What has happened to Windows 10m?

h3n4

May 11, 2016
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with OP and some here. I use a Lumia 930 running W10M build 10.0.10586.318 (updated just an hour ago, so no experience on that). The .218 build was a steaming mess, though. I had severe reliability issues with my Camera app, Edge, Cortana search, Maps, Navigation, 9Gag, etc. The apps would crash and I'd get the resume screen. Especially bad was the Camera app when I tried to fire up the camera with the camera button: the app would almost always crash. That would happen virtually every time I needed to take a quick photo and when other people were present (Super embarrassing thing to have happen...).

Not to mention battery life which is so bad that I have to keep my phone on charger during my workdays just to get me through to the evening when I attach the charger before bed. The battery saver just doesn't help at all. No way can I go out at night and expect my phone to be usable when coming back home.

My W10M experience so far has been so bad, that I'm really considering changing platforms. I find this exceptionally bad being a die-hard Windows Phone user (and a ******) ever since WP7. WP8.1 was really good, fast, fluid, reliable, but W10M is not.

Just please make it work, I wish I could be a W10M user in the future as well.

And no one tell me to buy a new phone, or just "live with it". The experience is just too bad and it needs to be fixed.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have had my 1020 running Windows 10 Mobile since the start. Once the release version came out I have only ever had to reset it once and that was with the .218 update. I had t ok revert it to 8.1then upgrade again to Windows 10 Mobile.

Last night my 1020 upgraded to .318 with no issues as did my 950.

My 640 is happily running the latest Windows 10 fast ring build without any drama.

pettor

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with OP and some here. I use a Lumia 930 running W10M build 10.0.10586.318 (updated just an hour ago, so no experience on that). The .218 build was a steaming mess, though. I had severe reliability issues with my Camera app, Edge, Cortana search, Maps, Navigation, 9Gag, etc. The apps would crash and I'd get the resume screen. Especially bad was the Camera app when I tried to fire up the camera with the camera button: the app would almost always crash. That would happen virtually every time I needed to take a quick photo and when other people were present (Super embarrassing thing to have happen...).

Not to mention battery life which is so bad that I have to keep my phone on charger during my workdays just to get me through to the evening when I attach the charger before bed. The battery saver just doesn't help at all. No way can I go out at night and expect my phone to be usable when coming back home.

My W10M experience so far has been so bad, that I'm really considering changing platforms. I find this exceptionally bad being a die-hard Windows Phone user (and a ******) ever since WP7. WP8.1 was really good, fast, fluid, reliable, but W10M is not.

And no one tell me to buy a new phone, or just "live with it". The experience is just too bad and it needs to be fixed.

Wow I hear you! Exact same experience and both seems to be using 930.

But the "live with it" simply doesn't work for the current experience I have. The phone can be used and maybe forced to lived with, but that's all.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 950 from launch. Early on I did a factory reset and while it helped with Bluetooth connectivity it didn't address many problems. The various updates over the past 6+ months have helped smooth things out, especially the firmware update from several months back.

That said, problems do persist. Restarting apps often doesn't work properly, even with Microsoft's own apps. For example, Weather refuses to load any content and Health will hang on a blank screen. I have to close the app and restart it. I had the camera app fail on me yesterday. It's not the first time this has happened, but this is the first time I got a message telling me it couldn't access the camera and prompting me to restart the phone.

And the one thing I always bring up, because it's been the most frustrating, is how Bluetooth connectivity has never worked properly with my Band. For a long time all I could do with it is sync fitness data. The firmware update improved things considerably, but it's still inconsistent and unreliable. At this very moment, my Band is still displaying last night's temperature. I shouldn't have to open the Health app to ensure a proper update.

On top of all that, the OS still doesn't feel as smooth and responsive as WP8.1 did on my 920. Yeah, I can see that the device is more powerful, but the OS just doesn't feel quite as fluid. There's so much sloppiness abound.

atuarre

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Keep telling you guys that when Nadella took over Microsoft, he gave the impression several times that I didn't not care for the Windows Phone mobile or Xbox divisions.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well the i9100 running CM12 should be like this, very smooth and responsive than those more-powerful QCom S4 equipped 1st gen WP8 devices on WP8.1/W10M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYANbwxLms

However I read those US carrier variants (I777 for AT&T/T989 for T-mobile) are having more troubles adapting 3rd party ROMs than the universal version (i9100) so I'm guessing that might be your case.

Similar situation in ATIV S, the universal version (i8750) are easily hacked and adapting w10m than those carrier variants.

I have the same result on my Gnote that I do on my s2x. both phones running lollipop are laggy, slow, and freeze up needing constant reboots. I was using my note until my replacement screen came in and it was so aggravating. I would love to have both return to stock rom, but Neither will download the stock rom anymore.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[NOTE]Discussions of 3rd party Android ROMs for legacy Samsung devices has really gone off-topic for a thread entitled: What has happened to Windows 10m?[/NOTE]

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
For some really powerful hardware (950 XL), there still a fair amount of resuming screens on windows 10 mobile, especially with syncing to the band 2...

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
For some really powerful hardware (950 XL), there still a fair amount of resuming screens on windows 10 mobile, especially with syncing to the band 2...

and yet somehow people here need more proof than that to accept w10m is a mess, it just so happens that a sd810 can hide most of it through raw performance

RonWesley

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I am using window 10. I feel good to use it. Windows 10 Mobile aims to provide greater consistency with its counterpart for personal computers, including more extensive synchronization of content, a new universal application platform that allows one app to run on multiple Windows 10 devices such as PCs, mobile devices and Xbox, as well as the capability, on supported hardware, to connect devices to an external display and use a "PC-like" interface with mouse and keyboard input support.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Hope you will post your experience while using .318 build in a couple of days to see if your phone works better.

Did you upgrade from windows phone 8.1 and just continue like that? Or have you done a hard reset at any point?

Gabriel Ortiz1

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
It seems like the term "Lagdroid" is more suitable to Windows 10 Mobile from now on.
The more l use the new OS the worse the experience l get. Apps crashes more often, device always runs out of memory, the 'resuming' symptom is never ending, and why in the bloody hell that all apps that I've already closed keeps coming back when l press the back button.

To make matters worse, this isn't the Preview that I'm using. Anyone who doesn't have many experience with windows or even l who's been a WP user for years find it frustrating as if l am using a beta version.

I absolutely agree. I've gone through four different windows phones and each new upgrade brings more frustration. When it works, it's great. Unfortunately, more often than not, apps crash, load very slowly, freeze up, continuously. I've tried every sort of troubleshooting method and im also not using a preview build. I shouldn't have to reset to factory every time the phone craps out. Now, I hate Iphones and I'm not a fan of android, but neither of thos OS's have this many problems. I just wish msft would get their act together already. I.men, come on! It's been long enough.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Just hoping in with some thoughts here. I know everyone likes to pull the "grass is greener on the other side" with Android, but it's not 100% perfect over there. I have a Nexus 6 that I used for about 6 months before getting my Lumia 950 XL and still use on occasion for a few specific apps. Apps lock up on it, the device gets low or laggy, I can't resume apps from the task list, some of that stuff just happens and it's neither Microsoft's nor Google's fault (Although sometime it is).

I've personally never really had anywhere near the issues that any one else seems to have on my 950 XL and it's been my daily driver since November (I am however looking forward to the HP Elite x3!). The exception to that is that I'm on the Redstone Insider branch and the last 3-4 builds have been almost frustrating unstable at various times, but that's also to be expected when you using beta software. I saw over the first few months major improvements in the 10586 builds (part of me almost regrets jumping to the Redstone builds so soon due to their occasional stability issues).

One of the things I did make sure to do early one was to basically start over with my 950 XL. That seems to have helped and on one occasion I did have to do a full reset on my phone, but after that I noticed performance was so much better. I'd expect the mobile version of Windows 10 ending up very stable sometime soon as it took until about this point on the desktop version to hit a very nice sweet spot.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I've also been using Continuum A LOT more lately and that is one hell of an experience actually. I wish more apps supported it, but it's nice to see some social networks and most of the Windows Apps working with it and working well now!!

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why do all you keep asking for a hard reset? Is W10M such a bad OS that requires a Hard Reset every update? That does not happen on desktop version. Whatever...

It's true that upgrading the desktop does not "require" a hard reset.....but just like with these mobile devices, there is a performance advantage for doing so. With ANY OS on ANY device, it is just logical that a clean install gets better results than an upgrade.

It's the nature of the process itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999