Sorry, but is there a shelf life of each W10M build? Because it sure seems so.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that we've been spoiled and have become accustomed to insider builds improving with each release, so much so that we started to look forward to them. But recently, it's been the opposite, with each new build issues would arise that weren't there before hence the feeling of things going backwards rather than forwards. I guess it's not really fair on our/my part to not expect these issues with beta software, but because MS seemed to have got a handle on things over the last few months, we came to expect it to get better going forwards, not worse.

bradwestness

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
As we get near to the Anniversary Update the builds should start getting more solid and less buggy again, but yeah, after each major release they're gonna be shaky again for a while as the team starts doing more new feature work and changes rather than just fine tuning for an approaching public release. Maybe move to the slow ring?

It could also just be that your phone's storage is getting filled up as time goes on if you have a lot of pictures, apps, music, etc. on the device. It's not going to perform as well if the disc is nearly full.

Darren Vitarana

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
it's probably because the devs and qa's dont really care; maybe they probably don't use windows mobile personally, and/or they don't feel like they're working towards anything. in product management you have to give purpose to your product and the team will be brought into the vision along with the 'why' as to what they are doing and stay motivated.

current signals are that mobile is not a priority and MS don't care about their own mobile platform. no new devices in are sight, no consumer device to be passionate about either (mobiles are really the good gadgets arent they?). the heady heights of 10% usage (eg eu5) are long gone and nadella and co basically let it rot away.

that being the case who'd be bothered to do a good job?

trha

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I used W10M on my 925 for about 5 - 6 months before moving on to 950 XL. I have none of the annoying issues you have mentioned. There are still some minor performance issues but things work most of the time.

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I experience issues every two weeks as well and went back to Android for a week. Hated the Android experience and things like the phone overheating or opening apps while in my pocket (even with a security screen unlock code). I have reinstalled 10586.318 two times because issues would become so bad after two weeks I couldn't use the phone. I'm tired of reinstalling, but I really don't like the other OS choices out there.

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I too have had this impression. although things have been pretty stable lately (since .318) with my L925.
Then again, I basically given up. I'm torn between rolling back to 8.1 and having voice commands hopefully work again, but lose the new (mostly) working apps, or stay with 10, with the new updated apps but with Cortana crashing most of the times I try to use her.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
As we get near to the Anniversary Update the builds should start getting more solid and less buggy again, but yeah, after each major release they're gonna be shaky again for a while as the team starts doing more new feature work and changes rather than just fine tuning for an approaching public release. Maybe move to the slow ring?

It could also just be that your phone's storage is getting filled up as time goes on if you have a lot of pictures, apps, music, etc. on the device. It's not going to perform as well if the disc is nearly full.

In my case, it's not full storage, I don't use an SD card, and the built-in 32GB is less than half used currently. A good tip still though which may help others.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. My 950 goes mental sometimes. Just randomly switches off. Have to soft reset at least 5 times a week to overcome issues. Have had to do really annoying hard resets twice over the past couple of months, which is bloody annoying

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Does it, though? Shouldn't these be "stable" builds? I also wanted to see if anyone noticed a degradation with every single build, which clearly many have.

Production
Stop receiving pre-release builds and go back to production, official, release builds only.

As the OP says, the original question is still relevant, and even more so now that many other have had the same experience.

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
i believe this build had some huge impacts on performance for some devices on redstone :/ my only problem is the battery drain that occured at these 2 latest builds. everything else works great on lumia 535

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
You're using INSIDER builds. These are used by people who sign up to test unreleased software. You will encounter bugs and not everything will work. Some builds will just outright suck and they will all have known and unknown issues. If you want a better experience, try using a production OS.

RAJWindows

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah!! Right, I think within 6 months android phone gets a small or big update which leads to restart which helps in cleaning the unnecessary cache and some play services memory which makes phone faster!!!

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
You're using INSIDER builds. These are used by people who sign up to test unreleased software. You will encounter bugs and not everything will work. Some builds will just outright suck and they will all have known and unknown issues. If you want a better experience, try using a production OS.

Last time I checked, .318 was a PUBLIC release. I'm tired of being reminded about insider builds. You're missing my point --- I'm saying that I've noticed a degradation of a particular build after a few weeks, on stable PUBLIC RELEASES. This to me seems like a huge problem, as if the OS is not capable of maintaining its quality as time goes on. Many people probably don't notice this because a new build is released every few weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss