The app gaps between android n w10 really hurting.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just bring google apps and services and everyone will follow
As simple as that

Not necessarily, most users who rely on Google Services are pretty deep into the ecosystem and have a lot of $$$ tied up in hardware.

Changing platforms can be very expensive even if all Apps/Services are equal.

Entrenchment is the problem and one that Microsoft has yet to overcome in the pocket-sized-mobile arena (screens 6" and under) while they have made great progress in 7" to 14" screens. In fact the 11" - 14" arena was in dispute when netbooks first took off, but Microsoft repelled an incursion from Linux in that area... And they have also made great progress vs Android and iOS in the tablet area through development of the newest weapon, the 2-in-1 or convertible.

It's very closely analogous to trench warfare. Little ground is gained on a short term basis.

I think another missing link beside Google is Amazon.

Amazon Prime members get Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music, and Amazon Prime Photos in addition to 2-day free shipping. There aren't any apps for Windows 10 Mobile for these Amazon services.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I think another missing link beside Google is Amazon.

Amazon Prime members get Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music, and Amazon Prime Photos in addition to 2-day free shipping. There aren't any apps for Windows 10 Mobile for these Amazon services.

I have to think that Amazon, despite having their own platform, will develop UWP apps. When it's all of Windows and XBox and not just WM it's too big a market for them to ignore IMO.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to think that Amazon, despite having their own platform, will develop UWP apps. When it's all of Windows and XBox and not just WM it's too big a market for them to ignore IMO.

Kind of annoying that there is an Amazon video app for roku and not windows anything.

nizam ak

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Off topic

Fb app to is no where near ios/droid.i can't even share a post toa grp.yes we can decide who sees the post it that's what groups are for.U can't xpect to classify allur frndz.even pics from grp post don't display only the comments do.
That's really half baked,hav tried both nd not sure what's so sp abt beta
Web portal is better with the pin login nd like options

Dom S

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Sure there are apps on Windows phone that suit the experience. But it's insane how big the gap is. I can almost turn my android into a windows phone if I wanted. Windows phone I can't really do anything, except "windows stuff"

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the day when this app gap will end.,

How are you waiting? Are you a patient Windows Phone user or are you watching from the comfort of a rival platform, hoping this situation will suddenly change? In the end, you should do what's best for your needs now and be happy with your choices. I can't see the app gap being closed anytime soon and actually, it's no longer the point anymore. That battle has long since been lost. UWP apps are coming but this will take time. Consider that the vast majority of the Windows 10 userbase is using the PC form factor with a keyboard and mouse, not touch-screen phones/tablets so there's no immediate need to cater for a relatively small mobile/tablet PC market unless your app or service relies on a touch-enabled screen to be useful/supportable in the first place.

On my Windows 10 PC, I use Facebook using the web browser and a keyboard+mouse. I very rarely touch the modern app version which is just not as useful. And this is the point, until Windows 10 devices reach critical mass on touch-screen form factors, why would FB spend as much time/effort bringing a quality UWP app when most people who are running Windows 10 are PC keyboard+mouse users who are perfectly happy with the browser version?

It's a no-brainer for Android and IOS which is largely consumed by people on touch-enabled screens and where the majority of the market for these types of apps exist currently.

Dom S

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes I've been waiting patiently for 4 years. I'm on my second windows phone now, Nokia Lumia 830 with windows 10 preview. I also have an android device as my main phone phone. I constantly compare the two device features and app stores.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I miss an updated Waze most of all on W10M. I occasional give Waze grief via Twitter and ask them when the Waze Windows phone app will be updated. Usually, the answer is "no plans to do so".

So, I tweeted this to them today "Please update your Windows phone app for Windows 10 Mobile. Even better, make a UWP app that Windows tablet owners can use too!". Their reply? "We are working on it and are thankful for your feedback! Stay tuned!"

Progress? I'm thinking progress!

(Of course, talk is cheap but I want to feel encouraged, so I'm feeling encouraged.)

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
The whole 'app' thing is very subjective. I don't use facebook, I have real friends I talk to down the pub, there's only so many motivational kitten pictures I can take and only so many if you don't pass this message on you'll have a bad day, or if you do pass it on, the seed of your loins will be fruitful in the belly of your woman'. Arrrggghh My kids use facebook, but I can't for the life of me see the attraction. Maybe I'm from the wrong generation. My daughter says, 'I've got 200 friends', I try and explain what an acquaintance is, but she must duck because it goes straight over her head...

Anyway, the apps I use are all in the store. If they aren't, I use the online one.

My biggest issue with Google and Apple, with regards to the purported number of apps, is the amount of duplicates, or shall we say, infringements of the original developers 'intellectual property rights'.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The whole 'app' thing is very subjective. I don't use facebook, I have real friends I talk to down the pub, there's only so many motivational kitten pictures I can take and only so many if you don't pass this message on you'll have a bad day, or if you do pass it on, the seed of your loins will be fruitful in the belly of your woman'. Arrrggghh My kids use facebook, but I can't for the life of me see the attraction. Maybe I'm from the wrong generation. My daughter says, 'I've got 200 friends', I try and explain what an acquaintance is, but she must duck because it goes straight over her head...

Anyway, the apps I use are all in the store. If they aren't, I use the online one.

My biggest issue with Google and Apple, with regards to the purported number of apps, is the amount of duplicates, or shall we say, infringements of the original developers 'intellectual property rights'.
I too have often noticed people use the word 'Friend' interchangeably with 'Acquaintance'.

With regards to apps, apart from the obvious culprits such as snapchat etc. I often wonder how much of the reluctance to create a Windows Phone app from some developers/companies was simply due to market share ie just business or whether there was also an under current of a bit of anti Microsoft going on. I don't mean an intense dislike or anything that strong but more a stronger reluctance because well... it's Microsoft and there could of course be various reasons for this.

MobileOperator

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I think windows 10 has made things easy for developers to code apps for windows phone we just have to wait and see how it goes, Figure is not on android, i went to read why its not on Android and the way they explained made me have hope in Windows 10 mobile

Posted via the Windows Central App

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The app gap is different for every individual. Personally speaking, I cant think of any app on Android/iPhone that I want on my Windows Phone. Therefore, for me, there is no app gap.

THIS ! Moreover, If I have the same app on Android device (my company phone) and my Windows Phone, the WP version is simply better (it looks better, more consistent).
But we cannot say about "app gap" in general, it is INDIVIDUAL.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think windows 10 has made things easy for developers to code apps for windows phone we just have to wait and see how it goes, Figure is not on android, i went to read why its not on Android and the way they explained made me have hope in Windows 10 mobile

Posted via the Windows Central App

His reason was that multiple devices made it more difficult to ensure an identical experience across devices. Essentially, he prefers developing for Apple because he has two devices to design for (an iPhone and an iPad). He was concerned about different screen sizes, sound cards, camera lay outs, etc.

Just in the Lumia brand there are generally 3 different phones 5xx, 6xx, and 9xx. Not to mention Samsung, Acer, HP, etc. I imagine the guy is going to have the same reservations to develop for Windows Mobile, even with a UWP because the experience across devices may be different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss