For months (years, maybe), I've been remotely starting my phone's wifi hotspot from my tablet. First with an HP Stream 7 running Windows 8.1, then running Windows 10, and now a Surface Pro 4. The phone is my HTC One M8 for Windows running Windows Phone 8.1.

A few weeks ago, it stopped working. Instead of turning on the hotspot, I'd get the message "can't set up mobile hotspot" in the tablet's wifi menu. I had seen this before, often in fact, but it was only because it took a few seconds for the phone to get the hotspot ready, and the tablet gave up on waiting. On my subsequent attempt to connect, it would work.

So I went ahead and put the Windows 10 Mobile preview on my phone. Good stuff, but didn't fix my issue. Got the phone onto Release Preview ring (also the ring my SP4 is on), but that didn't fix my issue. I've toggled the phone's setting for remote hotspot permission off and on. Nothing.

As long as bluetooth is on, the hotspot shows up, but it just won't turn on. I mean, pulling the phone out of my pocket, unlocking it, and manually toggling on the hotspot is a small price to pay to bring the collective knowledge of all the world's generations (and cat videos) to my fingertips, but hey. It is annoying.

Does anyone know of a fix?
    erikpuntnl likes this.
    05-11-2016 06:29 PM