05-06-2016 05:34 PM
80 1234
tools
    My wife and I have been using Lumias for several years, and now I am using a Lumia 640 with W10 Mobile on it. I have talked to a few people about Windows on phones but they just give you a blank stare, and frankly it makes no sense for most people when everyone they know, their entire family, and all their co-workers use Android or an iPhone--in business it is all iPhones everywhere. I work in software support and at work when someone says "phone" they mean iPhone and everyone knows that, because almost all of them are using them. A few geaky types in the more technical departments use Android, but not many. I would guess based on some statistics I see that at least 80% of the people in our industry (a big one) use iPhones, so it makes no sense for anyone to look elsewhere.
    04-27-2016 09:14 AM
    The best thing you can do is buy apps/games. It may sound like not a big issue but user numbers don't always translate to revenue. If you compare iphone to android, iphone developers make more revenue even though android has more users. Xbox users apparently do more purchasing than PS4 users. So even if you have say 200 million users, if a lot of them are making purchases developers see that there is something to this eco system.

So yah, I do my part by making purchases. That's all you really need to do.
    04-27-2016 09:15 AM
    There is a way to make your phone "think" that its a device which can receive RS updates. Search the forums or bing it
    ROBBIE!! :D

Yea I know about it, but that causes bootloops now. In any case I really like 218 on my phones so I isn't complaining
    04-27-2016 11:10 AM
    I told my two cousins about the 950XL/950 deal. They both picked up the deal.
    ven07, libra89 and trha like this.
    04-27-2016 08:14 PM
    since I live in Caribbean
    Which parts are you from? Im from Barbados
    04-27-2016 08:18 PM
    The most recent thing I did to promote it was take photos and share them. I only have a L920, and even that, still takes much better photos than so many other phones around. Having one of the best cameras (in phones) around is a really strong feature of the nokia/MS phones.
    RumoredNow and ven07 like this.
    04-27-2016 09:02 PM
    I've been using my phone in public.
    04-28-2016 06:15 AM
    Which parts are you from? Im from Barbados
    Guyana
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 07:14 AM
    Every time someone asks me to repair their broken iPhone screen I make sure they know that for a mere $30, a fraction of what it will cost to replace that one part, they could have an entirely new phone that in my not so humble opinion works better and is easier to use. If they seem interested, I'll give them a demo of continuum.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 11:14 AM
    Every time someone asks me to repair their broken iPhone screen I make sure they know that for a mere $30, a fraction of what it will cost to replace that one part, they could have an entirely new phone that in my not so humble opinion works better and is easier to use. If they seem interested, I'll give them a demo of continuum.
    Yeah and when I asked the guy in the "We repair ALL cellphones!" place if he could fix the shattered screen on my 1320, he laughed me out of the store.
    04-28-2016 12:15 PM
    Yeah and when I asked the guy in the "We repair ALL cellphones!" place if he could fix the shattered screen on my 1320, he laughed me out of the store.
    To be fair, I've had repair shops say they don't do the screens on some very popularly selling devices mike Nexi. It's shop dependent really.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 01:51 PM
    What have you done today to promote Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile?

I used my L925 with an old version of W10M (10.0.10586.164) on it.

Debating how long to stick with my almost 3yo phone and what my next phone will be. I have even considered dropping out of the smartphone game and going back to a feature phone with a physical dial pad. For real.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 02:29 PM
    How bout MS does some advertising of 950XL?
    04-28-2016 02:34 PM
    I'm interested in seeing how you demo Continuum on a $30 phone.
    libra89 and Bloobed like this.
    04-28-2016 04:28 PM
    Ordered the buy one / get one 950XL/950 for a couple I know. Sold a bunch of 640's to family and friends over the past few months.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 04:31 PM
    What have you done today to promote Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile?

I used my L925 with an old version of W10M (10.0.10586.164) on it.

Debating how long to stick with my almost 3yo phone and what my next phone will be. I have even considered dropping out of the smartphone game and going back to a feature phone with a physical dial pad. For real.
    (apart from quitting the smartphone game)I've done this severally too using my L920. I tell them I've had every upgrade that came to WP OS since WP8.0 without changing my almost 4 years old phone. Also on .164 but will be updating to yesterday's build by next week.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 05:55 PM
    Also, I take pics with my L920 in low light and share on large screens showing them how clear and visible the objects are even in low light conditions.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-28-2016 05:58 PM
    I just showed my wife indirectly how some things are better on W10 Mobile than on her iPhone.
    Just messing about on the Truecaller app on her iPhone, noticed how it can't even show live caller ID? Next, I was showing her the voice recording on my 950Xl - really simple to use. For the life of me though, I couldn't easily figure out how to do this on the iPhone 6 or if it's even possible without some third party hack?
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 05-04-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: cleanup on aisle 5
    04-28-2016 09:08 PM
    I saw a deal on this site yesterday for a battery for the Lumia 640 for $20...Normally, the battery costs potentially more than the entire phone. Such crazy times we live in.

Also, if you are demoing continuum on a $30 Windows Phone, there must be some bait and switch going on.
    libra89 and Varun Rajan like this.
    04-28-2016 09:14 PM
    I always leave my phone open in the table idle at start screen during office lunch and we sometimes end up talking about w10m.

Cant get enough of customizing my w10m start screen and it changes everyday lol
    charlie2128 likes this.
    04-28-2016 09:50 PM
    I just showed my wife indirectly how some things are better on W10 Mobile than on her iPhone.
    Just messing about on the Truecaller app on her iPhone, noticed how it can't even show live caller ID? Next, I was showing her the voice recording on my 950Xl - really simple to use. For the life of me though, I couldn't easily figure out how to do this on the iPhone 6 or if it's even possible without some third party hack?
    I know you WP aren't use to this concept, but non Windows phone user can download 1 of 4000 different voice recorders from any Vendor.
    OR, you can use use the Apple voice recording app Natively installed on the phone in the "extras" folder.
    I think that is 90% of the reason WP user "hate" apple and iPhone, they can't figure out the basics of the phone. They don't want to learn how to use a new OS. or they have some ignorant "company hatred" thing going on. Like MS gives a flying Elf about you. loyalty to any company, unless you work there, is ignorant. MS, Apple, Google etc don't care about a single one of you.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 05-04-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: cleanup on aisle 5
    Bloobed likes this.
    04-28-2016 10:51 PM
    I have started learning programming and made a universal app 'Strawberry Weather'..! And will continue to make more apps. It's my way to promote Windows!
    04-28-2016 10:56 PM
    I'm interested in seeing how you demo Continuum on a $30 phone.
    I did not say that I use a $30 phone. I use a 950XL. But the $30 phone illustrates the great value available for those using more expensive but less capable devices.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-28-2016 11:30 PM
    I think that is 90% of the reason WP user "hate" apple and iPhone, they can't figure out the basics of the phone. They don't want to learn how to use a new OS.
    I see this all the time on every platform. Users banging their head against the wall because they can't make the new OS behave like the old. This goes across all platforms for many users who try something different.

They are called normal users and they show up in all the forums to ask "how" to do stuff. We get them here. "On my Android it was like..." "On my iPhone I could..." "My BB used to..." "When I had a Symbian phone it would just..." I've seen it across every MoNa site.

It's not exclusive to Windows Phone users trying something else by any stretch of the imagination. People have a tendency to become set in their habits. Most who pick up a new platform have an adjustment to make. Some make it, some are too ingrained or under motivated to do the research. Hate sometimes enters into it, but not as often as the inter platform rivalry cheerleaders would have you believe.

I had an iPhone and used it as a daily driver. I figured out everything I needed to know to make it run as I liked. I molded my behavior to fit the OS, not trying to bash the OS into fitting my habits. It still wasn't for me. iOS doesn't fit my usage paradigm. Hate has nothing to do with it.

I've used feature phones, Android, webOS, iOS Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Symbian, Sailfish, Windows Phone. In my arsenal right now I have Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows RT, Android and Firefox OS. These are devices I can pick up and start using in a moment. I taught myself to adapt to the platform I'm looking at. Not every user does that, learns that trick. I've been around a few forums and interacted with users who are having a hard time making a go of it.

Please don't confuse frustration and needing guidance with hate...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 04-29-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: forgot to mention a platform I've used
    04-28-2016 11:43 PM
    I know you WP aren't use to this concept, but non Windows phone user can download 1 of 4000 different voice recorders from any Vendor.
    OR, you can use use the Apple voice recording app Natively installed on the phone in the "extras" folder.
    I think that is 90% of the reason WP user "hate" apple and iPhone, they can't figure out the basics of the phone. They don't want to learn how to use a new OS. or they have some ignorant "company hatred" thing going on. Like MS gives a flying Elf about you. loyalty to any company, unless you work there, is ignorant. MS, Apple, Google etc don't care about a single one of you.
    I think you are missing my point, I'm stating that my wife, a user of iOS since iPhone 4, couldn't find out how to record a phonecall. I didn't spend enough time on it to download any extra apps or whatever.

iPhone for sure is better in other areas and features, but call recording isn't it. On W10 Mobile, it's just a button that appears when in a call - this is what impressed her and something I used to promote W10 Mobile according to this topic.

Truecaller is another example where iOS is lacking due to restrictions in its OS that does not allow it to show live caller ID.

I have Android phones, Windows Phones, Amazon Fire tablets by the way, not some blind fanboy oblivious to features that are better on other OS as some have to assume on here when somebody promotes Windows.
    Last edited by lemonsteveo; 04-29-2016 at 08:11 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-29-2016 02:02 AM
80 1234