Text Message backup not restored (maybe deleted completely) after insider build 14322.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Okay! so this what happened, I installed the build 14322 on my L1520 with no issue, did a hard reset, and started installing my required apps, first i was annoyed with the pending apps in the all apps list and in the store, the image tearing while video recording. then i noticed that i am not getting my messages restored, i had setup to download messages from "Any Time" but i did not get my messages. tried couple of work around for pending apps, but the video recording bug was annoying so i decided to go back to .218 after i had submitted my feedback using the build for more than 24 hours.

Guess what i am still not getting my messages restored after getting back to .218, is the backup corrupted or deleted all together?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Text message sync/backup has been broken for some time now. I don't know what's going on, I just know that is isn't working.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a well-known and discussed issue on the forums, unfortunately. Equally unfortunately, the only "solution" would require you to travel back in time to tell yourself to download "contacts+messages backup" and use that before hard resetting.

If you have a desktop, laptop or tablet that can run the Insider builds of the desktop OS, the Fast ring build has the early "Messaging Everywhere" app that will show you what texts are stored in the cloud (but won't sync for you now).

I know that's not a huge help, but it is something at least..

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
The only DESKTOP i have is the one i use for gaming, and insider builds are not very good for gaming! i guess we will have to wait untill its fixed and see if they are restored, otherwise, goodbye to the old memories :(

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
i guess we will have to wait untill its fixed and see if they are restored, otherwise, goodbye to the old memories :(
I would expect more recent messages to be potentially lost (if your account is like mine). I stopped syncing texts around 3/15/2016 for some reason. It stinks but I'm not too attached to my texts. I'm just annoyed that Microsoft isn't being open about the issues with their text backup functions.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I would expect more recent messages to be potentially lost (if your account is like mine). I stopped syncing texts around 3/15/2016 for some reason. It stinks but I'm not too attached to my texts. I'm just annoyed that Microsoft isn't being open about the issues with their text backup functions.

yea, there was no mention that text syncing is broken in any or the past couple of builds. its sad :( i really loved how easy it was to keep them backed up on cloud...

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
This is what I just came here to get help with. Unfortunately for me this hits me close to the heart. I was on build 14295 but it was too buggy for me so I wanted to roll back to the previous build. Before doing so I did a backup under the settings in Update & Security to make sure I would keep my messages. After rolling back to 8.1 and then back to W10M I went to the Messaging settings and selected "Any time". All of my texts with my wife came back after texting with her a couple times. No other ones came back. My mother passed away 7 months ago and I had kept all of her texts to go back and read from time to time. I was hoping to "jog" the back up and text her number to see if it would download those messages, but still nothing. I know those messages are out there floating around in a backup file, I wish so badly to find where they are to retrieve them. If anyone knows ANYTHING I can do I would really really appreciate it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue after rolling back to 218 from 14322 last Thursday. Today I was tinkering around with the display resolution DPI on my 1520, reduced it to 175% and rebooted...and somehow all my text messages started restoring, I was on Wi-Fi. It could be that the restart or DPI change might have triggered the restore. I am back to the recommended 250% and everything is back to normal.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
This is what I just came here to get help with. Unfortunately for me this hits me close to the heart. I was on build 14295 but it was too buggy for me so I wanted to roll back to the previous build. Before doing so I did a backup under the settings in Update & Security to make sure I would keep my messages. After rolling back to 8.1 and then back to W10M I went to the Messaging settings and selected "Any time". All of my texts with my wife came back after texting with her a couple times. No other ones came back. My mother passed away 7 months ago and I had kept all of her texts to go back and read from time to time. I was hoping to "jog" the back up and text her number to see if it would download those messages, but still nothing. I know those messages are out there floating around in a backup file, I wish so badly to find where they are to retrieve them. If anyone knows ANYTHING I can do I would really really appreciate it.

Backup is intended for apps list, contact, personal info and settings. Messages are backupped daily and uses a separate setting.
But server is blocked since weeks.
One Moderator tried changin screen DPI and rebooting and said messages starded restoring

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am on build 10586.218 on my L930 and text message restore works for me although I didn't restore at OOBE but added my MSA after the phone loaded the start screen and then turned on sync messages across all devices.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue after rolling back to 218 from 14322 last Thursday. Today I was tinkering around with the display resolution DPI on my 1520, reduced it to 175% and rebooted...and somehow all my text messages started restoring, I was on Wi-Fi. It could be that the restart or DPI change might have triggered the restore. I am back to the recommended 250% and everything is back to normal.
I gave this a try and it didn't cause my phone to sync any text messages, unfortunately. I'm glad that it worked for you, at least!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I gave this a try and it didn't cause my phone to sync any text messages, unfortunately. I'm glad that it worked for you, at least!
Yeah that's what I thought so. It could either be a bug or a back-end server issue.

Edit: One thing I would like to confirm is my text messages were not completely deleted. They were restored back after 3 days but they eventually did. Just wanted to share my experience with folks here (especially C LaBelle) which does confirm otherwise as stated in the second half of the thread title.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
They came back for me after a random delay on 218. So some oddities going on. Providing the option to restore messages is set then I think you'll find they're there somewhere. Possibly changes for Everywhere Messaging is breaking normal operation.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Text Message backup not restored (maybe deleted completely) after insider bui...

The main thing to keep in mind is we don't know when it went down(the server). So if you keep resetting, you are likely losing the texts sent after it broke. So be patient and when it comes back online, it will backup the new ones too.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well hopefully all of my texts are still there in the back up, its just a matter of getting them to download. Hopefully one day they will show back up.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Text Message backup not restored (maybe deleted completely) after insider bui...

The main thing to keep in mind is we don't know when it went down(the server). So if you keep resetting, you are likely losing the texts sent after it broke. So be patient and when it comes back online, it will backup the new ones too.
The one thing that bugs me is that we have no idea how it's supposed to work. Is there a page where MS describes the SMS/MMS backup logic? How should it behave with multiple devices that have different sync durations, how does it handle conflicts, where is the data stored and maybe even in what format, etc.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Text Message backup not restored (maybe deleted completely) after insider bui...

The one thing that bugs me is that we have no idea how it's supposed to work. Is there a page where MS describes the SMS/MMS backup logic? How should it behave with multiple devices that have different sync durations, how does it handle conflicts, where is the data stored and maybe even in what format, etc.

Previously we could access out sms history in the chat history option on outlook.com but that was removed awhile ago.

You could also play around with the URL to access to that but I can't recall what it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers