Hello,

I keep seeing articles on other sites about ms shutting down its mobile division. Please comment on these types of trouble articles and set everyone straight. I trust articles I read oh your site. Here is the link to one and its headline. Thanks.

RIP Windows 10 Mobile OS, RIP Windows Phone : Microsoft To Shut Down The Divisions
    RIP Windows 10 Mobile OS, RIP Windows Phone : Microsoft To Shut Down The Divisions ? - The REM

jmautobot
    04-20-2016 09:24 AM
    Yes they are, that's why they're testing new builds of W10M on a regular basis (Threshold and Redstone) and adding new features all the time. Of course they're shutting down the mobile division...
    04-20-2016 09:40 AM
    Not a very well written article, but not totally untrue either.
    Phones are not Microsoft's focus at the moment, but you need to understand that Windows phone is basically just a small screen Windows 10 computer now.....and the form factor isn't going away.....so while Windows phone may be dead, the future is Windows 10, and it is very much alive......Mobile is, and will continue to be, an extremely important part of computing.....and Microsoft knows this.....Windows 10 M is not going away.

Sent from mTalk
    Krystianpants likes this.
    04-20-2016 09:43 AM
    "Shut Down The Divisions" is not mentioned outside the title.

The best thing about the Blog was it gave me more trackers to block in Ghostery.

Your title edited for clarity.
    04-20-2016 10:39 AM
    Well regardless of validity, anyone can go on the internet and say what they please.

I'd start worrying if we start seeing those large outfits picking up on similar "reevaluation" stories.
    04-20-2016 10:45 AM
    More evidence of click bait. Those on these fine boards are aware that big changes are coming, we expect them to happen. The whole W10 transition is causing a wholesale change in the way personal computing, and a users interface with their devices.

There may be an element of truth in the claim in the blog, but not to the extent implied. With Microsoft providing first party devices in various forms i.e. surface and mobile, it may well be advantageous to amalgamate those two research departments, especially as Nokia is no longer the curve ball. There have been many, unconfirmed ( yet ;-) ), reports of a mobile surface device. If you look for something to add weight to that particular rumour, take a glance at the recently announced ZTE device. It's an Android tablet with all the ports you need, LTE built in and, this is the 'headline' (?), a built in projector in a package not much bigger, although thicker, than a 6" device! There was even a mention of the potential for this device to run W10! The tech is arriving.

So, as for Windows Mobile ceasing, maybe there is a nugget of truth, but IMHO, it will morph into something far, far greater than just a phone. The 950 series show proof of concept, with continuum, which although at an embryonic state, it is pretty damned good. I use it a lot when meeting clients, but I can see their faces now if I rock up and just project my 'device' screen on an over head projector screen or a wall.
    04-20-2016 11:03 AM
    There are several clickbait sites written by idiots. REM seems to be one of them. (I saw that article today too ... came in the News app) Some of the others have "automobile" or "auto" in their URLs. They are clickbait minefields. Pay no attention to them.
    RumoredNow and Maurizio Troso like this.
    04-21-2016 10:23 AM
    More evidence of click bait.
    Exactly. I've just taken to not clicking on junk like this. Don't give these know-nothing, sensationalist "journalists" what they want.

Don't click on the links, and keep on scrolling to real news.
    RumoredNow and Zeem Frostmaw like this.
    04-21-2016 10:43 AM
    Exactly. I've just taken to not clicking on junk like this. Don't give these know-nothing, sensationalist "journalists" what they want.

Ok Mods, better shutting off maybe before someone newbie falls in the trap... :(
    04-21-2016 10:57 AM
    Hey look, another clickbait tech site we can add to the blacklist.

Obviously a load of bull. Cross-platform, including mobile is the core of Microsoft's strategy right now.

Amen to that.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-21-2016 11:56 AM
    Oh come on stop giving these people traffic to earn money. This is obviously a method of provoking people in order to gain more traffic.
    RumoredNow and rusty502 like this.
    04-21-2016 12:24 PM
    That article gave me cancer 💀
    04-21-2016 12:27 PM
    Didn't even need to look at it to know it was crap, still haven't looked at it.
    Zeem Frostmaw and RumoredNow like this.
    04-21-2016 02:12 PM
    I did read it, and it is total click bait crap.

MS have admitted that phones aren't their focus this year, and I think it's safe to say, as with the Surface tablets and book that phones will be limited to flagship proof of concept type devices in the future, rather than a big range. That's been a successful formula for Surface, and the UWP does seem to be gathering some traction as well.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-21-2016 02:16 PM
    Yes they are, that's why they're testing new builds of W10M on a regular basis (Threshold and Redstone) and adding new features all the time. Of course they're shutting down the mobile division...
    I do not agree with the article either (assuming sarcasm here), but your point about continued development isn't necessarily proof of no impending shutdown. Microsoft is such a large company that the developers working on W10M are probably disconnected from the powers that be. They are going full steam ahead until ordered to do otherwise. After an even such as a board or shareholders meeting, they might get word from the front office to turn out the lights, lock the doors, and go home.
    04-21-2016 02:53 PM
    MS have been plugging away at mobile for nearly 20 years. I do not see them stopping yet.
    RumoredNow and Zeem Frostmaw like this.
    04-21-2016 03:13 PM
    If they were going to poopcan W10M, why did they waste the last year trying to make it usable. 12 months ago would have been the time to pull the plug. No turning back now....
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    04-21-2016 10:12 PM
    Nobody cares what a pro-duopoly hipster ***** says about a platform they don't use. Except those who do are feeding trolls.

Stop it.
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    04-21-2016 11:09 PM
    I do not agree with the article either (assuming sarcasm here), but your point about continued development isn't necessarily proof of no impending shutdown. Microsoft is such a large company that the developers working on W10M are probably disconnected from the powers that be. They are going full steam ahead until ordered to do otherwise. After an even such as a board or shareholders meeting, they might get word from the front office to turn out the lights, lock the doors, and go home.
    There's nothing wrong with your point, but the article's title is not "Microsoft To Shut Down W10M". That may be the title of this thread, but the article mentions MS shutting down the entire mobile division, which is distinct from shutting down W10M and beyond FUD.

The article's author simply can't distinguish between working on mobile and working on W10M, which brings me to my often used mantra on this site:

"those two aren't the same things"

If W10M goes away (which is technically possible), then something else (with UWP compatibility) will replace it, and whoever works on that will be part of the mobile division.

In a nutshell:

Will W10M go away? Maybe, but that's very unlikely to happen before 2017.
    Will MS' mobile division go away? Nope. Not unless Windows overall becomes completely meaningless as an OS.
    Will the article's author go away? I really hope so.
    Last edited by a5cent; 04-22-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-22-2016 09:52 AM
    It's on the internet, it must be true!
    04-22-2016 12:06 PM
    Fanboy bloodlust to see everything MS fail. Sony fanboys are the same thing always stirring up rumors the Xbox division is getting sold and shut down.

Some people are such fanboys of other products they want competing products to not even exist.
    04-22-2016 12:14 PM
    Well, sales were really awful last quarter and this quarter is going to be even worse. Probably W10M will fall into fourth place behind Tizen. I don't know if there is a path forward from here.
    04-22-2016 01:10 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile will run on more tha n just phones.
    04-23-2016 01:30 AM
    Since no reliable sources other than this small blog are making these claims, this thread has run its course.
    Guytronic, a5cent, speccy and 1 others like this.
    04-23-2016 01:37 AM