carriers or just some? And where do those upgrades come from, MS directly? So no carrier specific images are used in the US?

Sorry I've been out of the loop for 6 months.

kinda like dev prev 2 years ago only this time its supposed to be "official" but its just a special insider ring which launches from another app, all manually, the user has to know and want to do it, a very wise choice I have to say

maybe next year they can start forcing "upgrades" like they do on pc, cant wait to see how they cut their sd212 phones from rs2 in another round of public outcry, they seem to love the formula, "lets release already obsolete-underpowered devices and then turn the worlds slickest-fastest-smoothest OS ever into an even better lagdroid"

Shane Richardson1

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the Icon, which is essentially the same phone as the 1520. It seems that they will not release an official build for it. I have grown so frustrated with Microsoft's handling of the OS and phones that My next will likely be Android. I just grow weary of their foot shooting. I loved 7.5 with Zune music player, all it needed was apps.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I have more then 1 Windows phone, I moved one to Windows 10 insider, while keeping my main phone on Windows 8.1. I then received a Microsoft 950 XL, turned it to insider and it's now got builds that my older
Windows 10 phone have not received. It seems Microsoft is concentrating on newer phones, and letting older phones on the same build as non insiders. Last week my Windows 8.1 phone was upgraded
to Windows 10 and it's running smoothly, so far. It's getting app updates, where on Windows 8.1 wasn't getting them. I'm liking the new features on the phone so far, knowing it's going to improve. At times it's hard to be patient waiting for the updates, wishing that things would happen faster.

Per Kjellqvist

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I don?t really understand what there is not to like about W10M when compared to WP8.1

I didn?t test any of the beta builds, and instead waited for the official update which for my phone (Lumia 640) and carrier (Q-Greece) came a few days ago.

Having used W10M a few days now, and really trying to test everything in depth, I like pretty much everything about it. Here are a few highlights:

Much better versions of OneNote, Word, and Excel. They all support password protected files and tabs for example. Other improvements are; consistent file history, similar menus, remembers where I was in OneNote on the other device.

Several email accounts contained in one version of Outlook (in 8.1 I had 3 Outlook icons).

I use Groove (and have a subscription) on my PC, and the mobile version is now much improved. I can for example see my songs listed in ?most recent first? order, like I have been doing on my PC for a long time.

I use 3 different keyboard layouts (English, Swedish, and Greek) and ?Word-Flow? now works in Swedish.

The settings menu is in my point of view very much improved, and it is great to have expanded quick keys. I don?t really care if the slider switches have rounded corners or not. Overall I find it much easier to find what I am looking for with the new settings layout.

My home screen looks almost identical to the one I had in 8.1 so I don?t really see the problem someone reported there. I did however notice that some of my apps which got upgraded to work on W10M now have transparent tiles which actually makes my home screen even nicer than before.

As far as the hamburger menus go I like them as well. It makes the mobile experience resemble how things work on the desktop a lot more. I totally understand why they went down that route.

I have not noticed any reduction in speed. In fact, Skype now starts up MUCH faster, and I wouldn?t be surprised if other apps do as well.

For me W10M is just as ?fluid? and smooth as WP8.1. On top of that I also think most apps look nicer (this is of course a matter of personal preference). Outlook and the other Office apps for example now mimic the desktop versions much better and just look cleaner and nicer. The same goes for Groove and several other apps.

I haven?t really tested the camera much and am curious to know what some people have reported as being worse with the one on W10M.

I will for sure not downgrade back to 8.1

Arid NL

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I love winphone 10. But I did roll back to 8.1. I missed that my band worked with all the notifications, as did my wireless charger dt-902. It's little things that you get used to, you miss them when they ate not there. Win 8.1 feels super chunky after 10. Looking forward to a more complete build of 10 for Microsoft :) still a happy windows fan and love my Band2

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not moving my 1020 off of WP8.1. I've been testing W10M on a 635 and 640, and mistakenly bought a 950. W10M is a fail in every way, as far as I'm concerned. My 1020 w/WP8.1 is a better experience all around, with only one exception: camera speed. The pictures & video I take from the 1020 are still the best. I can't stand what comes out of the 950 and speed doesn't make up for it. The Start screen on W10M is just horrible, too crowded.

Sankar Raman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Windows 8.1 Denim VS Windows 10 Mobile 10586.164

After nearly a month of usage of Windows 10 Mobile rolled out by Microsoft on my Lumia 540, i found some pros and cons.

Pros:
1. You can change font size.
2. More color shades added for Start menu.
3. Faster and long lasting battery backup.
4. Battery Saver really shows a effect.

Cons:
1. Reduced Graphic Rendering. (Lumia 540)
2. Unstable apps. (Camera, Groove Music, etc)
3. Unexpected app closing.

Above issues may be faced only by me, please correct me if anything is wrong and like to give some solutions for issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion