The app gaps between android n w10 really hurting.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The app gap is different for every individual. Personally speaking, I cant think of any app on Android/iPhone that I want on my Windows Phone. Therefore, for me, there is no app gap.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 830 on W10, but my daily driver is now an S7 Edge.

The "app gap" isn't a huge deal for me but Snapchat is a big one. The other is the inability to make calls/video calls from the Messenger app.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 830 on W10, but my daily driver is now an S7 Edge.

The "app gap" isn't a huge deal for me but Snapchat is a big one. The other is the inability to make calls/video calls from the Messenger app.
That's the thing, the app gap isn't about how many apps there are, but whether an app you want or need is either available or has the same functionality.

If it's just an app you want then it may be no big deal and you can live without it, but if it's an app you do actually need then it does become a problem.

One way around this of course is to simply have two devices, but that can be a bit inconvenient if you need to use the app(s) while actually mobile.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing, the app gap isn't about how many apps there are, but whether an app you want or need is either available or has the same functionality.

If it's just an app you want then it may be no big deal and you can live without it, but if it's an app you do actually need then it does become a problem.

One way around this of course is to simply have two devices, but that can be a bit inconvenient if you need to use the app(s) while actually mobile.

That's how I feel, it's not about the number of apps now but rather W10M having the apps that a user wants/needs. It's not really a problem for me as I have all the apps I need.

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Everybody is like "I have all the apps I need except these 1-2 apps which is fine" and if you gather all those 1-2 apps in the comments then it becomes a massive app gap :)

App gap is there we shouldn't deny it, but if Microsoft keeps W10M up-to-date and keeps releasing hardware (even though they release fewer hardware), platform will gain market share slowly but surely. So my guess is that if Microsoft keeps updating the OS and keeps releasing hardware then we will have a quite comprehensive store in 2-3 years.

My only concern is the shareholders. If they put pressure on Satya then he might have to close down Mobile department (at least hardware department). And the day Microsoft closes down the mobile hardware department I am out of here because no OEM can make as quality hardware as Microsoft.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Me too! But that day came when I bought my 950xl. Before that, I had a Blackberry Z30. Talk about app gap...sheesh! Windows store is like a Super Walmart in comparison to the Blackberry World store, lol.
To be fair that's like moving from the middle of nowhere, where you were lucky if you even had a village store, to another larger village where you now have 3 stores, while everyone else has been moving back to the City. Nothing wrong with that of course :grin:

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use following apps regularly on my 640XL running W10 build .218

1. 6tag (instagram equivalent)- works perfectly fine, sometimes slow to launch
2. Amazon shopping app
3. Amazon kindle app
4. evernote
5. Facebook
6.Twitter
7. Flipboard
8. Bank apps - ICICI, HDFC
9. Office lens
10. MS office ( word, excel, ppt)
11. One drive, one note
12. Mails ( exchange+ outlook+ gmail)
13. Maps - Native WP10 Maps

I am not facing any issues. Battery life is solid.
If someone wants to use more than 15-18 apps everyday, they need to get a life !!!! :p

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use following apps regularly on my 640XL running W10 build .218

1. 6tag (instagram equivalent)- works perfectly fine, sometimes slow to launch
2. Amazon shopping app
3. Amazon kindle app
4. evernote
5. Facebook
6.Twitter
7. Flipboard
8. Bank apps - ICICI, HDFC
9. Office lens
10. MS office ( word, excel, ppt)
11. One drive, one note
12. Mails ( exchange+ outlook+ gmail)
13. Maps - Native WP10 Maps

I am not facing any issues. Battery life is solid.
If someone wants to use more than 15-18 apps everyday, they need to get a life !!!! :p

It's easy to dismiss the app gap as it is to blow it out of proportion, but take a look...

Facebook is vastly inferior to other OSes in speed and sometimes features.
I'm missing my bank app: Navy Federal.
Snapchat is missing entirely, FB Messenger hasn't seen a feature update in who-knows-how-long.

Sure I'll live, but my habits probably don't make sense to an outsider. Like, why would this guy want to use a phone running a beta-quality OS (its solid but has issues still) without a couple useful apps when it wasn't too long ago that he was using an iPhone/Galaxy?

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's easy to dismiss the app gap as it is to blow it out of proportion, but take a look...

Facebook is vastly inferior to other OSes in speed and sometimes features.
I'm missing my bank app: Navy Federal.
Snapchat is missing entirely, FB Messenger hasn't seen a feature update in who-knows-how-long.

Sure I'll live, but my habits probably don't make sense to an outsider. Like, why would this guy want to use a phone running a beta-quality OS (its solid but has issues still) without a couple useful apps when it wasn't too long ago that he was using an iPhone/Galaxy?

Agree, but again it comes to personal choice.
I also have a Samsung note 4 which i use occasionally - unexplained heatups, poor signal reception, sudden battery drains, mobile heating up when on long calls are some of the issues which makes me hate it & i really don't care how many gigs of RAM or how many cores of CPU it has. I have also used iphones ( 5, 5s, 6+), nexus 6 etc..but i keep coming back to WP.
As per me, a phone should do the basic tasks of calls/texts/mails etc flawlessly which Lumia does. I am not that much into FB, snapchat etc.
I use twitter and 6tag on a regular basis and they work fine . ( LinkedIn app sucks BIG time on WP, i would love to get google maps-offical app on WP))
These are just my personal views :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just bring google apps and services and everyone will follow
As simple as that

Not necessarily, most users who rely on Google Services are pretty deep into the ecosystem and have a lot of $$$ tied up in hardware.

Changing platforms can be very expensive even if all Apps/Services are equal.

Entrenchment is the problem and one that Microsoft has yet to overcome in the pocket-sized-mobile arena (screens 6" and under) while they have made great progress in 7" to 14" screens. In fact the 11" - 14" arena was in dispute when netbooks first took off, but Microsoft repelled an incursion from Linux in that area... And they have also made great progress vs Android and iOS in the tablet area through development of the newest weapon, the 2-in-1 or convertible.

It's very closely analogous to trench warfare. Little ground is gained on a short term basis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb