Sorry, but is there a shelf life of each W10M build? Because it sure seems so.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the latest production build of W10M, I think, and it seems like with every build, after a week or two things start to go south rather quickly. It's like the OS can't handle it anymore and is time for a re-boot, as if the build self destructs after a certain testing period. I've had to do multiple soft resets on my 735 over the past week for stupid ****...notifications not showing up, time disappearing on the lock screen, a lag when unlocking the phone, my Messages threads going blank, volume getting stuck on a media player that I closed hours ago, etc. It's absurd.

I'm the first to say I love WP, and I'm all for trying it out. But, this past week has caused so much frustration that I've actually switched back to my iPhone 6 for a "break". A BREAK. FROM AN OS. That's sad, and nobody can deny that. The icing on the cake was when I was trying to take photos at IKEA to remember what the furniture pieces we liked were, and it took like 5 minutes for the camera to open. Then in the car we were trying to look up movie times and my location couldn't even be determined. Pulled out my fiance's iPhone and we could do it in 5 seconds.

This is just silly. And I'm not bashing WP but now I see what everyone is saying. As nice as W10M is, it's just a hugely frustrating experience.

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
i have a few devices that currently running windows 10 m. old low spec phone do get a bit problematic over time. no apparent problems on 930 1520 and 950 so i believe this only happens to low end phones like 735. we have to accept the fact that the new os is made for new and serious hardware. some people will say that their mid-low end phones works flawlessly but i have held an 830 side by side with my 950 and the difference is obvious. the 830 is sluggish af. right now I'm just scared that even the 950 will bogged down after the anniversary update. so to answer the OP's question:- no there is no shelf life for the os, but there is for the phones.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I would have to agree with this, when the good builds come out (some have been crap from the start lately), it does seem that after a few weeks, things start to go t1ts up unfortunately. I'm running a Lumia 950, and can state with 100% certainty that the issues are not just confined to older models.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't accept the low end device line of thinking. My point is that things start out great and then tend to gradually get worse, or at least it seems that way.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Make cleans, same like desktop pc when they stats to slower and slower.
Clean Edge cache, unused apps, make room, uninstall and install apps are making too much space (e.g. WhatsApp seems to take 1 GB after some month use!).
Use a fast SD card when available, and check it if requested by os

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
strange how the random guy with the perfectly functioning phone-OS hasn't showed up yet to tell you you're wrong :p

on a serious note, maan don't worry, if you disable enough things it will eventually behave, trust me

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
strange how the random guy with the perfectly functioning phone-OS hasn't showed up yet to tell you you're wrong :p

on a serious note, maan don't worry, if you disable enough things it will eventually behave, trust me

Disable what? Why should I have to disable anything? It's annoying because I hate using my iPhone but I'm not in the mood to deal with the BS right now.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Make cleans, same like desktop pc when they stats to slower and slower.
Clean Edge cache, unused apps, make room, uninstall and install apps are making too much space (e.g. WhatsApp seems to take 1 GB after some month use!).
Use a fast SD card when available, and check it if requested by os

While operating systems and computer components deteriorate some with time, this really shouldn't still be an issue. It is like asking regular consumers to become IT professionals to operate a device that is supposed to make life easier.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
While operating systems and computer components deteriorate some with time, this really shouldn't still be an issue. It is like asking regular consumers to become IT professionals to operate a device that is supposed to make life easier.

Every android user I know cleans his phone at last every 6 months. And surely they aren't IT pro

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
don't recognize this scenario, if a build is bad for me, its bad from day one. i have been on same w10 build for months now, and is same it was on first day of installation, have you turned off all the diagnostic telemetry? that can provide a variable, sluggish feel (in feedback settings, change to basic)

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Every android user I know cleans his phone at last every 6 months. And surely they aren't IT pro

I am unaware of anyone doing this. My experience with most people is they just turn on their phones, install apps, and don't think about any of the settings. I think most aren't even aware you can clean the phone.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I've never once had any need to "clean" my iPhone and I've had it for over a year. The whole point of this thread is that every production build I've installed so far has started out superbly, and then my phone decides to put on 15 pounds and become sluggish and stupid. It's incredibly annoying...it should never take me 50 seconds to take a photo.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My experiences with 10 Mobile has been consistently subpar once you get beneath the surface.

On the plus side, it didn't degrade though over time.

I still blame MS for firing all those QA people.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2013 Moto X, and I used it for 7 months without doing any factory reset, even after getting the Lollipop update. I switched to a Moto X Pure Edition, which I used for 6 months and never did any factory reset on either. The Moto X Pure Edition needed to go back for warranty replacement due to a hardware defect. I started using the 2013 Moto X again without any factory reset, and it ran just as well as it ever had. It's back in storage now that I'm using a new Moto X Pure Edition. The 2013 Moto X isn't the latest and greatest hardware, but I never experienced any need to factory reset it, and I have 245 apps installed.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Each build is set to expire after a certain date on the desktop, this way people are always on the latest build. However I don't think this would be true for phones as a) you have limited recovery options b) can you imagine the backlash if there was indeed a "decay date" embedded into the o/s?

Did you by chance do a restore after updating the L735?

I know it sounds absurd but people have had issues after restoring a wp8.x back on wm10.

This back system makes me really miss the WM6.5 days were we could do on device back up using something like spb backup where it would back everything up to a msd card at a set time.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Each build is set to expire after a certain date on the desktop, this way people are always on the latest build. However I don't think this would be true for phones as a) you have limited recovery options b) can you imagine the backlash if there was indeed a "decay date" embedded into the o/s?

Did you by chance do a restore after updating the L735?

I know it sounds absurd but people have had issues after restoring a wp8.x back on wm10.

This back system makes me really miss the WM6.5 days were we could do on device back up using something like spb backup where it would back everything up to a msd card at a set time.

I didn't mean for my thread to be taken literally. What I meant is that after time goes on it seems to get very sluggish.

No, I didn't restore from a backup.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yup I’ve experienced the same degradation more than once where after say a couple of weeks things start going south, my carrier upgraded 830 seem as if it may be following the same path albeit nowhere near as bad… yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss