Much Needed Addition Required ASAP

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Its not make or break but I would like a battery indicator up on the top ribbon with a number in percentage of battery. Most battery add on apps are not very accurate and seem to use more power than they are worth (even if they are free) and the current charger icon is way too small for older guys like me without squinting with my spectacles. Loving my week old 950!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Heat when charging... OK let's look at that.

The phone will heat more if you use it and charge simultaneously, but you want the phone off so that isn't an issue...

Fast charging such as on the 950XL will increase heat period. Off or on it will be hotter than standard charging. No way around that really.

When not in use and on a standard charger or Qi stand, my phones don't get more than slightly warm...

Faster charging?

When idle with the screen off or just Glance, the phone really isn't drawing that much charge. How much of an advantage do you presume this is? 1% to 2% extra an hour would be my guestimate.

Here is a screencap from my 1520 which has been sitting idle in my pocket (so no Glance running) for a couple hours. I just unlocked it and opened up Battery App. Note the discharge rate of a whopping 1.01% per hour.

View attachment 125959

Not every device will have the features all others have. We'd end up with everyone having the same phone. :winktongue:

I think you are making mountains out of molehills here. "Nice to have" is much different from "Much Needed Addition Required ASAP" and not everyone is going to see these as "key features" that will make or break the UX.

My only reason for it is this scenario:

You have a great phone you use as a daily driver and a Lumia 640 you mess around with on the side. You don't want the L640 to run on empty the next time you use it to run or listen to music or whatever. But you forget that you had set an alarm clock or you get some email notification in the middle of the night because you plugged it in and it won't stay off. It is a very small annoyance, but it actually reduced my use of the phone.

Verne57

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Am curious about this double tap to wake feature. Seems totally unnecessary. How is it simpler/better than just pressing the side button? What am I missing?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
LED notifications are a nightmare for me. As a taxi business owner, and driving myself, I find the LED flashing VERY distracting. It sits there flashing away, and sooner, or later, you just have to check it otherwise it just continues. I was told once to choose a colour for different notification. You then end up on the M25 trying to remember what colour means what, and there it is again, nagging you, tempting you to deal with it and running the chance of bumping in to the Traffic Police for using your phone whislt driving, just to kill the damned thing.

Glance is way better. But then again, so is Cortana. Glance just sits there, with your notification highlighted, but not nagging you to deal with it. Then after inactivity, glance fades away. I have no reason to check notifications all the time because if it's a text or call from the office, Cortana is hard to beat. For any other stuff, my band 2 takes care of it. A quick glance and I know whether it is spam or work related.

My biggest beef is double tap to wake. I jump from phone to phone at work. We've got 14 devices for drivers etc.My 'flagship' is missing the best feature of the 640's, 640xl's 930 etc...Very frustrating when I grab my 950xl and sit there like an ***** tapping the screen :angry:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Am curious about this double tap to wake feature. Seems totally unnecessary. How is it simpler/better than just pressing the side button? What am I missing?

Once you have used Double Tap, you WILL know what all the fuss is about. It's great for me, in the office environment, I just tap the screen and I haven't even got to pick the phone up to use it.

When my drivers are out on the road, they can leave the phone in the car holder, tap, and the phone is awake for checking job details etc.

For something so simple, it does make a huge difference. Once you've tried Tap, Tap, there ain't no going back :wink:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Your phone is sitting flat on the desk. You get a notification sound. It is slightly easier to double tap the screen to open the phone than to push the button on the side of the phone which requires semi picking it up. If you start using it, it is annoying not to have it. I forever accidentally double tap my SP3 trying to wake it up.

Its like having a touch screen lap top then going to a macbook pro. The mac user would say, "why do i need a touchscreen, i have a track pad that lets you scroll and resize everything." But once you use the other technology, you just know.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll write down my opinion about your requests (that you should do to Microsoft, not to a FanPage):

1) Led Notification support: This is very important as one cant check the phone all the time to see if their is any missed call or messages
I don't know all Windows Models, but AFAIK, the only one with LED was the Lumia 730/735, correct me if I'm wrong.
2)Double Tap To Wake Up: This feature was much loved in the 8.1 version then why remove this on the windows 10, bring it back
Aww Yeah!!!
3)Vibrate on pickup: This feature is present on most of the phones nowadays, when their is some missed calls or new messages or any other notification, when the phone is lifted the phone vibrates indicating that there are some notifications ready for you.
That would be nice, but knowing most people, they're phone junkies, they can't keep their faces off the screen, not even with their friends/family.
4)Glance Screen: Glance screen is a gr8 feature but what will make it more useful is the feature that will make it flash every 10 seconds when there are some missed calls or any other notifications which will be quite useful when we cant reach our phones and can see the notification flash from far away, instead of going near and checking the glace screen by swiping our palm over proximity sensor.
I think a device with a notification LED is more than enough, people will be complaining about battery life.
5)Battery Indicator: Indicate the percentage of battery on the screen itself so that their is no need of swiping down the menu bar.
Not really necessary. What for?
6)Charging On Switch Off Mode: This is surprisingly not present on lumia 950xl, this has to be added as charging the phone on switch off mode is a very common feature, the phone automatically switches on.
It happens with every Lumia I know.
7)Pick Up Accent Colour From Background: Automatically pickup accent colour from background is a feature present on the windows 10 desktop then why not the mobile, pls add this great personalisation feature.
Would be awesome!!
8)Incoming Call Screen Management: When we are using our phone and suddenly a incoming call comes up, whole screen is occupied by the caller screen and one cant use the back button or home button or complete the pending work or just close the application you were working on, so instead of covering the whole screen it would be wise if only a part of the screen is covered so that if the call isnt important we can just continue with our work.
Ignore the call?
Add all these feature and the windows 10 will be the best platform, at least add some of these features.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Was that a Nokia add on? Probably disappeared with the merger like many of the other Nokia apps.

Not Nokia. It was Microsoft taking advantage of SensorCore phones. Gestures Beta

It becomes a habit and you use it. It becomes indispensable if you use your phone in a cradle in your car.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Liked ur take on all the features rromerof, and as i have already told in my earlier post that i have already put this on the microsoft feedback page....Ignoring the call abruptly shuts down the call...the caller may seem u deliberately cut the call, so it will be easy if ur using ur phone and a call comes up, u can just choose to look away and continue with wat ever ur doing on ur phone then ignore the call..

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
LED notifications are a nightmare for me. As a taxi business owner, and driving myself, I find the LED flashing VERY distracting. It sits there flashing away, and sooner, or later, you just have to check it otherwise it just continues. I was told once to choose a colour for different notification. You then end up on the M25 trying to remember what colour means what, and there it is again, nagging you, tempting you to deal with it and running the chance of bumping in to the Traffic Police for using your phone whislt driving, just to kill the damned thing.

Glance is way better. But then again, so is Cortana. Glance just sits there, with your notification highlighted, but not nagging you to deal with it. Then after inactivity, glance fades away. I have no reason to check notifications all the time because if it's a text or call from the office, Cortana is hard to beat. For any other stuff, my band 2 takes care of it. A quick glance and I know whether it is spam or work related.

My biggest beef is double tap to wake. I jump from phone to phone at work. We've got 14 devices for drivers etc.My 'flagship' is missing the best feature of the 640's, 640xl's 930 etc...Very frustrating when I grab my 950xl and sit there like an ***** tapping the screen :angry:

True the led notification can sometimes be very annoying especially during the night when ur trying to sleep...but their are some advantages too like when the battery goes below 10% it goes red and when u put it on charge and it reaches100% it goes green without the need of checking the phone if it has reached 100%..

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
There are some features which has to be on windows 10 without any delay, pls add these on ur next build
1) Led Notification support: This is very important as one cant check the phone all the time to see if their is any missed call or messages
2)Double Tap To Wake Up: This feature was much loved in the 8.1 version then why remove this on the windows 10, bring it back
3)Vibrate on pickup: This feature is present on most of the phones nowadays, when their is some missed calls or new messages or any other notification, when the phone is lifted the phone vibrates indicating that there are some notifications ready for you.
4)Glance Screen: Glance screen is a gr8 feature but what will make it more useful is the feature that will make it flash every 10 seconds when there are some missed calls or any other notifications which will be quite useful when we cant reach our phones and can see the notification flash from far away, instead of going near and checking the glace screen by swiping our palm over proximity sensor.
5)Battery Indicator: Indicate the percentage of battery on the screen itself so that their is no need of swiping down the menu bar.
6)Charging On Switch Off Mode: This is surprisingly not present on lumia 950xl, this has to be added as charging the phone on switch off mode is a very common feature, the phone automatically switches on.
7)Pick Up Accent Colour From Background: Automatically pickup accent colour from background is a feature present on the windows 10 desktop then why not the mobile, pls add this great personalisation feature.
8)Incoming Call Screen Management: When we are using our phone and suddenly a incoming call comes up, whole screen is occupied by the caller screen and one cant use the back button or home button or complete the pending work or just close the application you were working on, so instead of covering the whole screen it would be wise if only a part of the screen is covered so that if the call isnt important we can just continue with our work.
Add all these feature and the windows 10 will be the best platform, at least add some of these features.

Firstly, where is the poll option 'None of the Above'?

1 - Not all phones have LED's.

2 - Again, not all phones support this yet for Windows 10 Mobile.

FAQ - Does my Lumia support double tap to wake up? - Microsoft - USA

3 - Surely Glance screen notifies you of this?

4 - Flashing Glance screen will be distracting and no doubt drain the battery.

5 - You can get the battery indicator to display a percentage and you then just swipe down to see it, as said.

6 - My 950XL charges just fine when switched off. Use a USB cable, not the wall plug charger.

7 - Could be interesting but again, no real need.

8 - Not sure if this would change. The argument being that you might miss an important call if it did.

Abhinav, you mentioned you came from Samsung and Motorola and Android. Clearly your move was because Android was possibly not 'the best platform' that you think Windows Mobile will suddenly become with the addition of these eight features (your own words).

Windows 10 Mobile has far more important needs that need addressing other than yours. It's good that you mentioned this as feedback to Microsoft but understand that Windows Mobile is not Android or iPhone. It won't have features you will commonly find in either and posting topics like this won't make Microsoft change their mind or update it.

It may not have all the applications or features we are used to in other platforms but what it does have is fine with me and I wouldn't go back to Android or iPhone for any of the eight features mentioned. Not everyone needs them, not all phones support them and Microsoft knows this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Firstly, where is the poll option 'None of the Above'?

1 - Not all phones have LED's.

2 - Again, not all phones support this yet for Windows 10 Mobile.

FAQ - Does my Lumia support double tap to wake up? - Microsoft - USA

3 - Surely Glance screen notifies you of this?

4 - Flashing Glance screen will be distracting and no doubt drain the battery.

5 - You can get the battery indicator to display a percentage and you then just swipe down to see it, as said.

6 - My 950XL charges just fine when switched off. Use a USB cable, not the wall plug charger.

7 - Could be interesting but again, no real need.

8 - Not sure if this would change. The argument being that you might miss an important call if it did.

Abhinav, you mentioned you came from Samsung and Motorola and Android. Clearly your move was because Android was possibly not 'the best platform' that you think Windows Mobile will suddenly become with the addition of these eight features (your own words).

Windows 10 Mobile has far more important needs that need addressing other than yours. It's good that you mentioned this as feedback to Microsoft but understand that Windows Mobile is not Android or iPhone. It won't have features you will commonly find in either and posting topics like this won't make Microsoft change their mind or update it.

It may not have all the applications or features we are used to in other platforms but what it does have is fine with me and I wouldn't go back to Android or iPhone for any of the eight features mentioned. Not everyone needs them, not all phones support them and Microsoft knows this.

Nxt time i will keep the option of None Of The Above for ppl like you who dont encourage change and want to stick to the tried and tested formula....You cant segregate features according to platforms like Windows, iOS or android...smart features are features that any phone can have it is not bad to wish for something that can make the UI more interesting for ppl like you there is always the option of disabling those features which u most probably wont use...
And yeah for ur kind information pls dont categorize ppl as newcomers, attention seeking(y so much of negativity, chill dude)...ur no one to judge i had lumia 920 used it for good 1 yr then went to other platforms...so its homecoming for me...It was just an opinion and ideas from an excited, well wisher of windows 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Nxt time i will keep the option of None Of The Above for ppl like you who dont encourage change and want to stick to the tried and tested formula....You cant segregate features according to platforms like Windows, iOS or android...smart features are features that any phone can have it is not bad to wish for something that can make the UI more interesting for ppl like you there is always the option of disabling those features which u most probably wont use...
And yeah for ur kind information pls dont categorize ppl as newcomers, attention seeking(y so much of negativity, chill dude)...ur no one to judge i had lumia 920 used it for good 1 yr then went to other platforms...so its homecoming for me...It was just an opinion and ideas from an excited, well wisher of windows 10.

Hello Abhinav.

Thanks for replying.

I didn't mean to sound as negative as I did. I apologise. I am all for change for Windows 10 Mobile, and some of your features are worthwhile, but right now, let's be honest, there are much bigger things that it needs. I guess what I am saying is that let's fix the bigger issues first then the smaller ones should be a cinch.

I've been with all mobile platforms except BlackBerry. For me, not sure about yourself, Windows Mobile just feels good to use. None of the other platforms give me that. I don't mind about the app gap or anything like that. Most apps are junk anyway. I guess my reply came across as a little too harsh and for that, again, I apologise, your suggestions are good and all feedback is welcomed.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Respect.
But "none of the above" is democracy, not that we don't want change anything as you claim now, or that we are against all changes.
That means "none of above", that's all! Take it easy!
Priorities are others, for most of the people. That's clear....
Next time, try with a "Another: please specify" ;)

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
What??? Double tap to wake up is removed?? I used it extensively on my Lumia 920. Since it got stolen, I'm on Lumia 520 and didn't know the feature was taken away! I'd be so so much disappointed if I was using my 920 now!

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
What??? Double tap to wake up is removed?? I used it extensively on my Lumia 920. Since it got stolen, I'm on Lumia 520 and didn't know the feature was taken away! I'd be so so much disappointed if I was using my 920 now!

Yup it is removed...but hopefully if it get high amount of upvotes on the Windows feedback app it will make a comeback

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It's not removed so much as it has not been enabled on any of the devices built for W10M. I still have it in my 1520 and my 640 running W10M.

There's some interesting wording here which wouldn't be used if it were a hardware constraint

The following Lumia devices currently do not support double tap to wake up:
◦Lumia 550
◦Lumia 650
◦Lumia 650 Dual SIM
◦Lumia 950
◦Lumia 950 Dual SIM
◦Lumia 950 XL
◦Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM

If you would like to give feedback about this feature, please use the Windows Feedback app.

Notice it says "does not currently support", and then leads the reader to use the feedback app. My guy in Espoo told me that the wording here is intentional and exact. But you can make your own mind up about that...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte