How install W10 on Lumia 830 without Carrier Upgrade? And it is stable?

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
My carrier (TELCEL, M?xico) seems have forgottem my Lumia 830, no updates since a year I think, not even the W8.1 Updates, my phone is stuck at:
OS version: 8.10.14157.200
There is any way I can get Windows 10 Mobile without carrier? Maybe Windows Insider Slow Ring?

But it is my primary and ONLY phone, is it stable?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Jump onto the Windows Insider program and get onto the Release Preview ring. It's basically production (official releases) except you might get the official releases a week or so before everybody else. It's just as stable, really, as production. I believe once you upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile you can also move to production and only get official releases when everybody else does. I can share more details if you need it.

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Please! I Know what Windows Insider is and what slow and fast ring is, but I didn't know these options of "release preview" or "production" options exist. Also IDK how to be part of Window Insider, what do I need and how?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Please! I Know what Windows Insider is and what slow and fast ring is, but I didn't know these options of "release preview" or "production" options exist. Also IDK how to be part of Window Inider, what do I need and how?
Alright allow me to help you out.
1). Navigate to the Windows Store and search for "Windows Insider."
2). Windows Insider will have a purple background, with a white phone and key. Download it.
3). You'll want to get on a PC and go to https://insider.windows.com/ to register as a Windows Insider. There's no cost of any kind, it's just like setting up a Microsoft Account. In fact, you'll be using your Microsoft Account. Just click the big purple "Get Started" button to, ah, get started.
4). Once you've done that, go back to Windows Insider on your phone and make sure you're signed in with the Microsoft Account you used to become an Insider. If you're not than tap "sign in with a different account."
5). Now you'll need to hit "Get preview builds" near the center of the screen. This will bring up a "enroll" page with the list of rings. You should see "Insider Slow", "Insider Fast", "Insider Release Preview", and possibly "Production" (I doubt you'll see this one as you're still on Windows Phone 8.1 so don't worry about it if it's not there). Tap "Insider Release Preview" to highlight it than tap the arrow at the bottom of the screen.
6). This will bring up a "confirm" screen warning you that you might be installing dangerous and experimental software. As you've chosen Release Preview this really doesn't apply to you. Tap "accept" and move on. Your phone should now say "Configuring device..." and reboot.
7). Once your device comes back on navigate to Settings>Update and check for updates. You'll probably install a configuration update first. Just keep updating, checking for updates, repeat. You'll likely have three updates. Configuration, initial Windows 10 Mobile update, than another update to get you to the latest version. I suggest not touching anything until you've gotten to the latest Windows 10 Mobile update as early updates are more buggy.
8). Make sure all your apps are updated by going to the Windows Store before you do anything. Many of the apps will likely look very rough before they've been updated. They might not even work properly.
10). Set up your phone and enjoy Windows 10 Mobile.

If you need any more information let me know. Remember that your experience may differ. You may not have more than one update, and immediately jump to the latest Windows 10 Mobile update (.218) and your apps may be a more recent version. I'm not certain on that, as updates have been released since the last time I updated a phone. If you want to check your phone's software version go to Settings>System>About and make sure you're on the latest version (again .218).
Another thing: I personally suggest you factory reset your phone after you've finished updating to Windows 10 Mobile as this will likely provide a smoother experience and less growing pains but it's completely up to you and your experience should be just fine without a factory reset.

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Little question, if the first update take me to the lastest WP8.1 update before W10 mobile, can I stay there without problems?
I mean, can I stay there for a few months (till cortana is available in my country in the next final build of 10 Mobile?)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Uhhhh....I actually would've suggested you to flash the RM-985 Canadian CV ROM or the LTA MX 7R ROM, both of them are on a higher firmware version. In fact, the 7R ROM already received the official WM10 OTA. But since you're asking about Windows Insider I'm not sure whether you would be comfortable with the flashing process.

For now, follow Zachary's instructions and get on the latest 10586.218 OS. And you would directly get WM10, no intermediate WP8.1 updates.

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I followed those instructions and as Zachary told me, I recive 3 upates (1. to WP8.1 lastest version, 2. to windows 10, 3. to the more recent final version of W10)

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! I finally did the update and I'm happy if "production" option for now (a little few bugs with lockscreen and groove, but fine)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon