05-06-2016 11:06 PM
84 ... 234
tools
    That has always been my contention too in that it's irrelevant that the phone shares the app platform with the desktop if there is no reason for it to be on the desktop in the first place.

I am guessing the assumption is that the desktop market will shrink and more people will be moving to Surface type devices where perhaps some of those phone apps might make a little more sense, although using a tablet at the Starbucks drive thru or tracking your fitness activities might still be a bit of a stretch
    I take your point with this, but it must be reiterated that "desktop" Windows encompasses a huge number of form factors now. OK, no one is going to want a fitness tracker or a tap-to-pay Costa Coffee app on a traditional desktop PC or even a laptop, but the same version of Windows is on tablets like the Linx series (7", 8" or 10" screens) and as daft as it may seem to some people, we've all seen iPads used as cameras at the beach and even as mp3 players at the gym. Equally if you had said a few years ago that people would be watching "TV" (Netflix and such like I mean) on their phones you would probably have been laughed at.
    04-24-2016 06:39 PM
    I take your point with this, but it must be reiterated that "desktop" Windows encompasses a huge number of form factors now. OK, no one is going to want a fitness tracker or a tap-to-pay Costa Coffee app on a traditional desktop PC or even a laptop, but the same version of Windows is on tablets like the Linx series (7", 8" or 10" screens) and as daft as it may seem to some people, we've all seen iPads used as cameras at the beach and even as mp3 players at the gym. Equally if you had said a few years ago that people would be watching "TV" (Netflix and such like I mean) on their phones you would probably have been laughed at.
    Sure you're always going to have devices used in all sorts of unintended ways, but using an iPad as a camera or mp3 player at a gym isn't actually that impractical, but using one while jogging etc as an activity tracker or a constant companion to your smart watch probably is.
    04-26-2016 09:11 AM
    When apps don't exist, it is normally just as easy for a pc to go to the website (like HBO Go).
    I think that's the problem with the platform, leveraging desktop users to get mobile apps is going to be a bit of a problem. Many apps just wouldn't make sense on a desktop.

However, I also wonder, if there was a choice of using a youtube app on a desktop, or just going into the browser, again, would anyone bother with the app? So it's back into that problem, will the lever be enough to entice app development? In some cases, definitely, but in others, probably not. Snapchat, google/youtube, valve, they're a couple of names that I know won't bother supporting UWP, and hence, no mobile app.
    cracgor and libra89 like this.
    04-27-2016 09:28 PM
    Just an update on this week's first-party additions... Fox Sports Go (huge for me!), Wattpad, giffgaff (a UK mobile network), and of course Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram. Of course, the mobile editions of Facebook and Messenger won't be ready til later this year. Kind of a bummer, and a reminder that UWP are "easy" but not automatic. But still, another week, another slue of new apps.
    04-28-2016 10:57 PM
    Just an update on this week's first-party additions... Fox Sports Go (huge for me!), Wattpad, giffgaff (a UK mobile network), and of course Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram. Of course, the mobile editions of Facebook and Messenger won't be ready til later this year. Kind of a bummer, and a reminder that UWP are "easy" but not automatic. But still, another week, another slue of new apps.
    How do you know FB or Instagram are UWA? Many blogs say that, but no official announcement on windows blog or by FB. I'm not sure they're using UWP, is there Osmeta tool able to generate UWP code?
    04-29-2016 07:23 AM
    I work in IT at big finical/Banking firm in NYC and our most requested application is Windows UWP apps.

That's good news but doesn't really mean anything. The reason its the most requested is because is the only platform that doesn't have one. lol

Sent from my Surface 3
    libra89, Joe920 and cracgor like this.
    04-29-2016 07:29 AM
    How do you know FB or Instagram are UWA? Many blogs say that, but no official announcement on windows blog or by FB. I'm not sure they're using UWP, is there Osmeta tool able to generate UWP code?
    I assume they're UWA since Facebook officially states that they're coming to WIndows 10 for phones later this year. Here is the full statement: Facebook & Messenger for Windows 10 Mobile coming later this year? | Nokiapoweruser
    04-29-2016 10:52 PM
    However, I also wonder, if there was a choice of using a youtube app on a desktop, or just going into the browser, again, would anyone bother with the app?
    I suppose that would mainly be down to the performance of the website. For example, I always found the Facebook website quite slow to load, as well as being 'clunky' in terms of scrolling down the page, particularly when there were videos within the news feed (regardless of what browser I was using). I've now installed the app that was released a couple of days ago; I much prefer the UI of the app (to me, it's 'cleaner' and 'fresher'), loading is considerably quicker and scrolling is smooth. I have now removed the website from my browser's favourites bar, and am using the app.
    04-30-2016 03:29 AM
    This week's announced first-party additions: Vine, OneDrive, WinZip, inKin, Paint, Wattpad, and GiffGaff (UK MVNO carrier apparently)
    Joe920 and Axeelant like this.
    05-06-2016 11:06 PM
84 ... 234