What has happened to Windows 10m?

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's true that upgrading the desktop does not "require" a hard reset.....but just like with these mobile devices, there is a performance advantage for doing so. With ANY OS on ANY device, it is just logical that a clean install gets better results than an upgrade.

It's the nature of the process itself.

I kind of disagree, among all my devices I have had (Blackberry, Android, iOS and Windows), Windows Phone/Mobile is the only one that "need" to be "Hard reset" to "work well", that's why I think W10M is a very very very bad OS.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I kind of disagree, among all my devices I have had (Blackberry, Android, iOS and Windows), Windows Phone/Mobile is the only one that "need" to be "Hard reset" to "work well", that's why I think W10M is a very very very bad OS.

I don't even agree that it "needs" to be hard reset. I have yet to do a hard reset running insider preview on a L640 and it's running fine. The only thing that I think is a little odd is that it seems to require a few days for everything to settle down after each OS update.

h3n4

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Having now used .318 a couple of day I must say the performance and reliability is better than before. I'm still on my toes though, it's only been a few days. Battery life hasn't been tested yet but it's still not good.

I upgraded from 8.1 but have not done a hard reset. I'm wary of doing any resets, and I don't think I should either. But if it's necessary then I may have to do it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The only time I have planned to do a hard reset is when the last threshold update is rolled out and no more 10586 updates come through. And that is only if I have doubts about performance

DarthJay38

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a 950, a device supposedly "meant" to handle WM10, and I still experience a lot of issues.

My Gmail account refuses to give live tile or lock screen notifications, other email accounts hang when downloading attachments, apps randomly crash and/or restart, other apps keep reverting back to default settings (the Weather.com app, for example, insists on continuing to give me lightning strike notifications no matter how many times I turn it off in the settings), my cellular signal and Bluetooth randomly shut completely down and require a phone restart to come back on.

Now it's slowly getting better, the list above has halved since I got the phone back in December - but the OS is frankly still a hot mess. I should also note that I am NOT a part of the insider program on this device - I am only running the public pushes from MS. The idea that I should have to hard-reset my phone after a software update is unacceptable. MS has a lot of work to do, and it sounds like that it's simply not their focus right now.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I resisted the Hard Reset too. Once I bit the bullet and did it, my phone really started to work the way it should...but mine was an upgraded 8.1 phone. The hard reset really cleared out a lot of 8.1 artifacts that were messing up my phone.

Should I have had to do that? Nope. Still glad I bit the bullet and did it.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you get restore to work, after the reset? I'd like to do this too, from 318 (even though my XL started as a W10 device), to stabilize things.
However, when I did this to my wife's phone about 10 days back, on 242, but restore failed for almost everything, except the start page (settings, accounts, messaging, favorites, etc), everything basically failed to restore, and I had to manually rebuild it, that was fun.
If people are getting a verified restore now, I'm going to reset my 950XL, it can't hurt, and if restore is working, it will be minimally painful...

Thanks for any info,

weiser159

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I continually have to get on my android tablet to access outlook mail because it refuses to work on my 640. That's sad.

Messenger frequently closes and if it's not closing down on me then it's not allowing me to attach photo's. Sometimes it takes several attempts and if that doesn't work then I have to close it out and restart.

I'm not a ****** of any phone or phone OS. I had Android in the early days and have been on the WM platform for the last few years. I've had a far better experience with Android, even though I really want WM to be my primary OS. However, I'm starting to realize I'm chasing the end of a rainbow that will never exist. Not worth it. For now it's just better to go with the product that works and doesn't cause me frustration.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm *sort of* a ****** of the Windows phone, my legacy from having worked on Windows, long ago, the constructs just clinch it for me.

That said, I like my tablet, particularly now that I'm on Marshmallow, and I love the stability. I had to rest it recently though, due to battery issues, and surprisingly, it did a really poor job of re-configuring afterwards. I was really shocked, I've always had a close to 100% success with Android in this area, never hesitated for long to reset.

I'm starting to wonder about the rainbow thing too, but for now the W10 is working for me, not perfectly, but there's no decent carrier combination that works better, I'm mostly frustrated at the lack of WiFi Calling, if I had that, I'd be pretty content with my features, for now, on my 950XL.

Weird deal on the messenger stuff, I've not seen that on my phone, ever, that I can recall. I'm running mostly release-preview though; I may start running inside on an old 920 for test.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I gotta' say, it's only been one day on 318, but my battery life is a LOT better. It wasn't a heavy-use day (some light messaging, a couple of calls, a few web sessions, and a couple of tests),I'd call it light-medium, and I went from 100% last night to 76% tonight. The only thing close to that so far has been basically a non-screen-use day.
Hard to say for sure, could be an anomoly though, obviously my sample-size is small ;-]

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I continually have to get on my android tablet to access outlook mail because it refuses to work on my 640. That's sad.

Messenger frequently closes and if it's not closing down on me then it's not allowing me to attach photo's. Sometimes it takes several attempts and if that doesn't work then I have to close it out and restart.

I'm not a ****** of any phone or phone OS. I had Android in the early days and have been on the WM platform for the last few years. I've had a far better experience with Android, even though I really want WM to be my primary OS. However, I'm starting to realize I'm chasing the end of a rainbow that will never exist. Not worth it. For now it's just better to go with the product that works and doesn't cause me frustration.

There's nothing wrong with trying/using other platforms. I'm using both Android and WP10 at the moment. WP is certainly in a transition so the experience is not solid yet. If that bothers you use Android. Choice is a good thing.

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft seems to have given up on WP. That's why you see the top executives like Belfiore using iPhones with the excuse that is for "researching the competition". Nobody uses WP at Redmond, except for the 2 guys that are still coding updates. I just don't get it, why they can't get this OS right with the hundreds of engineers and the billions of $$$ they have.
They could make a great OS, on par with Android.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Question for you. Were any of the past updates you did based on Preview software. I think not. You share some of the blame for updating voluntarily to a known insider preview software. It and your experience with will get better with the formal release is made.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Maurizio Troso
Originally Posted by matt john2
It seems like the term "Lagdroid" is more suitable to Windows 10 Mobile from now on.
The more l use the new OS the worse the experience l get. Apps crashes more often, device always runs out of memory, the 'resuming' symptom is never ending, and why in the bloody hell that all apps that I've already closed keeps coming back when l press the back button.

Because is a new feature, apps stay in background as other o.s., ready for use.
Long press back button for opening Task Manager, then slide down the app you deside to close.

It's not a new feature. WP 8 did this from the start, you pressed home or switched to another running app to tombstone the current app. All they did was make it less convenient to close an app properly to avoid filling the task switcher with random garbage. I suppose though, for W10, that could be seen as a new 'feature'.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
That apps stay suspended in the memory is one thing. But if this interferes with a proper functionality is another. I do not know if this is so, but I know that the OS degenerates over a time. The longer the phone stays on, more problems start to appear, trivial things stop working. At least it was so before the latest productive update. I do not have it that long yet, but it seems better behaved so far.

Either way, this sort of problems must not appear in any productive version of any software. It's amateurish and shows a lack of quality control. This has nothing to do with a continuous development, one still has to deliver top quality. Just because you have a way to fix bugs quicker, it's not supposed to be used as a modus operandi, it should be an exception. Microsoft used to be known and respected for an excellent quality management. Now it's from one duck up to another. In the first 3 months of 2016 only 0.7% sold phones worldwide were Windows phones. I'd say Windows Mobile is pretty much dead. Nadella killed it.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention Microsoft official and native apps on Windows 10m are painfully slow take Groove for example. I listen to music every time and Groove has got to be the #1 in my list every day on the go. I can't believe how many times I had to restart my phone because Groove *ucked the whole system up. And oh, "did you accidentally pulled your headphone jack out and now you're trying to re-play the song? Let me just crash the *uck up and make your day worse" -Groove. And yes those things happens every day, and just like said before I had to soft reset my phone multiple times a day just to get back to working state again.

They should've polished things that people use most often rather those that aren't considered too important.

The official Facebook app is a big joke too I can't believe Microsoft made it.

Sorry to annoy you fellow WP fans but this is the reality I'm talking.

Cheers,

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Question for you. Were any of the past updates you did based on Preview software. I think not. You share some of the blame for updating voluntarily to a known insider preview software. It and your experience with will get better with the formal release is made.

I am to blame for buying a Lumia 950XL and never running an insider preview software. The formal release of Windows 10 was in November. It was not listed as in beta on the box of the $700 phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb