Is it worth buying a 640 or 650 right now?

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
If money wasn't a potential barrier, I'd say the 650 - but you say that you're a student, so I'm assuming money isn't in full abundance. I don't know the availability and pricing in Pakistan, so that's another complication, frustrating easy advice. Here in the UK some places sell reconditioned phones that come with a warranty, so it's feasible to get older hardware that's low cost and has some peace of mind: that would support a W8 phone using Insider Preview atm to run 10, or remain on 8, such as the 640. The 650 is a good phone, albeit without all of the features that the 950s have and I would happily buy and use it, if being sold at the right price. The 640 has been offered for really low prices in the USA over the last few months and again I would be incredibly happy to buy for $30ish and run with 10 on it, or revert back to 8.

So it partly depends on your country's phone propositions, warranties etc, if I was in the same situation. Having used 10 via the Insider Preview option I've generally been impressed and had few but only minor issues on an older handset and tried out a 650 instore and it seems great - so happily recommend mobiles with 10 to others. The OS will improve over time and the 650 will likely manage to sustain this with greater capability as time goes on.

Tsarli

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth buying a 640? Yes, but there are a couple of "ifs" though.

1) IF you live in the US. and

2) IF you can find the one they sell at Walgreens for $14 . Yes folks, $14!

So do I use it as my main phone? Of course not. I have my LG G2 for that. But for $14 you get a fairly decent GPS-enabled camera that you can play rough with and not regret in case you lose or break.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why ANYONE, at this point, would buy a Lumia. Lumia is DEAD.

EDIT: WOW, its my 400th post, the most grim one.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
nothing beats the 64- at $30 from A&TT and free to unlock. best deal around and a great phone, even now

Don't forget 80% Lumia customers are out of U.S., where phones are paid full price or bundled with montly-fee carrier.
And exporting one buyed in U.S. costs much in shipping and customs

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest to a person to buy a Lumia 650 because the 650 already has the new windows 10 updates and will get the big Redstone anniversary update coming out in July or August 2016. the lumia 640 will get the update to Windows 10 in the future but is now a windows 8.1 denim smart phone which is a stable OS.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I would have said buy the 640 a few weeks ago, but now I am getting tired of things not working, bugs, and also the apparent lack of long-term commitment from Microsoft. You can count on Google sticking with Android in the long run, and you also tie in to the entire Google ecosystem of services that are very useful, particularly for consumers: Gmail, Drive, Photos, Hangouts/other messaging, Chrome OS, etc. Soon you will be able to run Android apps on a Chromebook. Google is focused on consumers. Microsoft is focused on business.

Microsoft don't even know in what they are focused!

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Based on the comment you made that you want to stick with the platform because you have been using it for 2 years, I would say go for the 640 and stay on 8.1. In my view atleast, I don't see WM10 as an upgrade from 8.1. I bought a 640 the other day for my mom (sadly had to return it because of unlocking issues) and after using it for a day, I wanted to throw my 950XL in the bin. And if you can find one from ATT for $30, it would fit your budget too.

Alierna

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
650's performance is way better. i own both. (actually xl model). 650 is so smooth in games. that extra 400 mhz is really helping os

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 that I bought in order to try out Windows Mobile a while back. I loved it so much that I recently upgraded to the Lumia 950XL which is, by far, the best phone I've ever owned.

If you can find a 640 on sale it's easily worth the investment!

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
for $29, the 640 is a great phone. I would buy a New $119 Moto E or G first. at least you will have Apps and a Warranty.
The 640 is SLOW, camera is pretty bad, battery life is terrible (3 hours SOT will kill it) and likely will never see windows 10.
and if it did get 10, it will run even slower.
Android is a better way to go.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
for $29, the 640 is a great phone. I would buy a New $119 Moto E or G first. at least you will have Apps and a Warranty.
The 640 is SLOW, camera is pretty bad, battery life is terrible (3 hours SOT will kill it) and likely will never see windows 10.
and if it did get 10, it will run even slower.
Android is a better way to go.

there is some serious FUD there.
  • the 640 already has the W10 update
  • the Camera is - for the price of this phone - STUNNING
  • the battery life on the 640 is amazing (at least on WP 8.1)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss