Much Needed Addition Required ASAP

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe that it's a hardware limitation. I'm assuming that Microsoft really wanted people to use Glance to show notifications.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe that it's a hardware limitation. I'm assuming that Microsoft really wanted people to use Glance to show notifications.
Yes, it's HW feat. same as USB OTG that everyone believed was a Win10 new feature; google for specs.
If I remember well there's the Video Memory Map or something sounding like

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's some interesting wording here which wouldn't be used if it were a hardware constraint

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...rt%2Ffaq%2F%3Ftopic%3DFA144547&token=Uxt2Z7ed

The following Lumia devices currently do not support double tap to wake up:
◦Lumia 550
◦Lumia 650
◦Lumia 650 Dual SIM
◦Lumia 950
◦Lumia 950 Dual SIM
◦Lumia 950 XL
◦Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM

If you would like to give feedback about this feature, please use the Windows Feedback app.

Notice it says "does not currently support", and then leads the reader to use the feedback app. My guy in Espoo told me that the wording here is intentional and exact. But you can make your own mind up about that...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I'm wondering why Abhinav requires four ways of notifying or otherwise finding out the user that there are notifications while being able to turn the phone off completely while it's charging.

I guess I'm old fashioned in that I'll notice a notification banner or I can just tap the power button.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I suggested the switch off mode as this is a common feature on many phones....causes less heat and faster charging
Four way notifications are only some suggestions i gave as i wrote in the first post atleast some features should come on windows 10 not all...

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Pls read the description and u will know wat Vibrate On Pickup is...it s available in Samsung And Moto devices

I found that on Wiki on late afternoon. I voted it as The most unuseful ever >.<
I have many friends they got a Galaxy, never told me such a nonsense feature.
OMG there are a lot very imore mportant features we need, as a big low battery icon as old Nokia screensaver app.
Not that stupid "vibrate when pick up"
I'm astonished

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I suggested the switch off mode as this is a common feature on many phones....causes less heat and faster charging...

Heat when charging... OK let's look at that.

The phone will heat more if you use it and charge simultaneously, but you want the phone off so that isn't an issue...

Fast charging such as on the 950XL will increase heat period. Off or on it will be hotter than standard charging. No way around that really.

When not in use and on a standard charger or Qi stand, my phones don't get more than slightly warm...

Faster charging?

When idle with the screen off or just Glance, the phone really isn't drawing that much charge. How much of an advantage do you presume this is? 1% to 2% extra an hour would be my guestimate.

Here is a screencap from my 1520 which has been sitting idle in my pocket (so no Glance running) for a couple hours. I just unlocked it and opened up Battery App. Note the discharge rate of a whopping 1.01% per hour.

wp_ss_20160505_0001.jpg

...it s available in Samsung And Moto devices

Not every device will have the features all others have. We'd end up with everyone having the same phone. :winktongue:

I think you are making mountains out of molehills here. "Nice to have" is much different from "Much Needed Addition Required ASAP" and not everyone is going to see these as "key features" that will make or break the UX.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I found that on Wiki on late afternoon. I voted it as The most unuseful ever >.<
I have many friends they got a Galaxy, never told me such a nonsense feature.
OMG there are a lot very imore mportant features we need, as a big low battery icon as old Nokia screensaver app.
Not that stupid "vibrate when pick up"
I'm astonished

Do have it something against the Vibrate to pickup some personal equation....m sorry if i have hurt ur feelings in any unimaginable way...
If u thought it was the most useless poll than why bother with ur gracious presence here....this is a discussion so dont take it to ur heart.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Heat when charging... OK let's look at that.

The phone will heat more if you use it and charge simultaneously, but you want the phone off so that isn't an issue...

Fast charging such as on the 950XL will increase heat period. Off or on it will be hotter than standard charging. No way around that really.

When not in use and on a standard charger or Qi stand, my phones don't get more than slightly warm...

Faster charging?

When idle with the screen off or just Glance, the phone really isn't drawing that much charge. How much of an advantage do you presume this is? 1% to 2% extra an hour would be my guestimate.

Here is a screencap from my 1520 which has been sitting idle in my pocket (so no Glance running) for a couple hours. I just unlocked it and opened up Battery App. Note the discharge rate of a whopping 1.01% per hour.

View attachment 125959

Not every device will have the features all others have. We'd end up with everyone having the same phone. :winktongue:

I think you are making mountains out of molehills here. "Nice to have" is much different from "Much Needed Addition Required ASAP" and not everyone is going to see these as "key features" that will make or break the UX.

This a healthy discussion post here....thanks for ur detailed information and i am totally new to windows just purchased the Lumia 950XL so i was looking for those features on the windows 10 platform which is going gr8...
Idk why are you being so defensive abt this topic...its a forum for discussion so its good to have various opinions...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just trying to inject some rational facts into it.

IMHO, trying to make a new OS conform to what you are familiar with on a previous one is a quick way to a headache. They all have their own feature sets, behaviors and ways to accomplish tasks. When I switch between platforms I try and train myself on the ways of the platform rather than trying to tame the device to my old habits...

:cool:

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Can't say any of them is a big miss for me. I HATE the glance screen and it's the first thing I turn off, I know lots of people like it but to me it's a nag.

DTTW is of no consequence to me either, in fact I only ever tried it on my old 925 when people with 950/xls were complaining about not having it. I now have a 950 and would far rather have flip to silence and weather on the lock screen back.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Well, I don't have a 950/XL, but I wonder why my cheap 535 has Double-Tap-To-Wake while the Microsoft flagship doesn't. That makes no sense to me.

I would have killed for a LED in the front of the device so I don't have to check the charge by turning the screen on every xx minutes. But MSFT decided to save a couple of pennies and didn't put a LED light. Oh well...

The 2nd-gen Moto E turns the screen on "a la Glance" when you pick up so you can see the time and some notifications. That would be an useful Win10 feature. Not all phones have Glance or a LED. Mine has neither.

I definitely agree with the accent color from background. I use it on the desktop W10.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just trying to inject some rational facts into it.

IMHO, trying to make a new OS conform to what you are familiar with on a previous one is a quick way to a headache. They all have their own feature sets, behaviors and ways to accomplish tasks. When I switch between platforms I try and train myself on the ways of the platform rather than trying to tame the device to my old habits...

:cool:

that's obvious, but when you "upgrade" and find you now have missing features... cmon who wouldn't like to see Nadella whipping some lazy devs

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Only really care about 1: double tap to wake. And I already have that in Windows 10. I think that's a firmware/phone issue, not a Windows 10 since it works fine on my 1520.3.

I also slightly care about another you listed but didn't make it to the poll (run out of options?).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb