Not open for further replies.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
re: Small Blog Claims "MS Shutting Down W10 Mobile"

Yes they are, that's why they're testing new builds of W10M on a regular basis (Threshold and Redstone) and adding new features all the time. Of course they're shutting down the mobile division...

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Not a very well written article, but not totally untrue either.
Phones are not Microsoft's focus at the moment, but you need to understand that Windows phone is basically just a small screen Windows 10 computer now.....and the form factor isn't going away.....so while Windows phone may be dead, the future is Windows 10, and it is very much alive......Mobile is, and will continue to be, an extremely important part of computing.....and Microsoft knows this.....Windows 10 M is not going away.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

"Shut Down The Divisions" is not mentioned outside the title.

The best thing about the Blog was it gave me more trackers to block in Ghostery.

Your title edited for clarity.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well regardless of validity, anyone can go on the internet and say what they please.

I'd start worrying if we start seeing those large outfits picking up on similar "reevaluation" stories.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
More evidence of click bait. Those on these fine boards are aware that big changes are coming, we expect them to happen. The whole W10 transition is causing a wholesale change in the way personal computing, and a users interface with their devices.

There may be an element of truth in the claim in the blog, but not to the extent implied. With Microsoft providing first party devices in various forms i.e. surface and mobile, it may well be advantageous to amalgamate those two research departments, especially as Nokia is no longer the curve ball. There have been many, unconfirmed ( yet ;-) ), reports of a mobile surface device. If you look for something to add weight to that particular rumour, take a glance at the recently announced ZTE device. It's an Android tablet with all the ports you need, LTE built in and, this is the 'headline' (?), a built in projector in a package not much bigger, although thicker, than a 6" device! There was even a mention of the potential for this device to run W10! The tech is arriving.

So, as for Windows Mobile ceasing, maybe there is a nugget of truth, but IMHO, it will morph into something far, far greater than just a phone. The 950 series show proof of concept, with continuum, which although at an embryonic state, it is pretty damned good. I use it a lot when meeting clients, but I can see their faces now if I rock up and just project my 'device' screen on an over head projector screen or a wall.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
There are several clickbait sites written by idiots. REM seems to be one of them. (I saw that article today too ... came in the News app) Some of the others have "automobile" or "auto" in their URLs. They are clickbait minefields. Pay no attention to them.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey look, another clickbait tech site we can add to the blacklist.

Obviously a load of bull. Cross-platform, including mobile is the core of Microsoft's strategy right now.

Exactly. I've just taken to not clicking on junk like this. Don't give these know-nothing, sensationalist "journalists" what they want.

Don't click on the links, and keep on scrolling to real news.

Amen to that.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I did read it, and it is total click bait crap.

MS have admitted that phones aren't their focus this year, and I think it's safe to say, as with the Surface tablets and book that phones will be limited to flagship proof of concept type devices in the future, rather than a big range. That's been a successful formula for Surface, and the UWP does seem to be gathering some traction as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes they are, that's why they're testing new builds of W10M on a regular basis (Threshold and Redstone) and adding new features all the time. Of course they're shutting down the mobile division...

I do not agree with the article either (assuming sarcasm here), but your point about continued development isn't necessarily proof of no impending shutdown. Microsoft is such a large company that the developers working on W10M are probably disconnected from the powers that be. They are going full steam ahead until ordered to do otherwise. After an even such as a board or shareholders meeting, they might get word from the front office to turn out the lights, lock the doors, and go home.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If they were going to poopcan W10M, why did they waste the last year trying to make it usable. 12 months ago would have been the time to pull the plug. No turning back now....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Small Blog Claims "MS Shutting Down W10 Mobile"

I do not agree with the article either (assuming sarcasm here), but your point about continued development isn't necessarily proof of no impending shutdown. Microsoft is such a large company that the developers working on W10M are probably disconnected from the powers that be. They are going full steam ahead until ordered to do otherwise. After an even such as a board or shareholders meeting, they might get word from the front office to turn out the lights, lock the doors, and go home.

There's nothing wrong with your point, but the article's title is not "Microsoft To Shut Down W10M". That may be the title of this thread, but the article mentions MS shutting down the entire mobile division, which is distinct from shutting down W10M and beyond FUD.

The article's author simply can't distinguish between working on mobile and working on W10M, which brings me to my often used mantra on this site:

"those two aren't the same things"

If W10M goes away (which is technically possible), then something else (with UWP compatibility) will replace it, and whoever works on that will be part of the mobile division.

In a nutshell:

Will W10M go away? Maybe, but that's very unlikely to happen before 2017.
Will MS' mobile division go away? Nope. Not unless Windows overall becomes completely meaningless as an OS.
Will the article's author go away? I really hope so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium