05-06-2016 05:34 PM
80 1234
tools
    Use it when out with friends and just let them see how quick and easy texting is on a Windows Mobile. They're always amazed by how different it is. Keep updated with builds.
    04-29-2016 04:36 AM
    Frankly, it is silly to be an evangelist for any software or hardware or manufacturer unless you work for the company and your living depends on it. This is not a religion. Being a Microsofty is no different than being an iSheep or a Gaggler. None of your promotion is going to make one whit of difference in the big picture, unless by some chance you have a high enough profile. Personally, I use what works best for me and I recommend to others what I think works best for them. My family and friends are totally agnostic on technology. In my household we run everything from the latest Mac laptop to Windows 10 on a desktop to Ubuntu on an old desktop to various flavors of older Windows on some laptops and various flavors of Linux on other laptops along with a Kindle, and we have Windows phones, iPhones, and Android phones and some of us use more than one system at the same time. About the only thing we don't use right now is a table since my wife broke hers running W8. We're debating between a Windows, an Android, or an iPad tablet.
    Bittah Pupil, Bloobed and libra89 like this.
    04-29-2016 08:14 AM
    Frankly, it is silly to be an evangelist for any software or hardware or manufacturer unless you work for the company and your living depends on it. This is not a religion. Being a Microsofty is no different than being an iSheep or a Gaggler. None of your promotion is going to make one whit of difference in the big picture, unless by some chance you have a high enough profile. Personally, I use what works best for me and I recommend to others what I think works best for them. My family and friends are totally agnostic on technology. In my household we run everything from the latest Mac laptop to Windows 10 on a desktop to Ubuntu on an old desktop to various flavors of older Windows on some laptops and various flavors of Linux on other laptops along with a Kindle, and we have Windows phones, iPhones, and Android phones and some of us use more than one system at the same time. About the only thing we don't use right now is a table since my wife broke hers running W8. We're debating between a Windows, an Android, or an iPad tablet.
    MS needs to advertise 950 and 950XL. TV commercials, what a concept...
    04-29-2016 09:30 AM
    Years ago when I was younger, had energy, and an active hate of all things iPhone, I would tell everyone. Now really I could not care what others use for a phone, and I will not go out of my way to try and push Windows Phone. However I have found if you quietly change visuals on people they take note and ask questions.
    With my Nokia 1020 it used to be the Camera bump on the Yellow body of the phone that got questions the most. Now it's people who see me often with my Lumia 640 XL as I change the case every so often so the color changes......I often hear..."I thought your phone was white" when I switch to the cyan back with cover.
    I also get a lot of questions if I am sitting having coffee at Timmies using my pen on my phone and my tablet, I think it's the contrast of silver pen and white devices. Add in the sounds of Hearthstone from the tablet and people will ask.

img_0066.jpg
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    04-29-2016 10:23 PM
    Lol other than to convince my friend to buy the Lumia 650, nothing.
    I mean what can one do, on the real ?
    04-30-2016 03:30 PM
    I had prepared a 50 plus-slide PowerPoint presentation on WP for a seminar which I had to conduct in the CS class in my college. Many of my classmates were impressed, particularly by Cortana (I had included some Cortana vs Siri videos ), after the presentation and some even said they'll consider WP while buying a new phone. One of those owns a Lumia 730 now When I had bought my Lumia 830, my friends used to ask whether I liked photography as they thought Nokia==Photography. Whenever me and my friends go for outings, my phone is mostly preferred for clicking pictures.

When people see my Lumia 830, they compliment its looks and ask about its specs. But I have to tell them that it's no more available in the market.

All this made me realize that people don't consider WPs because they believe WP is dead and has no scope for revival.

PS:- My friend, who has a Lumia 730 (mentioned earlier), was still on WP8.1 until he asked me to introduce W10M to him. I walked him through the various changes W10M has over WP8.1. After that he said he'll upgrade to W10M soon.
    04-30-2016 04:40 PM
    I use it
    Player Piano and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-30-2016 05:33 PM
    told a frend to have patience and not to move to another platform. win 10 mobile needs some time to grow. is getting better after every update on our lumia 640's.
    04-30-2016 06:27 PM
    first.. i bought a windows phone.. that made few of my mates buy windows phone.. only one or two use it now anyways..
    still not recommending windows 10 mobile to my friends.. seeing things happening last few days.. might as well.. :-)
    04-30-2016 08:20 PM
    First of all its just a mobile platform. When microsoft's own software division poured more resources into competitive platforms they told that they were a software company and its about profits at the end of the day. Well people should too rather than sticking to one platform people should be able to decide on what is better. If they dont like whats being offered they should choose not to rather than to the whims of the others. After all every damn OEMs are after our pockets not our hearts.

Coming back to the topic, I did vouch for windows phone and most of the broken promises in wp days. But right now the best thing I could do for wp is to not talk of it and wait for ms to pull something off. By my experience and that of many others the early adopters had the worst experience with microsoft's mobile platform. Atleast some people who hadnt gone through that, will believe in ms, when the os actually matures.
    Bloobed likes this.
    04-30-2016 11:49 PM
    I'll do it in a more subtle way.... Take better pictures for posting. Reply faster cos the keyboard is quite efficient.... Or if really push comes to shove, take screen shots of my excel file I'm using and post em... "what do you mean your phone cannot do Excel" (yeah, I know Excel is available on other OS, but 99 friends out of 100 don't have it installed, just saying)
    Last edited by raycpl; 05-01-2016 at 09:55 AM.
    05-01-2016 02:22 AM
    Over the years, I have gotten well over 20-30 people on Windows Phone. The big ones not too long ago is my brother and sister. My brother got a 1520.3 and my sister got a 950. They do both love their phones but, have heard some complaints about the apps. They are not huge app people, so it's not a big deal.

Personally, I am on a LG G4 right(with black leather back in flawless shape) now that I swap with my ICON. My G4 cost me less than $50 used so it's a cheap option for me to play with Android for a while. Don't get me wrong, I love Windows Phone....

I just got so tired of waiting for stuff....Loving tap to pay on Android, something Microsoft has been saying it's been coming for like 2-3 years now..
    libra89 and Kram Sacul like this.
    05-01-2016 10:03 AM
    David, how in the world did you find a G4 for 50 bucks. Please tell me it wasnt just a lucky find, I'd totally be all over it in a minute. True story. Even though we're a Windows only household.

And well, on that note. Ive done a lot of evangelism to no avail, but I have my immediate family firmly on the platform. So I guess that counts. That makes it three other members of the household besides me, mother, sister, and brother in law. On that note, they're all not so big on app crazy so we do just about fine. :) ^_^

-- W
    05-01-2016 01:11 PM
    I try to convince everyone to update to windows 10 and I always show to everyone my surface, but, windows 10 mobile is a complete different approach, I never try to convince any one, and I'll recommend that they buy an android or even an iPhone
    05-01-2016 06:08 PM
    I'll do it in a more subtle way.... Take better pictures for posting. Reply faster cos the keyboard is quite efficient.... Or if really push comes to shove, take screen shots of my excel file I'm using and post em... "what do you mean your phone cannot do Excel" (yeah, I know Excel is available on other OS, but 99 friends out of 100 don't have it installed, just saying)
    I think until MS Access is available on the phone, no one will be impressed with Office Apps.
    05-01-2016 06:25 PM
    Actually, I just hand them my phone and say "Play around with it."

Most of the time people just say "Eh...", but then I go on to say "Did you notice this..." and show them various things. Like resizing and rearranging the tiles, then point out that the tiles are "live" (android people like this, instead of widgets) and you can also nest tiles into one tile. Then they say "Oh WOW, that IS cool!". But then they ask, "So you still have ALL your apps on the main screen :( " To which I explain that I only have the apps that I use the most on the main screen, and that all the apps are listed when you swipe left (iOS people always say "I wish Apple would do this.").

The hard part is when they ask about app availability, and I have to explain the situation. There are official apps, then third party apps. If there isn't an official app, there is most likely a third party app that will work. Abet some do it better than the official app, others not so. But with the new paradyne of universal apps that go from PC to Mobile, and that Microsoft has really put an effort into Visual Studio so programmers can write once and port relatively easily to whichever platform (Windows, Windows Mobile, Android, iOS) they like, there should be a growing increase in app availability. But I have to admit, time will tell.

One other thing, after I show them the tile features (rearranging, and such), some people ask if this will work on their PC with Windows 10. I have to explain to them, YES! You can, and should, customize the start screen to what you like. I'm always stunned at how many people leave their start screen "as is" on their PC.

I seriously blame Microsoft and their US marketing department for this. They try to mimic Apple ads to much. They should start over with an ad campaign showing off the features and the details of Windows 10 (PC and Mobile), similar to what I've seen in other countries. Which explains why Windows Mobile is doing so well, outside the US. More tutorial type of ads, if that makes sense.
    05-01-2016 06:40 PM
    My colleague managed to screw up his L930 quite badly on jumpin to WM10, So I helped him and I hard resetted his phone and help him back on his feet.. > happy man.
    Also I managed to help my friend to jump to SmartPhone world by buing L650 with help on using it..
    05-02-2016 06:31 AM
    NOPE, not biting on what you are casting here. I promote Xbox, i promote windows 10 (hey why haven't you upgraded??) , I promote the services, like office online, onedrive, OneNote <-- which is crazy awesome. To my developer friends i talk about how the tools MS gives out free to developers are leaps and bounds better than than any other platform. If people use those services, then it is just a matter of time before they give MS mobile a try.
    05-02-2016 08:11 AM
    I showed my co-workers my 950 XL, with Windows 10, the advantage of having a dual SIM phone. Some people actually carry two phones, one personal and on business, with the 950 XL, they could just use the one phone. I pointed out Continuum on the phone and showed it
    working plugging it into a monitor, using the hub. Some managers really liked.
    05-02-2016 08:44 AM
    David, how in the world did you find a G4 for 50 bucks. Please tell me it wasnt just a lucky find, I'd totally be all over it in a minute. True story. Even though we're a Windows only household.
    Proper hunting and knowing some inside secrets. And part being lucky, found a LG G3 for cheap too, that I will be selling soon (my wife is going to be using it). There is a inside thing to LG phones that I like and wont give up my secret (so dont ask).

Although I prefer White phones, the G4 with the black leather back (in PERFECT shape btw), has a very premium feel to it. It's a nice phone to swap beteen on my ICON.

BTW, I paid $40 for it and I could sell it in a heartbeat for a major profit, If I wanted to.

After using Android for a few weeks, The big apps, so so, If Microsoft would get Tap to Pay...I think I would sell off my Android devices and be back on WP for good...

Dont thin we are going to see that any time soon.
    Werentuckl likes this.
    05-02-2016 09:29 AM
    Woah, that is some killer deal hunting skills you've got going there friend. And dont worry, I wont be asking you to divulge your deepest darkest bargain hunting skills. But what I will ask is if theres any chance of you helping a good soul out to arrange a similar find for them. ;) Now that would indebt me to you for life. True story. :P Not that I'm an android person from anywhere, but I am a sucker for cheap things, and amazing deals. I mean I'd prolly sell my soul for a good deal. Remember a few years ago when they had 55 inch LED TVs on sale for 200 a pop, on black friday. You can probably guess what I wanted to happened after.

And in other more related news, I just remembered. I also bootcamped W10 on a friend's MacBook a couple of months ago. Gives me a very satisfying smile everytime I see her using Windows on it because V-Ray, Rhino, Grasshopper and other assorted et al tools wont play nice on the OSX partition of it. But it wasnt enough to get her to consider WM10, even though I tried pitching the 950XL to her. Wish she liked me more, but now I'm just being wistful and trailing off on a tangent. Sometimes WM10 feels a lot like me. No love. :P

-- W
    Mach_E likes this.
    05-02-2016 01:20 PM
  22. Martin Oscar Caballero Sartor's Avatar
    Not really.

I'm neither a fanboy nor a phone evangelist. But I live in a small city. Not a town by my country standards but a city with a population below 100,000. The local cinema has an Android app and many small businesses have their own Android app. I used the upcoming movies using the local cinema's app when I had an Android phone and it would be cool if I could convince them to create a Windows app. It's easier when you live in a small city. It's way harder to convince Big Nationwide Bank from Big City to create a Windows app, but why not a small business?

That's a real life scenario when you can do something about it. No, we won't turn the tide. No, we won't save Windows from its fate. But while we are on board we can make our own lives easier. When I bought my 535 (and I don't regret buying it) I knew Windows didn't have that many apps but I didn't know which ones weren't ported. I bought the phone on a tight budget and all Android phones on the same price were inferior to the 535.

App availability depends on user base, so if you live in a small community and Windows Phone/Mobile becomes popular over there, you can make local businesses bring your apps to Windows and make your own life (not Microsoft's) easier.
    05-05-2016 06:41 PM
    I'm about to give my sister my Lumia 550 because it's just sitting around. It'll be her first smartphone.
    05-06-2016 03:23 AM
    I'm about to give my sister my Lumia 550 because it's just sitting around. It'll be her first smartphone.
    My wife's old 720 which she gave to her sis, will now be passed over to her brother. It will be his first step into smartphone.
    Nokia do make em last a long time
    05-06-2016 05:16 AM
    My wife's old 720 which she gave to her sis, will now be passed over to her brother. It will be his first step into smartphone.
    Nokia do make em last a long time
    Yes they do, I still have a working Nokia X7-00 lying around.
    05-06-2016 05:22 AM
80 1234