HELP resetting 950xl and Restoring from Backup - WITH Micro SD Card

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I have had a 950XL since day 1.
I'm planning to do a hard reset (to hopefully fix my Groove Error that nobody at MS is able to fix) but I have a few questions:

1) What is the best way to backup everything? I realize my pictures are in One Drive, but what about all APP data, my TXT messages, passwords and mainly TILES and settings?

2) I have been a GROOVE (MS Music) subscriber for a long time. My Groove app stopped working months ago on my 950XL and it kept giving me this ERROR: 0x8004c010. It works on my XBOX ONE, my wife's Iphone, but not on my 950XL This is why I want to reset. But I have been reluctant to do so for several reasons, but I am tired of no help from MS (nobody at MS could resolve this) so I am ready to pull the trigger BUT I have close to 300 songs downloaded on my Micro SD card from the Groove App:

a) SHOULD I remove the SD Card BEFORE resetting the phone?
b) If I do remove it before resetting, will Groove be able to read all my songs after restoring from Backup?
c) If I reset it with the SD card in the phone, will my SD Card also be reset/songs deleted? Will I have to re-download ALL 300 songs?

Please advise.

krishna T

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
1). You can use "Transfer my data" app to export your SMSes and contacts to SD card. And from there to your PC (just in case). There is another app called "contacts and messages backup".

a. You can remove SD card before reset. No harm in that.

b. Yes, it will recognize the songs etc on your SD card after you re-insert the card post reset.

C. I have seen it prompting whether you want to reset the SD card also , or something to that effect. But it is safe to remove before hard reset.

Posted using Windows Central app for Windows 10 Mobile

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
1.) Tiles layout and passwords will be part of your backup, most of the settings too, but not all of them. SMS backup can be turn on separately: Messaging > Three dots > Settings. Apps data will be backed up for those apps which you can find listed in Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More options.

2. a) As you want, but doesn't really matter, because of c)
b) It should be able, but I'm not sure on this - never tried it before.
c) When tapping on "Reset your phone" you will be asked if you also want to erase your SD card.

And I advise you to restart your phone right before making the backup and after it is completed, go to web Onedrive and look if your backup is listed there. That's because few times I had problems with the backup - on phone it seemed to be completed successfully, but in reality on Onedrive wasn't any backup created.. so just to be sure..

Last edited:

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Problem now is phone is asking if I want to DELETE OTHER APPS from my SD Card. It says they are from another phone....I didnt even realize I had apps in my SD card. I thought I only had MEDIA. Im afraid to say YES and have all my media deleted......

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Problem now is phone is asking if I want to DELETE OTHER APPS from my SD Card. It says they are from another phone....I didnt even realize I had apps in my SD card. I thought I only had MEDIA. Im afraid to say YES and have all my media deleted......

Tap Yes and relax, it will delete old apps and reinstall over again the same jiust downloaded by store. Media will not be touhched. Done dozens of time ;)

krishna T

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
In my experience it deletes App data only, leaving other data (media files such as photos and music). The data which is private to the App will get deleted. To be on safer side move the data to PC.
If I remember correctly if you choose the app data to be retained, such data will be shown in "other" category from "storage setting"

Posted using Windows Central app for Windows 10 Mobile

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
THank you everyone. Just went through with it. Not as bad as I thought. Everything is up and running including Groove (Finally). The only issue is that it keeps tellling me live.com acct settings is out of date....dont know why since it is working fine...

nanlogan2

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys
I have a similar issue: Had a hard reset forced upon me. I quickly removed teh SD card which had Microsoft Voice recorder just before in coold switch off for the reset... after that I slipped teh SD card again & it said there we apps on it & asked if I wanted SD card formatted... I said no & removed sd card.... I have since copied the contents of teh SD card but cannot find any apps on it. The phone does not now promt me re apps? NOw sure what is going on... Can someone give me some pointers. Thanks

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys
I have a similar issue: Had a hard reset forced upon me. I quickly removed teh SD card which had Microsoft Voice recorder just before in coold switch off for the reset... after that I slipped teh SD card again & it said there we apps on it & asked if I wanted SD card formatted... I said no & removed sd card.... I have since copied the contents of teh SD card but cannot find any apps on it. The phone does not now promt me re apps? NOw sure what is going on... Can someone give me some pointers. Thanks

You can't bring sd apps from one phone to another, or between different installations on same phone. You must always answer YES when phone will ask you for using SD card for app and deleting previous installation apps. Card will not be formatted, all pics music docs etc will remain there. Only old apps will be deleted.
Then phone itself starts downloading again from Store all apps saved on backup (it takes the most time and sometimes needs your attention)

That's like that since 8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss