Windows 10 Mobile or Roll Back to 8.1?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^ There's no app closing in my case nor unstable apps. Do a hard reset and a fresh installation from start :)

Id have to agree on graphics, games are slower to play on my 730 especially the intensive ones(fps has reduced!) and time taken to launch a app takes longer . Hopefully this will go away in the next production build, there was this bad vibration for 5 seconds yesterday and phone just restarted :/ wirdly . Ive also noticed that sometimes phone restarts on entering photo gallery upon scrolling alot of images. Other than that it's a stable daily driver for me :devil:

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if the firmware has anything to do with it but, when I wrote this post, I had an AT&T phone. In order to get my LTE working, I since then debranded it to put the T-Mobile ROM using the Windows Devide Recovery Tool (and a few hacks) and now, with the official Windows 10 Mobile production release and a hard reset it's working marvelously.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 8.1 Denim VS Windows 10 Mobile 10586.164

After nearly a month of usage of Windows 10 Mobile rolled out by Microsoft on my Lumia 540, i found some pros and cons.

Pros:
1. You can change font size.
2. More color shades added for Start menu.
3. Faster and long lasting battery backup.
4. Battery Saver really shows a effect.

Cons:
1. Reduced Graphic Rendering. (Lumia 540)
2. Unstable apps. (Camera, Groove Music, etc)
3. Unexpected app closing.

Above issues may be faced only by me, please correct me if anything is wrong and like to give some solutions for issues.

Font size adjustment: I've found no way the increase the size of the tiny apps menu. Another size observation, the button labels are cut off at the bottom.
My battery use has at least doubled--battery saver does not help.
The circle-icons for contacts is just plain ugly, and in no way as classy as the flipping icons (I know, not this again, just as subjective as the additional color/shades on the start screen)
Notification sounds for email do not work no matter what 'ringtone' is chosen. As a matter of fact, the whole notification thing is very iffy.

I can tolerate every thing else except for the dramatic increase in battery usage.
I'm running the insider production on a unlocked Lumia 640 GoPhone. I've been through the settings many times (some can be quite confusing and even contradictory). I've shut off everything I can in the background. I plan to hang on for a week, but if the usage doesn't settle down, I'll be rolling back to 8.1, at least until any desirable W10 apps show up (the primary reason to get W10!)

Joel Zerpa

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Personally still use my 820 Lumia because Windows Phone 8.1 has things that to me are essential, it is fast, keyboard works better, some apps do not work at all on Windows 10 Mobile and has offiline voice commands. I also have a 640 LTE Lumia Windows 10 mobile and works very well, but strange the fluidity of Windows Phone 8.1 hopefully the next patch correct speed, voice commands offline and greater compatibility with WP8 apps so use the 640 Lumia as phones main

Kishan

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I am (at least was) a Windows phone fan for its beautiful operating system, its fluidity and transitions. When windows phone 8.1 preview was released, I downloaded it on my Lumia 1320 and it ran buttery smooth with almost no issues. So my first experience with a windows phone preview software was good. Trusting Microsoft to do the same thing again, I installed windows 10 preview on my phone a few updates after its release. Much to my chagrin, none of the apps from my SD card were installed, all my phone apps were wiped out (even the paid ones!) and the Microsoft account somehow didn't know that I had already purchased and installed them before. So re-installing from the store was not possible. Also, photos from my SD card were not showing up in the gallery, my contacts didn't show up and to call anybody, I had to hunt for their number and type it manually. This was my daily driver phone, so it was a big problem. Then I received an update. Thinking that the update might resolve the issues, I set the phone to download it. But to my horror, the update stuck on the screen with the spinning gears! It wouldn't go ahead. I tried to let the battery drain, but no use. Resetting wasn't working either. So finally I had to connect it to my laptop and use the Nokia Tool to recover my phone to factory Windows 8.1 condition. Since then, I've been using Windows phone 8.1
After all the improvements and builds, I am tempted to put Windows 10 again on my phone (since it wasn't released for the Lumia 1320 in the latest announcements), but i decided against it because it was too much of a risk and hassle if something like that happened again.

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I am having very bad trouble with the keyboard freezing on my Lumia 930, very unfortunate. Also not sure if there is an official release build for my UK phone. As an ex-MS employee and a WP user since its birth, I am very disappointed the way MS is going, the build i got is very unstable, lots of crashes and Edge keeps hanging up on me. I have to soon take a hard call and leave WP. :(

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I got the update Maurizio, Im not on insider. Just a few bug fixes notably:
Fixes duplicate app in background app list
Groove music fix when screenoff
Microsoft edge is much better now, I dont get that blank white page now ;-)
and more..

I still see they havent fixed an issue where the folder in start screen does not reflect new tile changes within the folder immediately.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Apart from the quirks and the bugs, WM10 is far superior to Windows Phone 8/8.1 in just about every way. I wish the software was polished more and that they'd fix the bloat but it's a step in the right direction.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I rolled back to WP8.1 and am very glad I did.

W10M has a MESS of a UI. The lovely design language of WP8.1 has gone and been replaced by Android-with-Live-Tiles. This was a deliberate policy decision by Microsoft (read about it elsewhere in this forum), but I believe it was the wrong policy decision.

The above is subjective. But here is a show-stopper for me: Cortana in W10M cannot auto-silence the phone based on calendar appointments. This is ESSENTIAL to me. I'm in an out of lectures all day, and having to remember to silence/unsilence the phone at the start and end of each lecture is just too much, and I inevitably forget sometimes.

When Cortana gets the functionality it already has in WP8.1, I'll give W10M another go.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
In some respects, I got a little annoyed with WP8.1 as some of the integrated features that were lost between the transition were rather good. I understand why they went, but in hindsight, the social media apps are still rather poor, so the change in some ways was just poorer all around as it didn't fix anything, just ended up with a worse experience.

Now, when it comes to W10M, I haven't used it, but there's just too many comments about it being buggy and not particularly good. I also like here maps far too much, so that just means that I'm kind of happy that my L920 is stuck on 8.1.

I think that in many respects, the clean UI of WP7 and WP8 has been getting wrecked a bit, W10M just looks like it's getting too complicated. My phone currently does just about everything I could want it to, so There's no new functionality to be had, meanwhile, the app gap isn't being solved with W10M, so what difference does it make. Also, now's a really confusing time for the platform, since the surface phone rumours are rife, and it really does appear that 'windows phone' is being abandoned, I really can't see what's going on with the platform. The mere fact that MS is throwing their existing good will under a bus, again, just seems to me like this platform is destined for failure. As much as I love using it, the problems were not really with the UI, it was with lacking features, poor quality apps and completely absent apps. It just seems to me like MS isn't targeting those things directly, and worrying about inconsequential things instead.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have trouble believing the people that say they don't see any crashing. I see the most on the messaging and the photos app. I see the most crashing while attempting to attach files. It happens with other apps. I like the potential, but even with hard resets and apps installed into the phone, it exhibits the same behavior. I truly don't believe there are people not seeing the same issues everyone else is, including everyone that reviews W10M.

chanduycm

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes I agree with you, WM10 is definitely better OS than android. in WM10, miss those square tiles in people app. but the whole icons with theme colours, UI style, is cooler than WP8.1. Dark theme is definitely cool thing in WP8.1&WM10. I feel Microsoft should keep old style with new features and expecting a nice spec phone at an affordable price. this is the place where WM lagging. in India you can get moderate spec android phone @10K , but windows phone no where stands. !!!

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Not in 2016.
Come on friend, windows phone 8.1 is not outdated!!!
After all, W10 Mobile counts a few months of life, but it is still, buggy, laggy, crappy, random resetting, getting devices hot, draining the battery, cannot even display bgrnd image on app list properly, and all that, because it was developed with the "help" of Insiders.
Win 8.1 for phone is still in the game, because it just WORKS!!!
It seems that MS had all their employees fired and relied on users er.... sorry, Insiders for the the development of their new OS!!! So sad...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Come on friend, windows phone 8.1 is not outdated!!!
After all, W10 Mobile counts a few months of life, but it is still, buggy, laggy, crappy, random resetting, getting devices hot, draining the battery, cannot even display bgrnd image on app list properly, and all that, because it was developed with the "help" of Insiders.
Win 8.1 for phone is still in the game, because it just WORKS!!!
It seems that MS had all their employees fired and relied on users er.... sorry, Insiders for the the development of their new OS!!! So sad...

Windows Phone 8.1 is as outdated as much as it can. And the fact that it works server no purpose. My 20+ year old TV still works, however it weighs like 10 kgs and is supposed to be in a museum.
The only thing that I currently think 8.1 does better is preserve battery. But that's probably because it had like 6 features all together. All in all, I see no point in holding back progress. Windows 10 (Mobile) is the successor of Windows Phone, it's better, and it will be even more better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3