Best way to set up Windows 10 Mobile for a kid? Kids Corner? Cortana access?

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I played around with this some in the past, but never really got it to work the way I was hoping. I picked up a cheap 640 and wanted to let me kids use it as camera, MP3 player, and for some games. They don't need an account and was planning on using mine since I used it to buy a few games for them over the years. I was going to use Kids Corner but it looks like some of the apps they need are not accessible. The main one that they'd want is Cortana. When doing school work it is really nice if they can ask Cortana to spell words for them along with a few other situations that could be useful. Is there anyway to access Cortana from kids corner?

If there is not, any suggestions on how to best secure the phone? It looks like you can't remove OneDrive and email info fully. I really wish they'd made the store on mobile the same as they did on the desktop where you can log into the store separately and then it just limits the number of devices you can download apps to. I'd be happy if I could just transfer purchased apps to a different account. Thanks for any help.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If there is not, any suggestions on how to best secure the phone? It looks like you can't remove OneDrive and email info fully.

I'm not sure this would work, and you'd lose access to the purchased games, but could you create a new Microsoft account using a third party email provider? If you set up an account with Gmail or Yahoo and didn't give them the password, they wouldn't be able to check the mail. This would give you the benefit of 1) giving them full access to the phone's features like Cortana and 2) allow you to add them as a "child" in your MS Family, which will give you tracking and control over usage.

I've never had an MS account with a third party email provider, but it seems this could work in theory. I'm guessing they'd still be able to use OneDrive and Contacts and Calendar, but you could always delete them from the Start screen to discourage it.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get things set up a little better than I expected. I was able to turn off email sync for my outlook account, add a different account, and my email is not readily available for them to access. I was able to log out of OneDrive and log into it with another account and my OneDrive is not available though the OneDrive app at least. Word and OneNote still defaulted to my OneDrive though but I was able to direct it to a local folder and remove my documents from the recent documents list. I believe that the could still browse and find my docs on my OneDrive but it would require some effort to do and I have nothing that important in there anyway. I opened up Calendar and removed my calendars. They could open it and add them back but is unlikely they would do it. The photos they take can not be backed up automatically, but with the other OneDrive account logged in, I was able to install Camera Roll backup app that will back them up to a OneDrive account of my choosing. I'll keep testing things out but I'd say so far so good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss