Facebook App - Increasing data usage

cochesaurus

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
After recent Facebook app update, I noticed increasing data usage, my data plan reset every month 1st, and in data sense Facebook (as of May 4th) already haves 100 MB usage :eek:rly: I'm not sure if this is probably caused by Facebook's contact sync, or maybe is data sense which is not measuring properly...

Anyone experiencing this problem?

Thanks,
Jose

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
After recent Facebook app update, I noticed increasing data usage, my data plan reset every month 1st, and in data sense Facebook (as of May 4th) already haves 100 MB usage :eek:rly: I'm not sure if this is probably caused by Facebook's contact sync, or maybe is data sense which is not measuring properly...

Anyone experiencing this problem?

Thanks,
Jose

were there any significant changes to the facebook app after the last update?

cochesaurus

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I mostly open the app when I'm on Wi-Fi, but recently I noticed that in the top of the app's screen, often a progress bar appears, that says syncing contacts or something like that. I wonder if this could be running on background when I'm using my data plan.

cochesaurus

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
As of May 6th, Facebook app (running in the background and tiled in my start screen) has consumed like 200 MB of my cellular data plan :angry:

I go to Facebook settings and set Contacts Sync to Off. Hopefully this will reduce the data consumed.

I hope in the future, once Facebook UWP becomes available for Windows 10 Mobile, it would be an option to contacts sync only when on Wi-Fi.

Regards

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As of May 6th, Facebook app (running in the background and tiled in my start screen) has consumed like 200 MB of my cellular data plan :angry:

I go to Facebook settings and set Contacts Sync to Off. Hopefully this will reduce the data consumed.

I hope in the future, once Facebook UWP becomes available for Windows 10 Mobile, it would be an option to contacts sync only when on Wi-Fi.

Regards

knowing that facebook uses so much data, I always use the browser for facebook. Earlier it had been opera mini and now it's UC browser.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, the contact sync happens everytime someone changes their profile photo, or you add new friends or smth like that. For me, it updates like once every few months, but if you have more friends, it could be more often. And that's probably the reason why it eats so much of your data plan. You can just turn off sync.
For me, it's working nice.

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, the contact sync happens everytime someone changes their profile photo, or you add new friends or smth like that. For me, it updates like once every few months, but if you have more friends, it could be more often. And that's probably the reason why it eats so much of your data plan. You can just turn off sync.
For me, it's working nice.

I do understand what it's doing, but I think that 2GB a month is excessive. It seems to happen every time I open the app and has only done this on W10M, never had this happen with 8-8.1.

twrist

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine is the same. It syncs every time I open the app, so I can only use Facebook on Wifi at the moment, or else I have to use the mobile website.

Last month, the Facebook app alone used 1.6GB of my 4G data in a single month.

It's true that turning off contact syncing 'solves' the problem, but it is hardly a solution in the longer term, because it removes all Facebook contacts from your phone's contacts - people I was having conversations with on Whatsapp etc all went missing because they were 'Facebook-only' contacts. It is a ridiculous turn of events. I understand that keeping contacts synced is a great feature, but it is a feature we've had since WP7 and I've never seen an app use this much data to do it...

cochesaurus

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Mine is the same. It syncs every time I open the app, so I can only use Facebook on Wifi at the moment, or else I have to use the mobile website.

Last month, the Facebook app alone used 1.6GB of my 4G data in a single month.

It's true that turning off contact syncing 'solves' the problem, but it is hardly a solution in the longer term, because it removes all Facebook contacts from your phone's contacts - people I was having conversations with on Whatsapp etc all went missing because they were 'Facebook-only' contacts. It is a ridiculous turn of events. I understand that keeping contacts synced is a great feature, but it is a feature we've had since WP7 and I've never seen an app use this much data to do it...

I agree, I hope that the Facebook UWP soon will be available for Windows 10 Mobile and fixes this issue. I think it could be solved by syncing contacts only when Wi-Fi is available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes