What have you done today to promote Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile?

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
First off, I know the current state is Microsoft's responsibility. By saying "What have you done today..." I'm not trying to blame users.

But while Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile's market share keeps shrinking, we still keep our hopes and dream of better days ahead.

We may not save the platform but we could still make the app gap an inch (or centimeter) narrower, bring other people to the Windows Phone/Mobile ship (so we take them to hell with us when it sinks) and show how great this mobile OS really is. Yes, WM might be going the Bada way, but not without a good fight.

So, do you like your phone? Go to gsmarena.com and click on your phone model (Microsoft | Nokia or search for other brands) and click the "Become a fan" button at the top of your model's page. Also, you can leave a comment answering other people's questions and prejudices. Make your phone popular!

So your favorite app is not available for Windows Phone/WIndows Mobile? Vote for your favorite app at WishAppList : Boost development in Windows 10 et Windows 10 Mobile applications ! or suggest an app.

Read this thread on how to contact your favorite app's developer and what you can do to convince them to port their apps to WIndows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile.

I haven't started this thread only to share some ways to spread the word but also to let everyone share their suggestions on how to change the current situation if only even a bit.

Fanboyism/fangirlism doesn't help. Don't paint the sky blue when it's raining. Just let's show the facts about our phones and its OS and help others in their first steps with Windows Mobile.

Last edited:

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I made 4 of my friends switch to WP after showing off my phone which was 630 DS at that time. They were bored using android.
3X 730 DS and 1X 540 DS

I gave my 630 DS to my mother (her first smartphone) and brought the new 640XL for myself.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been directly responsible for a few people getting a windows mobile device based on my suggestions:

• I got my wife a HTC 8X and she used it for almost two years until it was dropped and broken. I replaced it with an iphone because her family are apple drones and do a lot of facetiming, FindMyFriends, and SnapChatting. She loved the live tiles and WP UI but it was about the apps, man.
  • Coworker #1 got a low end Lumia to replace his Android when it died. He used it for about a year until it started to flake out on him. The thing was $50 so it worked out for the time. He didn't care either way but based on his son's not being able to play clash of clans and missing a few apps he went back to Android. It was about the apps, man.
  • Coworker #2 got a Lumia 920 as a work phone and kept his Galaxy as a personal phone. He abuses his work phones like a bad clutch but it lasted for over two years. Once it finally broke he replaced it with a Galaxy. It was about the apps, man. He now carries around two galaxies. Coincidentally, the screen on the galaxy replacement broke after 3 months. Sucker.
  • Coworker #3 After toying around with my 1520, he got one for his grandmother who lives in the Philippines. According to him she been loving it.
  • Coworker #4 After toying around with my Surface Pro, he bought one. Three years later he still brings his to work everyday.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, discussed with a friend (huge Apple fan) about the different strategies between Microsoft and Apple. He was used to discussing with Android people and "winning" (I don't think you can really win at this).

I went ahead and shared what I've learned (Windows Mobile isn't dead, the smartphone is dead, possible future for the 2, etc) and features only on Windows 10/W10M

Now he's deciding between the 950XL, HP Elite X3, or Surface Phone once he's ready to drop his 6S Plus. But he's sticking to his iPad Pro mini for a while longer

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been correcting people that say Microsoft has given upp on "Windows 10 Mobile" and who say there won't be any more phones running Windows 10.

What makes me surprised is that people around different Windows-communities don't know what Microsoft meant when they said that they weren't focusing on their own phone-hardware right now.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been correcting people that say Microsoft has given upp on "Windows 10 Mobile" and who say there won't be any more phones running Windows 10.

What makes me surprised is that people around different Windows-communities don't know what Microsoft meant when they said that they weren't focusing on their own phone-hardware right now.

Trust me they know..or some of them do anyways.. but it's easier to say "MS has abandoned us" and the media really loves saying that as well :confused:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Recently?

Bought a L930, in the past had gotten a lot of users to switch.

Right now WM10 is getting there but it is not quite there in terms of a cohesive UX for instance in certains apps you have long press the screen to get the copy and paste bar, then long press again to paste. Other apps, long press you get a copy dialogue box and the paste icon above the keyboard. But it's getting there, the anniversary update should bring a even more cohesive experience as the core apps slowly being universal.

For me personally the beauty of the live tiles is that every user can have their home screen how they want it, sure on android you have your widgets but these widgets are almost the same for pretty much a lot of people as not everyone uses customs roms or deviates from the standard boxed widgets. With tiles you could have very large medium tiles or plaster your start screen with mini tiles like a mosaic.

People who frequent forums like these are not your typical audience, they can tell the difference between the statement "my phone is a samsung running on ee" and "my phone is a samsung s5 running android on the ee network" for example. The former is a statement made by people who stick to what they are comfortable with and that is the bog standard widgets on android with sporadic icons stretched across many home screens.

Furthermore not all millennials are tech savy although they like to think they are - given the insane number gadgets some wear or carry lol.

But as it stands right now, it's perception that is the key and Microsoft retrenching is making people click those doom and gloom posts.

There is a lot of misinformed users out there and that is partly down to Microsoft as well - for instance I saw comment that stated the 950 doesn't support VoLTE - both the 950 and XL do - as stated in the FAQ but it needs carrier support first... sadly. They should just enable it in on firmware for all phones out of the box and if the carrier supports it on their network - then great - if not - no loss.

In the grand scheme of things, UX aside WM10 at it's core is a marvel and feat of engineering as if they could add Ethernet over USB to phones via an update (presuming there is hard support baked in of course during the planning stages). The question is what else they could add / have hidden inside the 950 and XL :p.

Edit: Well finally they have gotten round to adding GATT Server API's... welcome news. Hence why I say WM10 will get better over time, unfortunately I know many don't have the patience any more and that is understandable.

http://www.windowscentral.com/gatt-support-crucial-notifications-wearables-coming-windows-10-mobile

Last edited:

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
But apparently you're using a surface.. the small things count too :D I have a 635/920 and a 925 that needs fixing.. None of them will see RS, but there ain't much to do about it at the end of the day.

My L920 and L1020 are on 10586.218. Are you saying that the Windows Insider will not pick up any of the new 14xxx builds?

My L930 picked up build 14332 this morning.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same thing we do every day, Pinkie. Try to take over the world.

pinky_and_the_brain.jpg

Today, as most every day, I tried my best to combat FUD with positivity and well reasoned arguments.

Yesterday I also encouraged the developer of Livescape to keep pursuing a UWP and offered a link to our beta test area.

Narf

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Show off my phone. My co-worker actually has convinced one of our project managers to potentially switch. The continuum feature is something that he would like. I just show things like simplicity, app design that follows similar patterns, etc.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My L920 and L1020 are on 10586.218. Are you saying that the Windows Insider will not pick up any of the new 14xxx builds?

My L930 picked up build 14332 this morning.

Martin has already confirmed this :) So I'm confirming his confirmation :D

Official list of phones that can get w10m without the need of being an insider: Supported phones for Windows Insider Preview - Microsoft Windows

Your phones aren't on it (except for the 930), so the only way to get w10m is to download the windows insider app and selecting the release preview ring. However this will only take you as far as the Threshold builds.

The newer and more recent Redstone builds will most likely never show up for us

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
What did I do? What I do every day, namely, I heavily use my W10M device which is a 640XL and the related MS services. Oh, and I also use W10 across all my devices (SP3 and S3).

It could be said that my using W10M, devices that run it and other W10 and MS services on a daily basis could be construed as me promoting them. But frankly, such a thought did not cross my mind. Its just that I like the aesthetics of W10M and the integration (and potential for even more) of MS apps and services. Serves my purpose and I enjoy using them (including the hardware).

Bittah Pupil

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
There's a part of me that wants to tell parents to get their kids a Windows Phone because it will do the basic stuff of calling, texting and MMS and there aren't many apps they'll have to worry about like Snapchat or whatever the trend is now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)