After WP10 development is 'finalized', will unsupported devices be able to get WP10?

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
After WP10 development is 'finalized', will unsupported devices be able to get WP10 after the Insider Program is presumably(?) ended. I have a Lumia 925 with 1 gb ram and am waiting to get WP10 when it is well sorted out. But I don't want to miss out if the insider program is ended, if access for me is also ended.
thanks
Rollo

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you misunderstand how Windows is going to work going forward.

Microsoft has shifted to a different development model, one peppered with more features over time rather than large XP > Vista-like upgrades every so often.

1. W10M's development will never be "finished," they will continue developing new updates in the near future.

2. The current stable branch, Threshold 2/10586.xxx is "finalized" and is only getting bugfixes now while MS works on the next upgrade. And as long as there's another piece of software under development going forward, there will be Windows Insider. Insider is sticking around.

So basically, your 925 has been thrown under the bus. Your only hope is to get on the Insider program and get a soon-to-be-outdated Windows 10 Mobile build or buy a new Lumia, which is what they want instead.

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Xandros, I do understand the new model of no new OS', only upgrades, but I didn't know if when it became stable whether they would dump the Insider Program.

And I do realize that they have dumped me under the bus again (I had a Nokia 800 that couldn't go to WP8). As a psychotherapist maybe I should be looking into whether I have a hidden self-abuse tendency!

Therefore, by your statement " Your only hope is to get on the Insider program and get a soon-to-be-outdated Windows 10 Mobile build" you are NOT saying that the time will come when I won't be able to get an Insider build, only that in your opinion now is as good a time as any - right?

Cheers,
Rollo

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

If your phone is on the eligible list and you go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Therefore, by your statement " Your only hope is to get on the Insider program and get a soon-to-be-outdated Windows 10 Mobile build" you are NOT saying that the time will come when I won't be able to get an Insider build, only that in your opinion now is as good a time as any - right?

I personally don't expect to see 10586/TH2 Insider builds to go away in the future, especially considering we can still get 8.1 updates for phones on the now-outdated Preview for Developers.

I'd sooner worry about the hardware lasting long enough over access to builds.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
hmm if you mean "what happens after RS1 goes to release preview" then maybe they get a "something happened" at Aul's house and ALL phones on release preview ring get the RTM RS1 build

or.. just edit some registry thingy and mark your lumia as 950 XL and be done with it, Microsoft will probably try to block that for some satan ritual so you better act fast

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I've certainly edited the PCs Registry but I didn't know you could edit the Phone's registry.
Shall I just google it or does anyone have a favorite method or tools they would like to recommend?
Thanks for your time
Rollo

"
hmm if you mean "what happens after RS1 goes to release preview" then maybe they get a "something happened" at Aul's house and ALL phones on release preview ring get the RTM RS1 build

or.. just edit some registry thingy and mark your lumia as 950 XL and be done with it, Microsoft will probably try to block that for some satan ritual so you better act fast
"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo