Voila'! Messages are back!

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
About 20 minutes ago ALL my lost messages miraculously re-appeared!

Will the normal backup settings eliminate my depending on MS for restoring them?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Messages are backed up differently I think, so no.

It has been flaky recently but hopefully will stabilize. Messages are there but some bugs have been causing issues.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Messages are backed up differently I think, so no.

It has been flaky recently but hopefully will stabilize. Messages are there but some bugs have been causing issues.

Yeah I never got my SMS' back. I get SOME if I roll back to 8.1 but on 10 nothing.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Ha ha ha! Isn't there an app on the store that can put your SMS' from the SD card?

Sure, Contacts + Messages puts them on SD, so I could looking for that file..
maybe we are lucky, that's a simple plain text file, so I can merge exported text file of backupped sms, and I got back a 15 thousand sms file back mmmm :D

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Ha ha ha! Isn't there an app on the store that can put your SMS' from the SD card?

Ok, there are news for now...
I let my pc downloading sms for hours (so slooow), and app stops to 2015 October messages.
I found everything since my first Lumia switch on.
I didn't anything on 2015 November, I got my old faithfull 520 as always in release ring for catching threshold builds

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I let my pc downloading sms for hours (so slooow), and app stops to 2015 October messages.
I didn't anything on 2015 November, I got my old faithfull 520 as always in release ring for catching threshold builds

I'm definitely going to try it. I just hope you figure out how to import them back ha ha!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Mine took a few minutes to download them on the app, though up to December 2015. Maybe you had so many messages? Mine go back 2 and half years, maybe 2000 per year?

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The really strange thing is that my PC on 14328 has successfully sync'd/downloaded all TXTs going really far back in time.. but my phones on the same build do not. They only show "nothing" (1520) or they show those TXTs I have since I realized that I apparently LOST texts since 3/19/2016 (around 4/14/2016 -- this is on my 950XL).

I'm a tiny bit surprised by the apparent inconsistency here, but I realize this is all still very new in its development/release cycle. So I'll try to be patient and see if the phones sync up with what is on the PC.

In the meantime: Sending/receiving texts via the PC app is quite a neat feature!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm the author of the "sms sync is incomplete" feedback in Feedback Hub. I've just read the comments (394 upvotes FTW ^^), and one guy says that when he has added his MSA account as an Exchange hotmail account, then boom, all messages were back in a snap. I haven't succeeded in adding my outlook.com account (MSA) as an extra hotmail exchange one so I can't test it.
535 and PC (both on Insider Fast) are showing "nothing". They have been disconnected from my MSA, then reconnected (so that PC can see the 535 in options).

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm the author of the "sms sync is incomplete" feedback in Feedback Hub. I've just read the comments (394 upvotes FTW ^^)
Awesome! That's good stuff.. now if only they would actually FIX this problem of ours...

...one guy says that when he has added his MSA account as an Exchange hotmail account, then boom, all messages were back in a snap.
Whoever said this was misleading you. You cannot add the same account to the same phone using a different method. Like yourself, I tried this despite the seeming silliness of the idea (hey, if it really DOES work and fixes the issue, then why not...) and the phone complained stating that I could not add an "Exchange" account for an account that already exists on my phone. Oh well.. Nice thought, though!

Note: I did manage to add the account to the Outlook Mail client on the phone.. but that didn't seem to matter. :)

Last edited:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually he says adding it as a hotmail account. I've tried with an alias, but then, is it the 2FA or something else, it doesn't sync.

Here's the comment : wp_ss_20160422_0001.png

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Strangely, after using Windows Phone Message Backup app, my SMS started syncing back to my phone!! It's a Festivus miracle!

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
"I added my ms outlook.com account as a Hotmail exchange account" -- see, that's not really clear. As a test, I created an alias on my @live.com account (which I use as my phone's main Microsoft Account). I then signed into Messaging Everywhere on the 1520 with the alias@outlook.com account. It challenged me for 2FA code from my cell, which I successfully put in and the app just sat there without syncing any messages again

Otherwise, when you add an account to the phone, you do have the option to add an Exchange/O365 account to your phone and that can/will take your Outlook.com email address and password as a set of logon credentials without a problem (unless the account is already registered as the phone's Microsoft Account -- then it complains that you cannot register the account due to it already existing on the phone).

So far: no dice on my attempts to work around this problem (though that workaround "sounds" like it makes sense..

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
And that Jon responds to a Rijav who never tipped such a process ; the only Rijav commenting on my feedback says some exchange is needed with a given contact to see its thread restored (exchange as sharing a conversation, and not the Exchange protocol) o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo