Do you need the Skype app if you have Messaging+Skype

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 comes with Messenging+Skype - which I really like.

Do you need the full-blown Skype app, too, or can you just uninstall that?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope, they pretty much do the same thing....which is what makes Microsoft's forever changing directions for skype all the more confusing....one minute they're pushing the app, then they decide to go the Apple/Facetime route and hard bake it into Windows 10 (hence the messaging + skype setup we've all just started getting used to), but in the past month they've announced that they're all but abandoning the baked in version in favour of going all in with an app that'll have to be downloaded from the store. It would be super awesome if MS would lay a plan, hatch the plan and give said plan a bit of time to gather some momentum....but that would be waaaay too simple

anon(5588853)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If you are comfortable to use Messaging + Skype you can delete Skype phone application.
Only one feature is missing from Messaging + Skype is to make a call from Skype to any landline/cell number.
In this case you need Skype phone app or use Skype for web or Skype to go number.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I dislike the integration.
If there is anything for me that is unlikable about WM10 it's the melding of Skype into text messaging.

In my opinion this is a major screw up on the Microsoft end..
Shows how lost they are.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I dislike the integration.
If there is anything for me that is unlikable about WM10 it's the melding of Skype into text messaging.

In my opinion this is a major screw up on the Microsoft end..
Shows how lost they are.

First thing I make everytime is loggin out skype video to disable skype in Messages

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the "Apps" messaging and stuff on two tablets without Skype installed so to the OP you do not need Skype to use messaging etc.

I do have the desktop program on my desktop as it allows me to "manage" Skype.

To the others, I am at a complete loss to understand what MS have done with Skype over the last year or so, so badly managed and so badly communicated, you have the staffers over on the Skype forums just shutting up shop when anyone asks an "Awkward" question, shambolic.

I don't know who is to blame, is it MS? is it the management at Skype? maybe a combination of the two, but if they don't get their act together soon they will have managed to kill off a brand that had complete dominance.

I decided to use Skype for my family communicate and make things simple for my wife, but within weeks it was laughable, "Well no you can't view pictures on this device, to do that you need the other version", but that doesn't work on that one but you can't use the app as they are killing it off, and so it went on.

Come on MS, make it work, make it easy to kill dead accounts and take back ownership of hacked ones that doesn't count on you remembering when you first signed up for Skype (to the month for something you may not have used for several years), you have to tighten up on spam and then give people the choice of an app or full Skype.

Please.....................

Before it really is to late.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos