Official Redstone 1 for Mobile - another cut off?

rmarcin

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

This is my first post here, I hope I am not posting a new thread in a wrong place, please correct me if I am wrong :)

Small question to you,
So we know 520, 530, 530 DS, 620, 625, 630, 630 DS, 720, 820, 920, 925, 1020 i 1320 could get Windows 10 using Insider Program and it worked well or less well depending on phone, or user's expectation. When it comes to official Windows 10 Mobile Update, they did not receive it.

I have found a theory started by polish Windows Phone blogger, that when Redstone 1 will become official, the next bunch of phones ( 430, 435, 532, 535, 540, 635 (1GB), 636 (1GB), 638 (1GB), 640, 640 XL, 730, 735, 830, 930, 1520.) will be cut off from the official Redstone 1 update and the only phones that will get the update in a official way will be the phones that are sold already with W10 preinstalled.

What is your opinion on that?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Seems unlikely. I mean, they'll have to cut off some of those devices eventually, but I doubt it will be with RS1.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
too soon, but for RS2 that's a resounding yes, I'm still wondering how the 435 with a slower dual core than the old S4 made it into w10m, if anything you can expect the 930-1520 to make it to RS2, nothing else

rmarcin

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
he is just assuming that. they ended support for phones that came with WP 8.0 preinstalled, so he thinks with a next big update, the won't support phones with WP 8.1 preinstalled

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
All sounds a bit anecdotal.
As with the last cut off, MS will likely choose which phones continue with official and development builds based on user feedback.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
could be, yes. currently RS builds don't support the 635 while it got the "official" W10M update - and I find that very suspicious.

what really hurts is that I thought I could stay with my 1020 on 10586 and will get all the future app updates. but since the news about the VLC app were released where they stated "our app will be Redstone only" I think that all the UWA will be Redstone-only in the near future

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe some of the phones will be cut out, but I doubt Lumia 930 will be removed. Has 2GB of RAM and fully capable Snapdragon CPU.

It depends on user feedback. Units will be chosen based on telemetry/feedback given closer to the RTM during optimization. So it's not guaranteed really.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
It depends on user feedback. Units will be chosen based on telemetry/feedback given closer to the RTM during optimization. So it's not guaranteed really.

I hear more complaints about Lumia 950 & XL than 930 on insider feedback hub, so I really doubt it.
Most of the builds run ok-ish on the 930, battery drainage is the only issue but that is something to bear while having an insider build.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what to think, it sounds a bit too unrealistic, but Microsoft has shown that we can't really know what is "beneath them."

I suspect that if MS believes it will help the bottom line, they will throw whatever 10 Mobile users remain under the bus and claim the bugs inherent to 10 Mobile are the cause.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
he is just assuming that. they ended support for phones that came with WP 8.0 preinstalled, so he thinks with a next big update, the won't support phones with WP 8.1 preinstalled

Oh so there's no actual sources, it's just a theory based on the 512 MB devices debacle?

Then again I don't see what Redstone could have that would be more buggy on phones that originally came with 8.1 vs the current W10m builds.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I suspect that if MS believes it will help the bottom line, they will throw whatever 10 Mobile users remain under the bus and claim the bugs inherent to 10 Mobile are the cause.

LOL yeah the way this is going, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I hear more complaints about Lumia 950 & XL than 930 on insider feedback hub, so I really doubt it.
Most of the builds run ok-ish on the 930, battery drainage is the only issue but that is something to bear while having an insider build.

That's because the phones offer more features. Continuum, windows hello, etc. But in reality it isn't that bad. And 950/950xl will always be higher priority as the end game is a centralized device for all your computing needs. This is what will bring mobile back. New data from an australian company show that phone sales are dipping and dipping. People don't really have too much reason to update as these phones are expensive but are limited to their use. From the rumors iphone 7 may help apple regain some sales as it seems like it will be a big update for apple fans. Not to mention the new nm process they will use with TMSC promises to allow some insane battery life. So this one will be big just for the battery life alone. Coupled with an amoled screen, thinner, and likely a super fast cpu with the new process.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Actually it's looking like the iPhone 7 will be a pretty small update over the iPhone 6s. The rumors I've heard point to the 2017 being the huge revamp. AMOLED, new glass design, etcetera.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe some of the phones will be cut out, but I doubt Lumia 930 will be removed. Has 2GB of RAM and fully capable Snapdragon CPU.

that wont matter if the coders forget the sd800 exist, even its raw perf wont be able to compensate after a certain point, lets say if they start using h265 as default video decoder

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
that wont matter if the coders forget the sd800 exist, even its raw perf wont be able to compensate after a certain point, lets say if they start using h265 as default video decoder

You got a point here, yet if I really think about it, my phone will be 2 years old at the end of the summer, so the cycle ends for my Lumia 930. Maybe there is reason for the phone to not receive Redstone official.

My problem is that what is on the market now (even the Elite X3) does not satisfy me. My concerns are regarding build quality, my Lumia 930 was and is a tank, the phone doesn't bend, the screen doesn't shatter from drops, hats off to the Nokia team for this!
I saw a bend test with Lumia 950, jesus, you can almost fold it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99