What have you done today to promote Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll do it in a more subtle way.... Take better pictures for posting. Reply faster cos the keyboard is quite efficient.... Or if really push comes to shove, take screen shots of my excel file I'm using and post em... "what do you mean your phone cannot do Excel" (yeah, I know Excel is available on other OS, but 99 friends out of 100 don't have it installed, just saying)

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Over the years, I have gotten well over 20-30 people on Windows Phone. The big ones not too long ago is my brother and sister. My brother got a 1520.3 and my sister got a 950. They do both love their phones but, have heard some complaints about the apps. They are not huge app people, so it's not a big deal.

Personally, I am on a LG G4 right(with black leather back in flawless shape) now that I swap with my ICON. My G4 cost me less than $50 used so it's a cheap option for me to play with Android for a while. Don't get me wrong, I love Windows Phone....

I just got so tired of waiting for stuff....Loving tap to pay on Android, something Microsoft has been saying it's been coming for like 2-3 years now..

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
David, how in the world did you find a G4 for 50 bucks. Please tell me it wasnt just a lucky find, I'd totally be all over it in a minute. True story. Even though we're a Windows only household.

And well, on that note. Ive done a lot of evangelism to no avail, but I have my immediate family firmly on the platform. So I guess that counts. That makes it three other members of the household besides me, mother, sister, and brother in law. On that note, they're all not so big on app crazy so we do just about fine. :) ^_^

-- W

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I try to convince everyone to update to windows 10 and I always show to everyone my surface, but, windows 10 mobile is a complete different approach, I never try to convince any one, and I'll recommend that they buy an android or even an iPhone

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll do it in a more subtle way.... Take better pictures for posting. Reply faster cos the keyboard is quite efficient.... Or if really push comes to shove, take screen shots of my excel file I'm using and post em... "what do you mean your phone cannot do Excel" (yeah, I know Excel is available on other OS, but 99 friends out of 100 don't have it installed, just saying)

I think until MS Access is available on the phone, no one will be impressed with Office Apps.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I just hand them my phone and say "Play around with it."

Most of the time people just say "Eh...", but then I go on to say "Did you notice this..." and show them various things. Like resizing and rearranging the tiles, then point out that the tiles are "live" (android people like this, instead of widgets) and you can also nest tiles into one tile. Then they say "Oh WOW, that IS cool!". But then they ask, "So you still have ALL your apps on the main screen :( " To which I explain that I only have the apps that I use the most on the main screen, and that all the apps are listed when you swipe left (iOS people always say "I wish Apple would do this.").

The hard part is when they ask about app availability, and I have to explain the situation. There are official apps, then third party apps. If there isn't an official app, there is most likely a third party app that will work. Abet some do it better than the official app, others not so. But with the new paradyne of universal apps that go from PC to Mobile, and that Microsoft has really put an effort into Visual Studio so programmers can write once and port relatively easily to whichever platform (Windows, Windows Mobile, Android, iOS) they like, there should be a growing increase in app availability. But I have to admit, time will tell.

One other thing, after I show them the tile features (rearranging, and such), some people ask if this will work on their PC with Windows 10. I have to explain to them, YES! You can, and should, customize the start screen to what you like. I'm always stunned at how many people leave their start screen "as is" on their PC.

I seriously blame Microsoft and their US marketing department for this. They try to mimic Apple ads to much. They should start over with an ad campaign showing off the features and the details of Windows 10 (PC and Mobile), similar to what I've seen in other countries. Which explains why Windows Mobile is doing so well, outside the US. More tutorial type of ads, if that makes sense.

Fred Shumacher

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My colleague managed to screw up his L930 quite badly on jumpin to WM10, So I helped him and I hard resetted his phone and help him back on his feet.. > happy man.
Also I managed to help my friend to jump to SmartPhone world by buing L650 with help on using it..

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
NOPE, not biting on what you are casting here. I promote Xbox, i promote windows 10 (hey why haven't you upgraded??) , I promote the services, like office online, onedrive, OneNote <-- which is crazy awesome. To my developer friends i talk about how the tools MS gives out free to developers are leaps and bounds better than than any other platform. If people use those services, then it is just a matter of time before they give MS mobile a try.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I showed my co-workers my 950 XL, with Windows 10, the advantage of having a dual SIM phone. Some people actually carry two phones, one personal and on business, with the 950 XL, they could just use the one phone. I pointed out Continuum on the phone and showed it
working plugging it into a monitor, using the hub. Some managers really liked.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
David, how in the world did you find a G4 for 50 bucks. Please tell me it wasnt just a lucky find, I'd totally be all over it in a minute. True story. Even though we're a Windows only household.

Proper hunting and knowing some inside secrets. And part being lucky, found a LG G3 for cheap too, that I will be selling soon (my wife is going to be using it). There is a inside thing to LG phones that I like and wont give up my secret (so dont ask).

Although I prefer White phones, the G4 with the black leather back (in PERFECT shape btw), has a very premium feel to it. It's a nice phone to swap beteen on my ICON.

BTW, I paid $40 for it and I could sell it in a heartbeat for a major profit, If I wanted to.

After using Android for a few weeks, The big apps, so so, If Microsoft would get Tap to Pay...I think I would sell off my Android devices and be back on WP for good...

Dont thin we are going to see that any time soon.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Woah, that is some killer deal hunting skills you've got going there friend. And dont worry, I wont be asking you to divulge your deepest darkest bargain hunting skills. But what I will ask is if theres any chance of you helping a good soul out to arrange a similar find for them. ;) Now that would indebt me to you for life. True story. :p Not that I'm an android person from anywhere, but I am a sucker for cheap things, and amazing deals. I mean I'd prolly sell my soul for a good deal. Remember a few years ago when they had 55 inch LED TVs on sale for 200 a pop, on black friday. You can probably guess what I wanted to happened after.

And in other more related news, I just remembered. I also bootcamped W10 on a friend's MacBook a couple of months ago. Gives me a very satisfying smile everytime I see her using Windows on it because V-Ray, Rhino, Grasshopper and other assorted et al tools wont play nice on the OSX partition of it. But it wasnt enough to get her to consider WM10, even though I tried pitching the 950XL to her. Wish she liked me more, but now I'm just being wistful and trailing off on a tangent. Sometimes WM10 feels a lot like me. No love. :p

-- W

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Frankly, it is silly to be an evangelist for any software or hardware or manufacturer unless you work for the company and your living depends on it. This is not a religion. Being a Microsofty is no different than being an iSheep or a Gaggler. None of your promotion is going to make one whit of difference in the big picture, unless by some chance you have a high enough profile. Personally, I use what works best for me and I recommend to others what I think works best for them. My family and friends are totally agnostic on technology. In my household we run everything from the latest Mac laptop to Windows 10 on a desktop to Ubuntu on an old desktop to various flavors of older Windows on some laptops and various flavors of Linux on other laptops along with a Kindle, and we have Windows phones, iPhones, and Android phones and some of us use more than one system at the same time. About the only thing we don't use right now is a table since my wife broke hers running W8. We're debating between a Windows, an Android, or an iPad tablet.

Not really.

I'm neither a ****** nor a phone evangelist. But I live in a small city. Not a town by my country standards but a city with a population below 100,000. The local cinema has an Android app and many small businesses have their own Android app. I used the upcoming movies using the local cinema's app when I had an Android phone and it would be cool if I could convince them to create a Windows app. It's easier when you ?live in a small city. It's way harder to convince Big Nationwide Bank from Big City to create a Windows app, but why not a small business?

That's a real life scenario when you can do something about it. No, we won't turn the tide. No, we won't save Windows from its fate. But while we are on board we can make our own lives easier. When I bought my 535 (and I don't regret buying it) I knew Windows didn't have that many apps but I didn't know which ones weren't ported. I bought the phone on a tight budget and all Android phones on the same price were inferior to the 535.

App availability depends on user base, so if you live in a small community and Windows Phone/Mobile becomes popular over there, you can make local businesses bring your apps to Windows and make your own life (not Microsoft's) easier.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to give my sister my Lumia 550 because it's just sitting around. It'll be her first smartphone.
My wife's old 720 which she gave to her sis, will now be passed over to her brother. It will be his first step into smartphone.
Nokia do make em last a long time

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes they do, I still have a working Nokia X7-00 lying around.

The X7-00 is solid.
I had a C7-00, but I raise you a classic 6303, now SIM-less, now the best alarm clock I have. It last three months on a single charge.
TW8hNRM.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
The 6303 just won't break, I think my aunt still has one in her drawer.
Can I ask what device the 6303 is chilling on? The yellow looks stunning.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's resting on The Yellow Beast.. i.e 1520.
I put in the picture just for size comparison.

The 6303, like the C7-00 was similar, plastic body but a removable stainless steel back plate to access the battery. Super solid

Sent from mTalk

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
App availability depends on user base, so if you live in a small community and Windows Phone/Mobile becomes popular over there, you can make local businesses bring your apps to Windows and make your own life (not Microsoft's) easier.
Just won't happen anywhere in the USA unless you live in Seattle where Microsoft is based, and that doesn't count as a small community. If you are on Windows phone here in the USA your default position must be that specialized niche apps just won't exist for local businesses. I'm fine with that most of the time since I don't want to do e-commerce on my phone--too many security risks. I use my phone for communication first, receiving information second, productivity third, and maps and navigation fourth. I could care less if the local coffee shop has a Windows app--I'll just order from the menu.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I promote W10M by using them every day. My drivers use them, we've got 14 in the company. Some drivers love their androids, some have iPhones. They use the W10M becaue it is easy to incorportate into my 'little' company, and also driver security (most people don't know they exist!). We make full use of one drive and cortana, where the office staff can send texts from the PC's etc, and visa versa. Despite their affections for android and iPhone, they find the Windows devices very straight forward, and easy to use, without too much of 'My Samsung / iPhone does this'.

I have recently bought an iPad 3. I don't care it's not the 4, I couldn't justify the massive price difference. As a tablet OS, iOS is a very effective tool, and, having educated myself, and sat and learnt the idiosyncrasies of the OS, I actually enjoy it. It's well nailed together, and it should be, they charge enough! I still wouldn't have one as a phone though. I don't know why, I just don't like the phone form, or the price!

So, having read some of the earlier posts about 'haters', I admit, I did not like the iPhone, I had a couple. I thought the iPad would be the same, but the OS just works on that form. I guess it's all about perception, and as mentioned earlier, people not willing to learn their way around. It's human nature to stick with what you are comfortable with, and I guess in a way, that's how Samsung and Apple have stayed ahead by releasing the same old device with a few updates, a slightly different form and an even shinier badge on the back. The fashionistas love them for it, and they have created a whole new sector of 'phone snobbery', especially when you buy a case for an iPhone, with a big hole in the back so people can see it when you are using it. Maybe, the reason for the cross platform haters, is just that. OS snobbery?

Anyways, back on track, I use windows devices in my business, and 'wow' clients with continuum. OK, maybe not 'wow', but it does surprise them

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss