Unlinking gmail account from windows/hotmail account - WTH!!!

sunil79

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just updated my Lumia 640 LTE to windows 10 (Revision .218), but im facing a problem and it is driving me crazy! :grincry:It?s linked my hotmail and my gmail (without my asking i hasten to add).

Basically I have an old hotmail.com account/inbox which is what i use for my windows phone account/set up, i also have gmail account which is my day to day email account.

On 8.1 it treated them separately, notifications were separate etc etc, no problems basically. But now on W10 it's done its unified inbox, but I did not want to merge my emails/notifications, it also causes duplication as i want/have a separate tile for my gmail.

I did some reading on other threads and have attempted to resolve this, but this is what is happening for me:

I open up the mail app -> click on settings (...) -> click on manage accounts

There is no ?unlink? option on this page, there is however a ?link inboxes? button, if i click on that
I am presented with:

?Choose inboxes to link?
[X] Outlook ? me@hotmail.com
[X] Gmail ? me@gmail.com
[Save] [Cancel]

There is no unlink option on this screen, and if i un tick the one or both boxes i get the message
?You need to select at least two accounts to create a linked inbox?

So i have no way of unlinking!!!!! Can someone point me on how to rectify this please before i throw my lumia out the window!! :angry::angry:

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
If you go to mail app -> settings -> Manage Accounts and then click on the words "Linked Inbox", you will see a link you can click labelled "Unlink inboxes".

sunil79

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
If you go to mail app -> settings -> Manage Accounts and then click on the words "Linked Inbox", you will see a link you can click labelled "Unlink inboxes".

Thanks for your reply Kerry, but that is my problem, i cannot see the word "unlink" anywhere! :confused::straight::unhappysweat:

Here are my screen shots of my settings pages, am i being really dumb or is it just not there?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13055525_10154071638355586_7329077535433939_n.jpg?oh=0291860b19979ffaa80042ec2ca01865&oe=57B40576

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13051579_10154071638380586_6213297768671178422_n.jpg?oh=c61488ea62cb93d235113099c9fa0399&oe=577A8E8A

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/13015449_10154071638360586_6300416583706885705_n.jpg?oh=8e75a3c6a5d256bbad60469c8279ea27&oe=57BF0E5D

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

According to your screenshots, your inboxes are not linked (in the Outlook Mail app sense), they are just both set up in Outlook mail. Sorry to say, I don't know if you can "remove" the Hotmail account from the Outlook mail app without deleting it entirely (which you would not want to do).

sunil79

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
According to your screenshots, your inboxes are not linked (in the Outlook Mail app sense), they are just both set up in Outlook mail. Sorry to say, I don't know if you can "remove" the Hotmail account from the Outlook mail app without deleting it entirely (which you would not want to do).

Ah ok... so i need to log into outlook.com then? I did actually try that earlier and did remove the gmail "alias" earlier to try and rectify this.

The image with the tick boxes un-checked was purely to show what happens when you do actually uncheck them, i.e. it shows that message "you need to select at least two accounts to create a link box" and hides the save button! I was hoping that unchecking these would remove the "link"? Or am i looking at this all wrong?

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
No need to go to Outlook.com. Your screenshot shows that you have setup a hotmail and gmail account and that they are not "linked" to be shown/presented as if it is a single inbox. They are shown in one tile because that is how the default setup is. There is no duplication of gmail account inbox, unless previously you set your account at Outlook.com to check your gmail account.
If you open the mail app on your phone, on the top left corner you will see a hamburger icon. Tap that icon and you will see a list of your email account. There should be a different entry for Hotmail & Gmail. On the Gmail account long tap the Inbox and you will see option to pin to start. Tap that. That should separate your Gmail inbox notification and shortcut to open Gmail inbox. That is all there is to do.
Good luck & let us know if it fixes your prolem.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
No need to go to Outlook.com. Your screenshot shows that you have setup a hotmail and gmail account and that they are not "linked" to be shown/presented as if it is a single inbox. They are shown in one tile because that is how the default setup is. There is no duplication of gmail account inbox, unless previously you set your account at Outlook.com to check your gmail account.
If you open the mail app on your phone, on the top left corner you will see a hamburger icon. Tap that icon and you will see a list of your email account. There should be a different entry for Hotmail & Gmail. On the Gmail account long tap the Inbox and you will see option to pin to start. Tap that. That should separate your Gmail inbox notification and shortcut to open Gmail inbox. That is all there is to do.
Good luck & let us know if it fixes your prolem.

I was unable to undo my linked email accounts (I have 3 of them) until I read your post. There are TOO MANY of these gotchas, IMHO!!
How the heck did you figure it out?
Also, I had a heck of a time getting my email notifications until I noticed that there are TWO settings in different places to do so. Another darn gotcha!!!!
Anyway, enough ranting.....thanks muchly for the info :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss