they seriously need to bring back the square icons

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
This design anomaly cannot co-exist with WIndows 10 mobile ecosystem. It was something that started on social apps like snapchat, facebook, google and it really just cannot mix with our "People app" Its a giant rectangle with round faces inside it. Its not cute. It's a cancer to what Windows ecosystem. And it is seriously irritating my OCD when I open my phone, or go to text messages, or go to my contacts list. It crops peoples faces, specially grouped photos in an icon. At least give us the OPTION to use squares back. I also am not a fan of the hamburger menus, but that's something I can overlook just to cater those android/apple switchers.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ the hamburger menu bothers me far more, considering that functionally superior options (not just in terms of design) would have been available. However, this UI element was introduced to simplify life for developers looking to port apps. It wasn't so much about makeing W10M more familiar to iOS/Android users.
The people-icons are round for the same reason. This UI style guideline has no benefits over what WP8.1 offered, and people with OCD view it as detrimental. For developers it's good however, as it reduces the work required to port Android and iOS apps where round circles are often used.
I dislike both choices (particularly the hamburger which is functionally inferior to other options), and while I wouldn't have made those choices, I begrudgingly understand why they were made.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But people app is Microsoft app, why cant they give us the option yo use square?
If it were only about users then MS could do that. But like I said, it's not about users. It's about (for example) developers being able to take their iOS app and port it with Islandwood with the resulting app then looking somewhat consistent with everything else on the OS, while simultaneously requiring as little work (developer effort and cost) as possible.
Requiring developers to restyle their UI for W10M, or (worse) adding options to let users choose, not only requires developers to do far more work than is necessary, but also leaves us with an inconsistent mess where some apps use round (where the developer didn't want to make the effort) and others square imagery for people-related symbols...
It's about maintaining at least some stylistic consistency, in a world where MS expects the majority of apps to be iOS-ports (or single source Xamarin apps) rather than being built specifically for W10M.
It's basically MS conceding that WP has irreversibly lost the app war.

Last edited:

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I cannot wait until we can catch up so others can submit to our demands. All of these designs are post-windows7. Metro was the future of the designs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99